F4 Gen 2 chaging rear tyre profile and TC recab - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

F4 Gen 2 chaging rear tyre profile and TC recab

On the F4 gen 2

Is there a function on the gen 2 dash to recalibrate the TC if you change tyre profile from say a 200/55 to a 200/60 ??

The Panni and RSV4 allow you to put it into recab mode and ride for a short distance to calibrate the TC on the new tyre circumference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:43 PM
Established Member

Not that I'm aware of
The Following User Says Thank You to stickmandj For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickmandj View Post
Not that I'm aware of
Cheers fella.. with Chris from x-bikes ECU - is that intergrated into the IMU etc to allow this option ??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 06:55 PM
Established Member

I honestly can't say. I have a 2016 F4rr and have not seen anything in the menus that would suggest I can re-calibrate the traction control. Maybe the dealer can and possibly through some aftermarket solution but I haven't seen it on the stock bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to stickmandj For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
You need a pre 2012 F4 in order to install X-Bikes' ECU (It is called Microtec 227). I have installed it on mine but I have not seen a re-calibration function on it. I need to take a closer look when I connect it to the laptop to see if there is anything that can be done in the user interface (which is richer in content than the dash controls) to rectify that.
So you think that because of the different profile, the tyre will spin at a different speed when leaning over and that the TC system needs to adjust to that new speed?
Interesting! I have fitted a 200 slick on mine (for track use), but didn't think of that!
When I am next with the bike I will connect the dongle to the ECU and have a look. I hope Chris from X-Bikes can give us an answer.

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christosc View Post
You need a pre 2012 F4 in order to install X-Bikes' ECU (It is called Microtec 227). I have installed it on mine but I have not seen a re-calibration function on it. I need to take a closer look when I connect it to the laptop to see if there is anything that can be done in the user interface (which is richer in content than the dash controls) to rectify that.
So you think that because of the different profile, the tyre will spin at a different speed when leaning over and that the TC system needs to adjust to that new speed?
Interesting! I have fitted a 200 slick on mine (for track use), but didn't think of that!
When I am next with the bike I will connect the dongle to the ECU and have a look. I hope Chris from X-Bikes can give us an answer.

Yep i had a motec on my 2008 312R which just controllesd the FR and IGN mapping plus launch control/QS etc

I had to add Gripone TC for traction control etc and this had a function for putting in the wheel circumference as going from a 200/55 to a 200/60 increases the circumference and the TC has to know about that to be able to calcalate proper wheel speed and slip etc

Without that feature then the TC is linked to std profile 200/55

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:33 PM

To my knowledge there is no recalibration available on the eldor ecu's. To change the TC you will need to flash the ECU with after market software that allows manual adaptation such as ecustudio.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:14 PM
Al-

The microtec and OEM TC setup on the 2012 and older bikes is based on a rate of change during acceleration based on RPM and gear (real or calculated). It won't care what size rear tire you use as it is not referencing the front wheel speed related to the rear wheel speed for the TC setting calibration. If you have a bike that that front and rear wheel speed sensors, then this does not apply. The difference between a 200/55 and 200/60 is less than 3% circumference, and the old style TC is pretty crude. It works, but it is crude.

Last edited by Al-; 10-29-2018 at 04:20 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
The microtec and OEM TC setup on the 2012 and older bikes is based on a rate of change during acceleration based on RPM and gear (real or calculated). It won't care what size rear tire you use as it is not referencing the front wheel speed related to the rear wheel speed for the TC setting calibration. If you have a bike that that front and rear wheel speed sensors, then this does not apply. The difference between a 200/55 and 200/60 is less than 3% circumference, and the old style TC is pretty crude. It works, but it is crude.

Cheers fella

I'm looking at a F4 RC 2017 so would expect proper TC with front/rear wheel sensor rings - but how can you change this, i know it can be done with different size rings, but would have expected to be able to change via ECU/IMU or Dash..

55 = 25.66 inch dia, 83.616 in circ 651.764mm
60 = 26.44 inch dia, 83.092 in circ 671.576mm

What does ecustudio allow you to do ??

update - just spoken to ECU Studio and they confirmed they have no control over the TC as its controlled by the IMU/ABS systems

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Spud; 10-30-2018 at 05:53 AM. Reason: updated the original post
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 08:10 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
Personally, I don't think you need to worry too much about 3% difference! When you are using the 3% part of the tyre (max lean) you shouldn't be on the gas anyway (unless you like to test the TC and do not care if it fails and you break your back), and things get more even as the lean decreases.
That's the simplest and more realistic approach on the subject. If you are interested in the science of it however, then please share with us your findings!

@ Al, the different tyre profile, would generate a faster/slower rate of acceleration when the tyre is using its leaned profile, so the pre-programmed (default) setting could "think" that the tyre has exceeded it's expected acceleration rate and would kick in earlier (or not kick in at this value if a larger profile is used). So what Spud is talking about applies to the 2012 or earlier models in my opinion.

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode