Looking to buy 2012 F4R - questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy 2012 F4R - questions

Hi there,

I am considering to get a new SBK since I am giving my great and super clean R1 to my brother in law (his bike gone, not much money with small kids and I like him:-). Here is what I've tested so far

2011 S1k - good deal on demo but very disappointed, no midrange power compared to even my R1

2012 S1k - very excited, really different from 2011. The only thing I disliked was a seat - too soft and my ass was really sore after only 220km ride. Other then that power delivery, handling, features here really superb.

2012 Panigale - really disappointed. 2cyl bike with power character of 4cyl. No torque and power bellow 7k RPM. And WAYWAY TOOO HOT.VERY sexy look but VERY stupid thermal design. Track weapon (short sessions only) but that's about it.

2011 1198 - HOT

2012 898 - HOT and didn't want to turn

didn't try 2012 Kawi and Blade yet but would like to get something different.

Having said all of above I saw 2012 F4R at a local dealer but I can't test drive it, there is no demo in the whole country (Czech) and couldn't find anything even at my second home (California). (I keep Diavel and HD in Cali and super bike in Czech). I liked seating position quite a bit and the bike is off course drop dead gorgeous. But I don't know anything about how it handles.

I test drove F3 - really nice toy, once got above 7k it really lives. Reminds me of tossing my R6 with a bit more power. In two occasions though - during a short 15km test drive - I couldn't shift from 1st to second, got stuck in neutral. And the same thing happened with 920 Brutale I drove after that.

So with all this info on hand could you guys who own 2012 F4R comment on:

- handling vs. S1k
- reliability
- gearbox ok?
- any exhaust heat? similar to Duc or better?

Many thanks, so far it looks as if S1k is the winner. But I really like the look of F4r and it is difficult to shell Euro18k for the bike I didn't ride. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:11 PM

the f4 is a looker for sure

but IMO the s1000rr is the better bike.

Don't discount the new zx10r either. It is more fun to ride than the beemer IMO. Get the ecu flashed and it will be just as fast too. You can pick one up really cheap and spend the money you save making it 10x better than anything else out there costing 18K plus.

The zx10, 1199, s1000, and rsv4 are make the F4 seem like a boat.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

After riding my 848, mine 2011 F4, has that gear change characteristic, from 1st to 2nd, usually i stuck on neutral. Also all my friends whom try the bike. After 15 minutes rides you will adapt, as also those of my friends.

Exhaust heat is much less heat compare with 1198.

Compare with Yamaha R1, 1 st gear R1 can reach 160-170 km/h, MV (also BMW) can reach only 120km/h, this might makes your R1 feels much faster, but not if you drag them together. Even my 848 feel faster (but not in actual if you drag them side by side.)

Reliability - Some owner here has quite high mile. Problems also happens to others. Please check http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45207

Handling - for me R1 and R6 are bikes that are not easily to turn > 100km/h. I need to push the bike with my body. And for 2011 F4, I just imagine and the bike follows it. Better than R1/R6. For city ride, the riding position makes the bike like 1198, prefer those R1/R6.

I buy my F4 for "look" reason and it is rideable. However most of my friends (also yours) will tell S1000RR more worthed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diavel View Post
Hi there,

I am considering to get a new SBK since I am giving my great and super clean R1 to my brother in law (his bike gone, not much money with small kids and I like him:-). Here is what I've tested so far

2011 S1k - good deal on demo but very disappointed, no midrange power compared to even my R1

2012 S1k - very excited, really different from 2011. The only thing I disliked was a seat - too soft and my ass was really sore after only 220km ride. Other then that power delivery, handling, features here really superb.

2012 Panigale - really disappointed. 2cyl bike with power character of 4cyl. No torque and power bellow 7k RPM. And WAYWAY TOOO HOT.VERY sexy look but VERY stupid thermal design. Track weapon (short sessions only) but that's about it.

2011 1198 - HOT

2012 898 - HOT and didn't want to turn

didn't try 2012 Kawi and Blade yet but would like to get something different.

Having said all of above I saw 2012 F4R at a local dealer but I can't test drive it, there is no demo in the whole country (Czech) and couldn't find anything even at my second home (California). (I keep Diavel and HD in Cali and super bike in Czech). I liked seating position quite a bit and the bike is off course drop dead gorgeous. But I don't know anything about how it handles.

I test drove F3 - really nice toy, once got above 7k it really lives. Reminds me of tossing my R6 with a bit more power. In two occasions though - during a short 15km test drive - I couldn't shift from 1st to second, got stuck in neutral. And the same thing happened with 920 Brutale I drove after that.

So with all this info on hand could you guys who own 2012 F4R comment on:

- handling vs. S1k
- reliability
- gearbox ok?
- any exhaust heat? similar to Duc or better?

Many thanks, so far it looks as if S1k is the winner. But I really like the look of F4r and it is difficult to shell Euro18k for the bike I didn't ride. Thanks again.

I have a 2012 F4R. It has about 2000 miles on it. I have had no issues with it. Gear box is smooth and throttle response is pretty good. It does run hot as indicated by the temp gauge, but even in bad traffic the bike seems to handle it. Also, it doesn't cook your thigh or butt. My friend has a 2011 BMWS1000RR. Very nice bike. Very smooth. It feels to me like the F4R has better mid range. I'm sure with 15 more ponies the BMW has greater top speed. The BMW suspension is much more compliant on the rode. The F4R is stiff like a track bike. The stock exhaust on the F4R sounds much more aggressive than the BMW. I bet even if you changed both to after market exhausts the F4R will sound better. It has a very unique sound. For me, the F4R looks better. Very unique and exotic, if that is important to you. Before I purchased the F4R, I contemplated BMW. I'm not a track guy so that was not much of a consideration for me. While the BMW is one hell of bike with more HP and seems to win all the reviews, it didn't do it for me.

I also have a 2011 1198SP. It has about 1900 miles on it. The bike is beautiful too. Still give it the F4R though. The 1198 has butt loads of torque. Actually scary how much it has. Thank goodness for traction control. I replaced the stock exhausts with Akros and the bike sounds so mean. You combine the exhaust note with the rattle of the dry clutch and it is very cool. Some folks don't like it. I think it is real character. The bike runs hot too. About 212F in traffic on a warm day. No problems though. The clutch is grabby and it is a pain to poddle around in the lower gears at low RPMs, unlike the F4R. The 1198SP cooks your butt. You don't much feel it in leathers. For sure in textile on a hot day. You learn to live with it, however. Gear box on the 1198 is pretty smooth and comes with a quick shifter.

Neither bikes are good at carrying a passenger. I took the passengers pegs off. Bikes looks better with them off anyway. I'm lucky to have both. If you could only have one bike. The BMW is probably the best all rounder I would imagine. I thought its ridability (suspension, etc.) much better than the 1198 and a little better than the F4R. You are much more canted over on the 1198, the F4R versus the BMW.

Like the other member said, the Kawa zx14 gets good reviews. I have never riden one. Good luck with your decision. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode