Please Educate Me Regarding the F4RC - MVAgusta.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Please Educate Me Regarding the F4RC

I'm mulling over going for an F4RC. I know there isn't much on these bikes and I've done a search with limited results. Can you guys help me answer the following:

1) I know these things put out anywhere between 168hp and 175hp to the wheel in stock trim. Can you enlighten me as to what product is the "Go-To" product for ECU tuning on these bikes?

2) The F4RR seems like a more economical route but is the RC worth the $20k difference? Aside from the carbon fiber bodywork, head porting, cam profile, forged pistons, and Titanium Slip-on, I'm not seeing a $20k value.

I don't care so much about spec sheet performance numbers. I can ride anything fast. However, I do look forward to both subjective and objective views regarding breakdowns and maintenance.

I've been away from MVs for a while but have rekindled my love with my '05 1000S and I would like to add the new generation to garage.

2005 MV F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:29 PM

OK, so I can answer part of it for you. Firstly I don't own an RC, I've worked on them 2 to be precise, both track only.

As far as ECU tuning is concerned, I'd go ECUStudio every time, both the RC's I've worked on I've flashed with ECUStudio and I'm currently running the RC ECU Flash on my F4 (all eldor ecus for MV's are the same, just a different flash), subjectively I'd say the TC is a little better, but its very difficult for me to be certain at this stage, and I've no track time planned for the remainder of the year, and I can only test that stuff using bum on seat at the track, the dyno or road, is just not good for subtle stuff.

Would I buy an RC for the price? not if what you want is a track bike. Part of the RC price is the exclusivity, that said I'd be very annoyed if I bought one of the original RC limited editions for them to bring out a new limited edition with paint work differences. If you are track based, you will probably change the fairings anyway. I don't like the electronically adjustable Ohlins on the RR, so mine is manual ohlin's at the rear and cartridges in the front. One less thing to go wrong! I prefer Galespeed brakes so I run the Brembo calipers, PFM iron disks, and Galespeed master cylinders. I also run F4RR/RC chassis side plates for the swing arm adjustment.

The power increase over the F4 & F4RR for me is not worth it either, around UK tracks the few BHP is not noticeable if you are half decent, its more about the rider than a few BHP at peak. I can stay with the RC's around Cadwell and Oulton Park, you might notice it more at Sliverstone or a fast GP circuit, but again its not night and day. Weight saving, yes carbon makes a difference, but not that much compared to the massive weight saving of the SC Project exhaust. The stock exhaust is very heavy and the weight in my opinion is just too high and I hated the way it affected the bike. I'm still making a copy of the stock exhaust in Ti, its on the back burner so I also have the SC slip on, decat, no exhaust valve and a WMR air filter, a light weight battery all add up to shift weight from the bike.

Only problem above and beyond the normal F4 range was the oil leaks from the mag cases, they relaxed a bit more than the stock ones, there was a service note about this.

So if your like me, you wont buy the RC and you will go for an R or RR and modify it to suit, it will cost less than the RC and be yours. That said if you want to polish and pose, then the RC is better than the other F4's from a top trumps perspective. Mind you any F4 will get people looking at a bike cafe.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever direction you go.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750

Last edited by dansoarr; 09-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
OK, so I can answer part of it for you. Firstly I don't own an RC, I've worked on them 2 to be precise, both track only.

As far as ECU tuning is concerned, I'd go ECUStudio every time, both the RC's I've worked on I've flashed with ECUStudio and I'm currently running the RC ECU Flash on my F4 (all eldor ecus for MV's are the same, just a different flash), subjectively I'd say the TC is a little better, but its very difficult for me to be certain at this stage, and I've no track time planned for the remainder of the year, and I can only test that stuff using bum on seat at the track, the dyno or road, is just not good for subtle stuff.

Would I buy an RC for the price? not if what you want is a track bike. Part of the RC price is the exclusivity, that said I'd be very annoyed if I bought one of the original RC limited editions for them to bring out a new limited edition with paint work differences. If you are track based, you will probably change the fairings anyway. I don't like the electronically adjustable Ohlins on the RR, so mine is manual ohlin's at the rear and cartridges in the front. One less thing to go wrong! I prefer Galespeed brakes so I run the Brembo calipers, PFM iron disks, and Galespeed master cylinders. I also run F4RR/RC chassis side plates for the swing arm adjustment.

The power increase over the F4 & F4RR for me is not worth it either, around UK tracks the few BHP is not noticeable if you are half decent, its more about the rider than a few BHP at peak. I can stay with the RC's around Cadwell and Oulton Park, you might notice it more at Sliverstone or a fast GP circuit, but again its not night and day. Weight saving, yes carbon makes a difference, but not that much compared to the massive weight saving of the SC Project exhaust. The stock exhaust is very heavy and the weight in my opinion is just too high and I hated the way it affected the bike. I'm still making a copy of the stock exhaust in Ti, its on the back burner so I also have the SC slip on, decat, no exhaust valve and a WMR air filter, a light weight battery all add up to shift weight from the bike.

Only problem above and beyond the normal F4 range was the oil leaks from the mag cases, they relaxed a bit more than the stock ones, there was a service note about this.

So if your like me, you wont buy the RC and you will go for an R or RR and modify it to suit, it will cost less than the RC and be yours. That said if you want to polish and pose, then the RC is better than the other F4's from a top trumps perspective. Mind you any F4 will get people looking at a bike cafe.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever direction you go.

This is great info and will definitely give me something to think about over the next few days. I'm not sure that I'm a fan of the electronic suspension either but I'm not completely against it. I can usually find a good baseline setting and ride around any perceived shortcomings. I wonder if the oil leaks were caused by the bike sitting for extended periods. I guess it would be wise to buy some spare gaskets.

The nice thing is that the RC kind of needs nothing. Just a flash and you're done. The RR will take some work, trips to the dyno, and accessories etc. Thanks again for the feedback.

2005 MV F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post

The nice thing is that the RC kind of needs nothing. Just a flash and you're done. The RR will take some work, trips to the dyno, and accessories etc. Thanks again for the feedback.
Considering you originally didn't see the 20k delta in value ...is the time/effort to tune it (plus the goodies) now worth the $$ ?

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Considering you originally didn't see the 20k delta in value ...is the time/effort to tune it (plus the goodies) now worth the $$ ?
Honestly, I dont really see it. But, I may still buy it though. One of the things holding me back is that Im seeing RRs being offered at discounts which is unheard of for MV.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:32 PM

New Site Garage
Bang for buck a new'ish 'RR' is hard to beat

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 AM

Also don't forget the RR has electronically adjustable not controllable suspension. So there is no active element, what it does is remove the need for a spanner and screwdriver to adjust setting. It does not control damping as you ride. Just for clarity.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoarr View Post
Also don't forget the RR has electronically adjustable not controllable suspension. So there is no active element, what it does is remove the need for a spanner and screwdriver to adjust setting. It does not control damping as you ride. Just for clarity.
Got it! Yes I saw the dash where you choose rebound and compression settings etc. That'll be annoying for my local tuner who does my setups. hahahahahha

I think I could live with that. It's nice to have if you're on a street ride or even visiting a new track you don't have to pull the tools out of the truck/trailer. I HATE wrenching at the track. It saps my energy when I should be resting in between sessions.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
Bang for buck a new'ish 'RR' is hard to beat
It REALLY is man. I've had my eye on that matte F4RR for a while now. I really need to just get on with it and pull the trigger.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:04 PM

You seem to be a person that buys a bike and keeps for a long time so if money isn't a problem I would go with the RC meaning the most expensive. If you believe you'll be selling soon buy RR and save you some money.
On the other hand if you prefer to customize start with a regular F4 and go crazy with all the goodies you can add and "build" your own dream bike. I started with a base 2013 F4 made it very very special...but again every time I see an RC my eyes melt but simply can't afford
Turbo329 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode