OIL smoke from the exhaust - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

OIL smoke from the exhaust

so i put up a thread a while ago, stating my problem with my 2010 F4 pumping oil smoke out the exhaust on start up after doing a wheelie, that it was geting oil in the airbox

well... more of an update, and more bad news.... when on the throttle hard now it will some times blow a cloud of smoke out the exhaust (not just if u do a wheelie) it did this yesterday on a ride.... and i now know the oil is coming from the tapper cover breathers

what i'm not sure of is what could be causing this.... it wont do it all the time which is odd, if it where a valve seal, or a damaged valve it should do it all the time right??? i'm not sure if there is some kind of a one way valve that may have craped itself causing blow by?

what is clear is there is oil coming from the tapper cover breather into the airbox, so much that its actually leaking from the airbox and out around the throttle bodies on the left hand side.... still not enough to see a difference on the sight glass tho.... this oil may have been building up from when the issue first started as i have not cleaned in around the throttle bodies for a while

i will talk to the perth dealer again on monday who so far have not been much help

what i would really like to know is, is there any kind of a breather valve for the tapper cover breather lines? because that would make sense.... and be easy to fix, if not the bike will have to be striped to find the issue which i really dont want

any idea's guys ?

Last edited by hennessy; 07-21-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

also on the oil leaking from the airbox comment.... as the oil is coming from the seems of the airbox, it would seem as tho the airbox is under pressure? which would mean a lot of blow by from the valves... in which case ive a real problem

i should also say there is no noticable difference when riding the bike... no loss in power etc

i just want to know as much as i can before i have to send it to the dealer 600km's away
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:18 AM

New Site Garage
Like I said before, take it back to the dealer mate, this is not a quick fix, and it should not happen on a new bike.
I'll give you a ring sometime if you send me your number, no problems.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:20 AM

The tappet covers have a reed valve that should have the "air" moving from the airbox to the exhaust ports.
Even if this system is running backwards there should be no oil but only air (more specifically gasses).
How are we sure that this is the cause?

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

Dido with what Donsy said. Take it back to the dealer as I'm sure it's still under warranty. Have you broke the bike down yet? You can remove the tank and air box, remove top part of air box to where the throttle bodies and injectors can be seen ( kind of put the tank on a high enough seat or stack of boxes so you can keep the fuel lines connected) and crank it up and rev the throttle and see if your theory is correct. I have only had my 2012 f4 r for less than a 1 1/2 years but have broke it all the way down to just the engine and I can tell you I don't see how oil can get in your air box. I do wheelies all the time and put the knee down too and still can't see that happening. At first glance it sounds like your problem is due to fuel I'm terms I running to lean which has to so with the map your running.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennessy View Post
also on the oil leaking from the airbox comment.... as the oil is coming from the seems of the airbox, it would seem as tho the airbox is under pressure? which would mean a lot of blow by from the valves... in which case ive a real problem

i should also say there is no noticable difference when riding the bike... no loss in power etc

i just want to know as much as i can before i have to send it to the dealer 600km's away
I may be telling you how to suck eggs here, but have you had a bulletin from MV saying that the oil level at the sight glass should only be showing a 1/4 when the oil is cold ? if not it says that oil can leak into the airbox/filter, just like yours. (ask your dealer)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 AM

New Site Garage
At last

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

Awesome info And advice.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Hi, my 2010 f4 also dumps oil into the air box at top revs,the engine cuts out its that bad.Sometimes it smokes on start up.It seams to be coming from the rear breather.Mine has only done 6000 miles,its out of warranty now.I will try my local dealer for some info.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM

Hi Stephen,thanks for the info.Mine also dumps oil in the air box,I will try my local dealer for some info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode