Buying advice needed: 2012 vs 2013+ F4 1000 - MVAgusta.net
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Question Buying advice needed: 2012 vs 2013+ F4 1000

Hello mates!

As I stated in my intro, I am seriously thinking about getting an MV F4. I have read the forums a lot, but still have a few questions, for which I did not find the exact answers. So that is why I am asking for your help, opinions.

But first, about me. I have been riding an Aprilia RS250 for quite a few years, so regular services and temperamental bikes are not sth new to me. (Although, truth to be told, it never left me on the side of the road..)
I am riding only on the street, there is no track nearby. And probably I will not do any track days in the near future too, so I am looking on the purchase from this point of view. (the RR with the TXX is an overkill for me, and an unnecessary probable source of problems)

So, from the point of reliability and usability, is the 2013 upgrade of the F4 would worth choosing over a 2010-2012 bike with the Marelli ECU? Honestly, I do not really need the power upgrade of the corsacorta engine also. I just want an achingly beautiful and fun bike to ride on the nearby B-roads for lot's of years to come. The main things, that complicate the decision for me are the newer ECU and the ABS - is the latter one worth it?

There is a silver 2012 bike (F4 or F4R) for sale, with some smaller repaired body damages, on which I could possibly get a bargain price - first owner bike w 13000km (about 8000miles). I was thinking to get a full repaint for it (black w red accents like the Senna 750), so the previous accident and the grey/silver colour may not be crucial.

What are your thoughts about this? Any help is appreciated.

And would like to ask, if there is a buying guide for 2nd gen F4 here, what too look out for, please post the forum link for it, because I did not succeed to find it...

Thanks a lot!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
I would be very cautious of buying a bike that has been crashed.

Most owners become different beings when selling something, so therefore damage will usually be understated. Sure, it might be cheaper, but not necessarily a bargain. Ideally, a person conversant with accident/repair qualifications should inspect the bike for or with you.
vtomi48 likes this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 03:35 PM
Established Member

My 2010 F4 is the best bike Iíve ever owned. The realisation of a dream for me.
Iíve never ridden a bike with abs so canít help there.
Iíve never played with the traction control on my F4.
Switchable rain map is handy.
Sensible mods (uprated water pump, samco hoses, decat headers and Ecu to match) to mine have made it a great all round, every day bike.
I tracked it once, just to say I had done it. Letís just say itís performance vastly outweighed my talent!!

Hope this helps

Fred
SamUK, nigelrb and vtomi48 like this.

MV F4 1000 2010
Benelli Tornado Naked Tre 899 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=Fredzedex;2609307]My 2010 F4 is the best bike Iíve ever owned.

Totally agree with Freds comment. I have owned my 2010 F4 for 3 years and it has given me immense pleasure.
I can not speak for your talent, but for me I doubt I would need or could even use the extra power a newer model might bring.
Remember it is a machine you need to keep well maintained and it will serve you well.
As Nigel says do you research and checks on any damage bike you buy, your safely is worth more than a small saving on price.

Enjoy!
vtomi48 likes this.

2010 F4 1000R
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Nigelrb, Fredzedex, SamUK, thanks for your thoughts on this topic!
Yes, I agree, bikes with accident history can be a costly trap. In that case, I would definitely be careful and go to check it with a skilled&experienced mechanic.
As far as maintenance goes, I know, I would have to take good care of it. (Regular maintenance is kind of normal for me, considering the bikes + the Alfa I own...)
No, I am well aware of my talents, so I would respect the power of then 2nd gen. F4 1000 very much.

So you say, in everyday rideability and reliability there is not that much difference in the pre 2013 and the post 2013 models? Wondering whether the facelifted model worths the extra price..
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The major difference from the early and later second generation F4s is the electronics. Chassis and engine are basically the same.

With advanced electronics come benefits and downsides, complexity being the primary downside.
vtomi48 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
The major difference from the early and later second generation F4s is the electronics. Chassis and engine are basically the same.

With advanced electronics come benefits and downsides, complexity being the primary downside.

Thanks! That is what I have been suspecting too...
I am leaning more and more towards a 2010-12 model..
Fredzedex likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomi48 View Post
+ the Alfa I own...)

Which Alfa?

I have 2010 1750 turbo Brera

Fred
paulo. and vtomi48 like this.

MV F4 1000 2010
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredzedex View Post
Which Alfa?

I have 2010 1750 turbo Brera

Fred

That nice!! I'd like one like yours too.
I am a proud owner of a GT Truth to be told it is a 1.9 diesel, not the legendary Busso ( I know, a diesel Alfa is like a woman with a moustache, but I have to be sensible to balance my garage of bikes )
Fredzedex likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomi48 View Post
That nice!! I'd like one like yours too.
I am a proud owner of a GT Truth to be told it is a 1.9 diesel, not the legendary Busso ( I know, a diesel Alfa is like a woman with a moustache, but I have to be sensible to balance my garage of bikes )

Very cool my friend, I had a a 2.0 petrol GT. Great car

Fred
vtomi48 likes this.

MV F4 1000 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode