My10 f4, where is the crank case breather hose? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

My10 f4, where is the crank case breather hose?

So i'm just after the location of the PCV valve and hose ( not sure if thats what there called on MV's i'm usedto cars) i know it goes into the air box, but is there any where more easy to get at it.

I want yo fit a oil catch can after it decided to vent oil into the airbox again, only this time it blew a massive amount of smoke while riding with a group of guy's then when i started it at the meet point infront of 100+ people after everyone was standing there checking it out, it decided to blow a bloody bush fire out the back.... Was not impressed! The most expensive and exotic bike there looking like a right peace of sh*t from something as simple as oil in the airbox

Has anyone fitted a catch can before to deal with this? Any tipswoukd b great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM

I'm sure you can follow the hose from the airbox downward. Not sure you'll find room to mount a catch can....
On motorcycles you can simply vent the crankcase to air, (point the hose toward the bottom of the motor, out of the sprocket or swingarms way).
OR,
these guys make a one way valve that's supposed to create a vacuum in the crankcase, (in reality it doesn't do this) but it does let gasses escape without the possibility of drawing in any unfiltered air.
http://www.et-performance.com/metric_cycles.html

Personally, I'd just vent to air.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Venting to air is a possible but i'd rather not vent oil some where if possible, its only a tiny amount tho cause u cant see any difference in the sight glass, but would still rather a catch can... Someone put a pick up of one ages ago, under the seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 01:06 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
PCV valve?

not sure that '10s and later have them, earlier don't

are you doing a lot of high angle wheelies?

i epoxied screen over the inlet vent of the oil separator on my F4
then put 2 'Chore Boy' pot scrubbers in the separator to trap oil mist

built a external on for my Aprilia RSVR.....it drains back into the transmission vent line

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:26 AM

New Site Garage
Take the bike back to the dealer, that is not normal.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I have put this up before and people said it is a normal problem with the 2010 F4, if you pull wheelies it'll vent oil into the airbox, it was even posted up that u should run them at the lower level of the oil sight glass.

It doesnt seem to lose much oil at all, and i think when it was just serviced they slightly over filled it, but i will call them tomorrow. I also wasnt doing wheelies at all, but i did get a little airborn over a bump at high speed and big rev's..... I thought that caused it, i will probly take the airbox off on the weekend for a good look, because it has done this in the past every time i pulled a wheelie
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM

New Site Garage
Mate, I posted up about the lower oil level, did you ask MV about this ?

As far as a bike pumping out oil if you ride it hard or accidently pulling a wheelie, being normal, I call bullshit, there's something wrong with the bike.
I can understand if it was overfilled, or if the factory turns around and says the pick-up in the gearbox is too low and therefore you should only fill it to half.

I don't remember anybody saying it's normal for the Y10 F4 to pump out that amount of oil.
There's was only one other Y10 bike on this forum which pumped out it's oil at the rate your bike is, and it's lying in pieces in Perth as we speak.

Any body who says it's normal for a bike to pump at the amount of oil you mention is losing it. And I'm not refering to some other brand bike, or some race bike, I mean a bike you buy at a dealer and ride home.

If it where my bike, I'd be sitting at the dealer. Your choice though mate, but this is just all wrong to me.
There's another guy on the forum who just took his Y10 bike racing, have you asked him ?

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54054
or/and
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54276

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

mv do sugest to run the oil level lower then the full mark... one thing i should point out is i know something is wrong, bikes shouldn't throw smoke, but this is only a very rare thing, unless pulling wheelies..... i'm about to call the dealer in perth for a good chat, trouble is i'm 6000k's away from the nearest dealer but i will try to find out exactly whats going on..... its also only throwing smoke, there seems to be no drop in oil level.... it only takes a tiny bit of oil in the airbox to throw a heap of smoke, and it always clears up on start up after a min or so

i thought it was a problem with where the valve was mounted, being to low so that when u pulled a wheelie or possible at big lean angles it sould suck up some oil.... but i will try to find out from the dealer

cheers for the help
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 AM

New Site Garage
Hahaha, I'm sure you meant 600km's away from Rick Gill's mate.
No worries, just don't want you to think this is normal, even if you op a wheelie or two. Best to get it sorted before the warranty run's out.
Give Pro-Twin in Perth a ring, speak to the owner and ask him what they did to sort the problem on Scotty's bike.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

yes haha 600km's.... and thanks for the help, i'll give them a try

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode