F4 MY10 Blowing out oil - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Question F4 MY10 Blowing out oil

Have any of you guys had this problem on the Y10 F4's ? I mean blowing oil into the airbox through the breather, when used on the track.
Obvioulsy not on my bike but on the bike that used to be raced over East and it's now in Perth.
I will suggest the guys look into a Leakdown test, and also waterpump seals, but that's all i have atm.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Oil type too thin? ring seal poor? breather hose routed wrong? I got nothing....tell him to quit holding it a gear low on that short straight and go ahead and shift...or change final gearing so he doesn't have to over-rev when a change up is required but not efficient.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Oil type too thin? ring seal poor? breather hose routed wrong? I got nothing....tell him to quit holding it a gear low on that short straight and go ahead and shift...or change final gearing so he doesn't have to over-rev when a change up is required but not efficient.
Oil is one thing in question Ed, I will have a look at the bike myself pretty soon and see if I can find something.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Is he ????

Someone once asked me if I was "out of my mind". To which I replied "of course I am, as its dark & scary in their".
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink oiler?

pull the oil separator.....there is nothing in it

now put 2 stainless ChoreBoy pot scrubbers in it....I capped the airbox and put a PCV filter on the tube coming out of the separator

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
pull the oil separator.....there is nothing in it

now put 2 stainless ChoreBoy pot scrubbers in it....I capped the airbox and put a PCV filter on the tube coming out of the separator
You've got a Y10 F4 - .
I have not had chance to look at the bike Noel, but from what I was told a similar patch was already in place, but not with much success.

I will see if I can figure out in the W/shop manual where the breather pipe comes out from on these motors.

Trying to figure out if this is a common problem on the new bikes, or a once of on this motor?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Wink

Donsy:
l4 motors don't breath much......because the crankcase volume doesn't change much,
that said the crank isn't knife edged and it does not appear that the cases have an 'oil scraper' either
the reverse rotation crank will want to throw oil at the breather area

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
Donsy:
l4 motors don't breath much......because the crankcase volume doesn't change much,
that said the crank isn't knife edged and it does not appear that the cases have an 'oil scraper' either
the reverse rotation crank will want to throw oil at the breather area
Thanks Noel. I was hoping someone else might have had the some problem on the new bikes, but not getting much back from anybody. It would be a bit sad if that fairley new motor was building up crank pressure for other more expensive reason's.
The guys seem to think the bike suck's the oil through when they shut the throttle from high rev's, the thinking is the breather in the airbox is close to #1 inlet trumpet, and this might cause enough suction to get the oil up there ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 06:00 PM

Wink ?

Donsy;
manifold vacuum is high when closing the throttles at high rpm......
but airfow in the airbox is about zero, the throttles are closed.

they didn't think about that one

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Have any of you guys had this problem on the Y10 F4's ? I mean blowing oil into the airbox through the breather, when used on the track.
Obvioulsy not on my bike but on the bike that used to be raced over East and it's now in Perth.
I will suggest the guys look into a Leakdown test, and also waterpump seals, but that's all i have atm.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Yup common as muck, sustained high rpm and prolonged time at a set throttle will fill the air box with oil. The crank case pressure has to go somewhere. I did loads of stuff 8 years ago or more on ktm engines and sorting crank breathing due to removing the balance shaft which contained the breather pick up. Anyway, long story short. I put a breather in the side of the cam chain tunnel quite high up so in theory out of oil flow. After only a few minutes the oil had bled the air out of the breather and created a vacuum. I've never seen an engine actually empty itself of oil before but this one did. It was like a hoover mate, just started filling this massive tube I hade fitted and then into a catch tank. So not uncommon at all.

I notice it on th dyno mostly but I do see it in race bikes.

It's not just an MV issue, I be had all sorts do it so don't really worry about it.

Check oil level is slightly below max level and also the grade of oil. I use 15/50 as it wont get quite so viscious and hopefully not fill th air box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode