F4 MY2010 and newer - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

F4 MY2010 and newer

Hi Everyone,
With the advice of another member and his home commander, my wife and I have narrowed our first Italian ride to be the F3/F4. As I research this, I noticed that for USA I mostly see 2010 or 2012. Did they import any 2011 to USA? 2011 appears mostly in Canada.

From my research, I have noticed some changes with the 2012:
1) Short stroke motor for 12. Any rider been on both and noticed any difference? I suspect for the 90% street use that I would never realize any of the potential difference but still wanted to hear from those who have ridden 2010 and 2012 model.
2) 2010 is listed as TIG weld. 2012 is MAG weld. I know TIG is cleaner and possibly stronger but is there any difference for those who have seen the two? The 2012RR kept the TIG welding. Must be some difference for them to keep it on the higher end model.
3) The dash selector on the MY10 has been moved to the handle bar on MY12.
Any other differences that I may have missed, such as is the passenger subframe possibly larger since they did a recall for the 2010? Any oil weeping issue, foggy headlight or failing dash as with the MY10?

Thanks for any helpful input. Now to decide between the F3 and F4. Have to wait for a dealer that will have them both to ride and compare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM

Hi,

Yes, you cannot feel the different between F4, F4R, F4RR unless you ride them side by side. Don't worry about power, they are almost the same and have more power for normal use.

I will take F4RR for the wheel. I don't like star wheel. But it just my personal opinion.

To decide between F3 and F4 is depends on you, It is totally different bike. I myself prefer to race 600 as 1000 is too powerful for me to squeeze

As far as I know all is TIG weld on Crmo chasis

Last edited by my10-jakarta; 07-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

My Jefa agrees that the star wheel is a little poser/super-star/racer boyish . She does like the F4RR, Ducati 1098s Tricolore and especially the F3 Oro wheels. Wonder if the F3 would fit the F4...hmmmmm?????

She also wouldn't mind if I put the F3 pipes on the F4...WTF? I like the low center of gravity idea but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my10-jakarta View Post

I will take F4RR for the wheel. I don't like star wheel. But it just my personal opinion.

Last edited by JHMVAGUSTA; 07-09-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMVAGUSTA View Post
My Jefa agrees that the star wheel is a little poser/super-star/racer boyish . She does like the F4RR, Ducati 1098s Tricolore and especially the F3 Oro wheels. Wonder if the F3 would fit the F4...hmmmmm?????

She also wouldn't mind if I put the F3 pipes on the F4...WTF? I like the low center of gravity idea but that's about it.
Check this out,

http://motowheels.com/i-6922845-oz-m...mv-agusta.html

There is gold version. Cheaper and should be less problem than magnesium in long term
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Established Member

JH, I guess you have discarded the Ducati by now. Good on you for making a decision towards the F4. Sorry, I can't help you on the differences between 2010 and 2012 bikes. Good luck on the search, you may have to fly to a Capital city to test both bikes together - I suspect that might be hard to find around Aus.

FWIW: If you are going to ride 2 up - I'd pick the 1000 over the 600 every time. Not that we really need that much power on the road...but it is fun.

Cheers,

Pete
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

MY10, those wheels are nice. Though she likes the other wheels, budget wise she says the OEM stars will do. She's warned me of the slippery slope of modifying it..ha, ha. She knows the disease and symptoms all too well ;-)

F4Pete, great advice on having the extra power for two up riding. I'll tell her Pete said this is to compensate for any weight gain.

Cheers!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Pete View Post
JH, I guess you have discarded the Ducati by now. Good on you for making a decision towards the F4. Sorry, I can't help you on the differences between 2010 and 2012 bikes. Good luck on the search, you may have to fly to a Capital city to test both bikes together - I suspect that might be hard to find around Aus.

FWIW: If you are going to ride 2 up - I'd pick the 1000 over the 600 every time. Not that we really need that much power on the road...but it is fun.

Cheers,

Pete
Just to add to the review Pete provided in his thread. My wife (same petite build as Pete's) and I sat on F3, Ducati 848/1x98 and Panigale 1199. The 848/1x98 felt so far back for my wife compared to my position (since I'm stretched out forward) that she felt folded in half trying to wrap her arms around me. The slope didn't help either. Then next came the Panigale 1199. The reach was less of an issue but she was perched so high, she felt like she was falling forward the most of these three bikes. Even the sales guy didn't realize before how high the passenger was. My wife didn't give the token seat much respect either. That was enough for her to say that if I wanted a Ducati, it'll be a Diavel. She could tolerate the F3 the best. Unfortunately this shop didn't have an F4 but I did sit on one without my wife later on. I think the F3 and F4 will be fairly close. Now to pay down unexpected expenses and continuing to shop for the right one at the right price.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 AM
Established Member

Wink

Quote:
F4Pete, great advice on having the extra power for two up riding. I'll tell her Pete said this is to compensate for any weight gain.
Carbon Fibre compensates for weight gain...now what was that you said about the perils of modifications?

1996 Kawasaki ZZR 250 (The first road bike - sold)
2001 Honda VFR800F (The first big bike - now sold)
Yamaha YZ426 (A bit of fun on the side - sold)
2003 Ducati 998 (The first sports bike - I want another one)
2010 MV Agusta F41000R (The current ride - I just keep smiling!)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
With the advice of another member and his home commander, my wife and I have narrowed our first Italian ride to be the F3/F4. As I research this, I noticed that for USA I mostly see 2010 or 2012. Did they import any 2011 to USA? 2011 appears mostly in Canada.

From my research, I have noticed some changes with the 2012:
1) Short stroke motor for 12. Any rider been on both and noticed any difference? I suspect for the 90% street use that I would never realize any of the potential difference but still wanted to hear from those who have ridden 2010 and 2012 model.
2) 2010 is listed as TIG weld. 2012 is MAG weld. I know TIG is cleaner and possibly stronger but is there any difference for those who have seen the two? The 2012RR kept the TIG welding. Must be some difference for them to keep it on the higher end model.
3) The dash selector on the MY10 has been moved to the handle bar on MY12.
Any other differences that I may have missed, such as is the passenger subframe possibly larger since they did a recall for the 2010? Any oil weeping issue, foggy headlight or failing dash as with the MY10?

Thanks for any helpful input. Now to decide between the F3 and F4. Have to wait for a dealer that will have them both to ride and compare.
The new F4RR replaced my F4 MY2010 some time ago. A couple of observations:

-Gears in the new models are significantly shorter than in the F4MY2010. The difference is noticeable, something like 1/2 the step between consecutive gears.
-The short stroke engine excells at hight rews. F4MY2010 probably has more torque at low revs. Shortening the gears in the new models compensates for this.
-I find the additional menu selector switch very convenient.
-handling
RR is a bit more agile and responsive, and bends into corners with less effort than earlier F4┤s. The difference is not dramatic, but noticeable. This may be due to the somewhat lighter wheels used in the RR. The RR also has Íhlins suspension units.

I have not had oil leaks or dash problems with either of them.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Greetings PePe!
Great summary and very insightful. I can't stretch my funds to acquire the F4RR. If I assume the 2012 F4R has the same transmission as the F4RR, would you consider the transmission and handle bar mounted menu selector to be worth $4500 USD difference if both the 2010 F4 and 2012 F4R could be bought new?

Thanks again for the helpful reply,
Cheers!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode