I really don't understand some of you - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I really don't understand some of you

I really don't understand some of you guys. Really I don't and it's not meant to be an insult. But to me it seems a there is a lot of bad attitude towards the 2010 F4 mainly because it's pricing potentally makes it more affordable to more people as such you'd lose your "elite" status.

I look at the 2010 I see tons of positives enough to make be go back to an MV. For starters I love the fact that they stayed true to the MV F4 look and didn't go the 999 or super ugly route Japan has gone the past few years. But while staying true to the original they've changed enough so that you can get a taste of Adrian's styling, as well as having addressed a few common issues MV owners have long complained about. Yet now you guys complain? I don't get it

Changes were made to address the heat issues and improve airflow, yet you guys complain.

Now out the box the fueling is better (I never thought it was bad to begin with) and again you guys complain.

Funny all the comments about how cheap the exhaust and fender looks, this despite the fact that these are things you guys all seem to replace anyway.

As a previous owner of 3 MVs I have to say that I guess I was one of those rare people who it seems the bike was molded for. It fit me perfectly and I loved it. So while that was the case the new bike is different but it's not drasticly different and nothing I didn't quickly get use to.

for me personly I love the new design and the fact that they dropped the extra CCs and are taking on the rest of the litre bike field straight up. I am not impressed by electronics and have no use for them, and disable them on any bike I have that comes with them so the fact that it's not as complex at BMW's or Ducati isn't an issue for me. I prefer to ride and control the bike not the other way around. "full throttle" doesn't mean full motor and that's pretty much all I have to say about electronics

I think the bike is incredible and reminds me why I loved MVs in the first place. My only "complaints" are that I'm not a fan of double bubble screens and prefeer low profile screens (no worries will have one made). No Mono option and the fact that the air vents underneath the belly pan require that I remove the lower fairing when loading in the truck. Again not a big issue as it all will be replaced with race bodywork

If I'm in the minority then I'll just say that I think MV (HD influence or not) did a great job with the 2010. They did their best to try and address known issues of the past, improve performance and move the design forward enough while still making sure it looked like an MV (kind of like Lambo and Porche) and not simply just add CCs and put a fancy paint job on it as was the trend in the past. The only question for me now is to see how support and reliability will be.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ronin05; 06-23-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Good point Ronin, I'm totally with You on this. I just do not have the bucks for it.
post #3 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 AM

The new MV is definitely a good bike.

All the nitpicking that goes on is just that, nitpicking. But that's okay.

I've been a fan of Adrian since the Benelli. But, at the end of the day, some will prefer the smoother lines of the older model and others will prefer this new modern look.

The truth is that once Liter bikes cracked the 140hp mark, 95 percent of motorcyclists could not extract all of the performance that is offered to the public. This reasoning alone is the reason why I personally have not bought into the R,312, 1078, and now this version. I can't use it all.

Novelty always causes a stir and it's because our brains are so advanced that we need "Newness" to be continually stimulated and satiated. In spite of all the novelty, the fact of the matter is that in some ways the new bike is superior, and in other ways it is inferior to the old one. But that's not just with MV, that goes with any make. Take for example the Kawasaki ZX-10. The new bike is inferior to flickability to the 2004 version but it is superior in the area of refinement. There's always a trade off.

Man's scientific and engineering practice has not evolved to the point where we can have our cake and actually eat it. Engineers have not figured out how to design a perfectly stable bike and have it perfectly flickable at the same time. They strive to find that sweet spot and every year we get closer. If our bikes were perfect we would not have to come out with a new version every 2-4 years. Even at the Moto GP level riders complain of flaws.

So in the end it's just a matter of buying the bike that helps us reach our own potential as riders that we lust for. For some that means having the latest and greatest, for others that means what helps them lap the fastest, for others it's a bond. All of these purchases for many are emotional purchases. Because for the vast majority, maybe even 99% of us, it sure isn't rational.

Rant over.

2005 MV F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
I'm just jealous that I'm too poor to buy the new model......

so I'll just keep mine that I have now!

If at first you don't succeed, use a hammer instead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 AM

I really like the new bike but I was hoping for more HP at least for bragging rights.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #6 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the forum Ronin05.....+1 on your comments.

Race body? will you be doing track days exclusively, or also some street riding?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM

I personally don't like the new styling but mechanically she sounds great. I'm happy for anything that will help Agusta continue on...

'02 MV F4. '01 SV650, '79 XS650 Cafe

"Give it throttle 'til you see the face of God. Then hit the brakes."
post #8 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
I really like the new bike but I was hoping for more HP at least for bragging rights.
Lie!!
post #9 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Established Member

I think it's even more simple. Show me somebody who has the new bike but says they like the old model better or vice versa... you can't find'm. People just want to believe what they have is the best because it might transfer and therefor make them the best rider or the smartest at least.

Look at how people (forum posters) slag off former GP, WSBK, AMA, BSB racers turned journos when they don't pick the bike they own as the best. Instead they accuse the rider/journalists, (who often have ridden every sportbike made for the last 10 years, as well as top level race bikes, and who have an actually point of reference,) as shit and don't know what they're talking about, take bribes from Honda for advertising, bla bla, bla.

The old bike was gorgeous. Nice rounded edges. Starting to look big and heavy compared to 2010 models. The new bike is also gorgeous and has sharp edges and it now looks up to date. Things have to move forward, the spirit of the original is still very much there.

2006 Brutale 910S
2009 GSXR 750 track bike
2006 GSXR 1000 track bike (sold)
post #10 of 198 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Any time a manufacturer brings out a replacement model you will get this, it's just human nature, it's like the whole world (inc the manufacturer) is saying:

'The new bike is better than the old one'................and people who own the 'old' bike are quite rightly going to jump up in defence of it, it happens on all the other forums,

It's also happening with the thread starter ( Ronin05 ) talking about the electronics of the Ducati and BMW, he says 'I like to control the bike and not the other way around' he's justifying his purchase and defending it against the high tech of such bikes in exactly the same way owners of older F4's are doing against the new one

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Last edited by mikef4uk; 06-23-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode