2010 F4 Gearbox issue - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

2010 F4 Gearbox issue

Hi guys, i've encountered a problem with the gearbox on my F4 and was wondering if anyone else on here has come across this or could offer some advice.

Background: I bought the bike new about three months ago. It was old stock (2010 manufacture, subframe recall bike) as the former dealer had lost the agency and was clearing whatever it had in the warehouse. In this three months i've put about 1800kms on it and have also been taking it for trackdays after passing 1000kms about a month ago.

Problem: Since the first time i took it to the track, i've been getting false neutrals when downshifting from 5th-4th and sometimes 4th-3rd. This happened once on almost every session during that first weekend on track. I honestly have not encountered false neutrals before but basically the bike gets lost between gears accompanied by horrible crackling of gear teeth contacting each other. Once i get the bike slowed down it'll thunk into gear. This happens with the clutch in and tapping on the shift lever does not help when the speed is still high. I initially put it down to me being rusty with a regular shift pattern (previous bikes reverse shifting) and maybe applying too much pressure on the shifter before pulling the clutch in.

Yesterday/today i was at the track again but altered my riding to scrub off more speed on the brakes before shifting down and to stomp hard on the downshifts. Less getting lost between gears but it still happend 3-4 times, probably too much pressure on the shifter again. But on the last session heading down the straight as i shifted into 4th and got on the throttle, the bike accelerated and then popped out of gear for about half a second before finding it's legs again. This is definitely not my riding then.

Since picking up the bike i've had it serviced by an independent workshop that alot of MVs and Ducatis go to. I mentioned the problem to the guy who runs it and he says another owner had the same issue with his bike and that it was sorted under warranty with a replacement gearbox (!), but he admitted that he didn't know exactly what problem was discovered. My issue is that i do not trust the new dealer, they don't even have their own workshop/tech but instead sub-contract the work out to someone else.

Could this issue be related to the return spring or might it be a bigger problem? If it's just the return spring or something minor i'll just get it sorted on my own coin with the independent workshop, but if it might be something bigger i'll have to consider making it a warranty issue with the new dealer (something i'm not keen on plus i don't know how they deal with warranty issues). Any other possible solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and thank you all in advance for any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
There's been an upgrade/recall to fix the gearbox. The return spring needs to be replaced and your problems will vanish like snow in the summer sun. I've had the same issues with mine. Especially with 2nd gear. Ask your dealer.... and welcome to the site

“MV Agusta F4 2010 black / Aprilia RS250 / Ducati Panigale V4S.”
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Eric. I did read your thread and hope it's just the return spring, although i thought it safer to post a thread up in case anyone had other experiences or ideas. What concerns me is that it's happening in 3rd/4th gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM

That's a known issue.
I've change and all it's OK now.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45207

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffie View Post
Thanks Eric. I did read your thread and hope it's just the return spring, although i thought it safer to post a thread up in case anyone had other experiences or ideas. What concerns me is that it's happening in 3rd/4th gear.
its the return spring.......it doesn't care about what gear you are trying to shift into.......how about putting it in "Maintenance"

hey i asked Admin for separate 2010+ F4 and Brutale sections.....because the problems are totally different.......oh well

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, sorry about posting in the wrong section.

Could a Mod move this thread to the right place?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Being the " Devil's advocate"...I personally don't think you have anything to apologise for as you clearly posted as 2010 F4 and against the backdrop of a long running thread on " What did you do to your bike today ? " and an article on customising a Honda plastered all over F4 section.

But then I guess this is a forum and not a club and anyone can wander in and do what they like really ..?

Not knockin Noel's point in last post but it just makes the forum so much more usable if there is some decorum to it. Nobody trying to rain on anybody's parade..

I hope you get your bike sorted...It sounds like you will.

joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 05-06-2012 at 05:57 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
Quote:

Noel was just you. Better get used to it if you plan to hang around here....

“MV Agusta F4 2010 black / Aprilia RS250 / Ducati Panigale V4S.”
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all the advice guys.

I spoke to the mech from the previous dealers, he has heard about the issue but apparently they never received any information or memos from MV about a recall for the return spring. Guy in charge (there seems to be only one) at the new dealers is out of town till Friday.

I've dropped an email to Evolutionbike to see if they can get the updated part for me. I'm planning to order a few things from them anyway so they can add it to the package, hopefully they can get the return spring.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink spring?

raffie;
the shifting problem is a well known problem on '10+ MVs, if you use "search" you will find it

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode