2012 F4RR owners - potential issue? - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
2012 F4RR owners - potential issue?

This is a warning and a request for info in one hit!!

I've heard of a few issues (as well as my one not functioning) with the tip over switch on this particular model so this is a warning for owners to check the functionality of the device as a precautionary measure.

To check this the fuel tank needs to be lifted and with the engine running the tilt switch can be removed and simply rotated 90 degrees to simulate the bike being on its side - the engine should cut out. I think this is a wiring fault not the switch itself so should be easily rectified, if you do test this out can you report back here with your findings even if the test worked ok as this could be limited to a certain batch of chassis numbers/years/models so the following info would be great:

Model
Year
Does the switch cut the engine?

If a real issue comes to light I will be contacting MV as this could be a product recall situation so if your switch does not turn off the engine a PM with your chassis number will be very useful.

If requested I'll put together some instructions and pictures of how and what to test.

2012 MV F4RR Corsa Corta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Established Member

I'll check on mine, but can only do it over the weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

'12 F4RR CorsaCorta, '12 F3 675
'18 Ducati Xdiavel
'15 Triumph Daytona 675R -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new toy

Previous-Sold...That I remember
'05 Yamaha R1
'09 Yamaha R1
'12 BMW S1000RR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Al-

I lowsided mine at the track and it was still running when I came to a stop. I'm going to assume that it does not work for me

2004 F4 SPR F4RR Corsacorta Powered
2006 Brutale 910S
2012 F4 RR
2012 F4 RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
Mine doesn't work. same as Al's situation above.

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM

New Site Garage
I think when Emma fell over last year she didn't shut off. I was in a bit of a panic so I'm not positive but I think I recall thinking she should have but had reached down and hit the kill switch. She's a 2014 so it may not be limited to 2012 if I'm right. I'm bringing her to the dealer on Saturday. I'll ask they check it since they will have the tank off and post the result.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
I think when Emma fell over last year she didn't shut off. I was in a bit of a panic so I'm not positive but I think I recall thinking she should have but had reached down and hit the kill switch. She's a 2014 so it may not be limited to 2012 if I'm right. I'm bringing her to the dealer on Saturday. I'll ask they check it since they will have the tank off and post the result.

The 14 uses an IMU (mounted in the nose of the front fairing behind the clocks). Its not a simple tip over sensor. The wiring is to the CAN bus and if there is s fault with the wiring or sensor, it will be flagged up. This does not mean the ecu will tell the bike to stop, the sensor and wiring can be correct, but if the code is wrong well...

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 01:56 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
The 14 uses an IMU (mounted in the nose of the front fairing behind the clocks). Its not a simple tip over sensor. The wiring is to the CAN bus and if there is s fault with the wiring or sensor, it will be flagged up. This does not mean the ecu will tell the bike to stop, the sensor and wiring can be correct, but if the code is wrong well...
Interesting. My '08 Raider has a shut off if the bike goes horizontal. Are you saying the MV does not?

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Interesting. My '08 Raider has a shut off if the bike goes horizontal. Are you saying the MV does not?
All the MVs should have a "Tip Over Sensor"..... Kills the fuel pump when activated.

Haven't tested mine, but some bikes have a small time delay in the software that keeps things going for a few seconds just in case you aren't actually crashed.
MotoCross bikes have a really long delay to allow riders a chance to pick it up if they fall down in a race.

Older models use a simple analog sensor...like a steel ball in a u-shaped tube or a mercury switch. Simple to test with an ohmmeter.
New IMU systems are a LOT more sophisticated, but are incredibly reliable unless someone ham-fisted works on the bike, adds electrical stuff when they don't know what they are doing, or compromises connectors in the harness.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 11-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 08:19 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
All the MVs should have a "Tip Over Sensor"..... Kills the fuel pump when activated.

Haven't tested mine, but some bikes have a small time delay in the software that keeps things going for a few seconds just in case you aren't actually crashed.
MotoCross bikes have a really long delay to allow riders a chance to pick it up if the fall down in a race.

Older models use a simple analog sensor...like a steel ball in a u-shaped tube or a mercury switch. Simple to test with an ohmmeter.
New IMU systems are a LOT more sophisticate, but are incredibly reliable unless someone ham-fisted works on the bike, adds electrical stuff when they don't know what they are doing, or compromises connectors in the harness.
That makes sense. I reached to shut off Emma in just a couple of seconds so maybe too soon to be automatic. Emma's all stock so no one has added anything that could make the system wonky. Thanks Ed.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 AM
X81

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosc View Post
Mine doesn't work. same as Al's situation above.

It should now, we rewired it and it's the reason for this thread being started. I suspect that the newer switches are wired up incorrectly but need to get a few bikes in and test it. I use the MV tilt switch on other bikes when i build custom looms so as a switch it works just fine, there is around a 1-2 sec delay but they do cut power and kill the engine. Because we could see it through your microtec i could see it wasn't switching off. I'm fairly certain that in the end we rewired it. As winter is here maybe i can head down to you and spend an hour or so doing some tests with std ecu's and microtecs with wiring set as per the manual.

I do think there is a larger underlying issue here that MV might need to address but until actual details are taken and a set test procedure sorted there won't be anything to go back to them with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode