Exhaust Valve Error - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Exhaust Valve Error

So I have a 2016 F4rr and I have the exhaust valve warning. So the story goes that I got a QD slip-on and installed it. I got the error and searched here and found out that I needed to disconnect the cables that go from the now non-existant exhaust valve to the servo. Did it and worked great...no problems.
Some time later I had an issue with my dash which was sorted out under warranty by replacing it at my local dealer. After a while the exhaust valve error came up again. Seeing as the old fix didn't seem to be working for some reason I took it to the dealer and they said that the limits on the cables needed to be set. The mechanic also noted that the servo was damaged from the strain of pulling on the tight cables. He set the limits and the bike worked fine for a while but now the servo has finally given up. I hear it clicking when the bike idles and the exhaust valve error is back.

So to my question, are the limits saved in the dash? I had ridden quite a while without any issues with it until the dash was replaced. And if they are saved there, shouldn't resetting those limits have been part of the warranty work?
Apparently this little servo is going to cost me over $400 Canadian. I am tempted to argue that the dealership should be responsible for paying for the part rather than me but thought I'd first check with the knowledgeable people on here about whether I am completely off base here.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 PM

I my country if you change the exhaust, you have no warranty. Same if you take off the flapper.

The limits are saved in the ecu. It might be more worthwhile getting someone to remap the ecu for your configuration, rather than the compromised setup you currently have in place.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

It's just a slip-on pipe and doesn't need a remap. What it needs is a new servo to get rid of the error message so my dash becomes useable again.
It's true that they may not warranty it because of the aftermarket pipe though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmandj View Post
It's just a slip-on pipe and doesn't need a remap. What it needs is a new servo to get rid of the error message so my dash becomes useable again.
It's true that they may not warranty it because of the aftermarket pipe though.
There is just so much wrong with your statements here.

You removed device that provides backpressure to your exhaust pulses and therefore changed your fueling characteristics and performance.

That alone should prompt you to get the ECU tuned on a dyno.

You also freed up flow by installing a slip on pipe leaning out further an already lean system.

There are federal exhaust laws in the US designed to prevent this sort of tampering although to very little real effect except in the case of warranty claim.

You altered the design of the system and didn't understand how the system would respond and you want to go after the dealer for telling you what is wrong?

Man up dude. Either restore the system to original, or buy a Haltec device or similar to possibly remove your dash indication. Keep in mind you need to do some research before you take action as the Healtec device does not always work as well publish here and elsewhere. I'd hate to have you go after Healtec because you didn't understand that.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
There is just so much wrong with your statements here.

You removed device that provides backpressure to your exhaust pulses and therefore changed your fueling characteristics and performance.

That alone should prompt you to get the ECU tuned on a dyno.

You also freed up flow by installing a slip on pipe leaning out further an already lean system.

There are federal exhaust laws in the US designed to prevent this sort of tampering although to very little real effect except in the case of warranty claim.

You altered the design of the system and didn't understand how the system would respond and you want to go after the dealer for telling you what is wrong?

Man up dude. Either restore the system to original, or buy a Haltec device or similar to possibly remove your dash indication. Keep in mind you need to do some research before you take action as the Healtec device does not always work as well publish here and elsewhere. I'd hate to have you go after Healtec because you didn't understand that.
BIFF!!!

I'm wondering why you disconnected the exhaust valve in the first place. If the servo worked, not sure what the point was. My dealer replaced mine in early 2017. Told me to keep it lubed up to prevent sticking, the major cause of the gear stripping, and I haven't had any issues since. (Need a fingers crossed emoticon...it is an MV after all)

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

A healtech won't remove the error now that the servo is damaged. As for an eco tune, I don't deny that the bike could benefit from one because any bike including stock usually can be. But I disagree that one is required for just a slip-on exhaust. The bike ran fine for roughly a year until the dash had to be replaced. That is why I am lead to believe that the limits for the servo might be stored there.

If the limits aren't stored there then I guess the ecu just "forgot" where they were all of a sudden.

If they are stored there I would like to know if resetting them is something the dealer missed when installing the new dash. Warranty or not they may be responsible for the part failing if that's the case. The first reply to this post says they are in the ecu. Can anyone 100% confirm this. If this is not the fault of the dealer then I would not expect them to pay. The point of this post is to figure out that very thing.

To be clear I know full well what adding a slip-on exhaust does. The issues I have pointed out never once mentioned issues with the feeling of the bike but I am getting replies about ecu tunes. I just wanted to know where the servo limits are stored and if when the dealer replaced the dash if they should have reset them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

[QUOTE=fingertight;2543679]BIFF!!!

I'm wondering why you disconnected the exhaust valve in the first place. If the servo worked, not sure what the point was. My dealer replaced mine in early 2017. Told me to keep it lubed up to prevent sticking, the major cause of the gear stripping, and I haven't had any issues since. (Need a fingers crossed emoticon...it is an MV after all)[/QUOTE

The reason I disconnected the exhaust valve cables is the new slip-on doesn't have one. After installation the exhaust valve error comes up. From researching this forum many users said that all you need to do is disconnect the cables. That's what I did and the error went away. Why exactly it goes away I am not sure but for about a year the bike ran fine with no issues until the dash was replaced.
It seems strange that limits would be stored in the dash but it also seems equally strange that the settings for the limits vanished after the dash was installed. Might be a coincidence but that's what I am trying to figure out.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 11:16 PM

The limits are stored in the ecu.
I have had to reset the limits once in 60000km. It came up during one of the service checks, even though I had not had any faults logged or stored in the ecu. Iirc, the second gen bikes are canbus, so I presume that there must have been a change that caused the reset instruction.

I still think it would be beneficial to get the ecu remapped. That way you can ask for the flapper to be disabled in the ecu, and it will not be looking for a signal back from the servo.
stickmandj likes this.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R

Last edited by revhead1957; 11-01-2018 at 11:20 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 07:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
I also agree that the limits are stored in the ECU.

On "Key On", as part of the start sequence, the ECU sends a signal to the Exhaust Valve Servo in order to check operation and set limits.

If, during that sequence, the ECU detects an error, the Error Code is shown.

Over time, and several operations, eventually the system will fault.

I will say it has been many years since I disconnected the servo on my 2010 B4 1090RR at the valve with no errors shown since.

I have probably just jinxed myself.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 AM

New Site Garage
[quote=stickmandj;2543721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
BIFF!!!

I'm wondering why you disconnected the exhaust valve in the first place. If the servo worked, not sure what the point was. My dealer replaced mine in early 2017. Told me to keep it lubed up to prevent sticking, the major cause of the gear stripping, and I haven't had any issues since. (Need a fingers crossed emoticon...it is an MV after all)[/QUOTE

The reason I disconnected the exhaust valve cables is the new slip-on doesn't have one. After installation the exhaust valve error comes up. From researching this forum many users said that all you need to do is disconnect the cables. That's what I did and the error went away. Why exactly it goes away I am not sure but for about a year the bike ran fine with no issues until the dash was replaced.
It seems strange that limits would be stored in the dash but it also seems equally strange that the settings for the limits vanished after the dash was installed. Might be a coincidence but that's what I am trying to figure out.
Hey Stick. I've looked into the QD exhaust but didn't look into the details so I didn't know the slip-on eliminated the exhaust valve. Good to know there could be pitfalls if I ever decide to pull the trigger. Hopefully it's not inherent in putting one on and there was something about the dash swap that caused your issue. Which I also hope you get sorted with a minimum amount of hassle.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode