2015 f4 abs - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

2015 f4 abs

Hey lads im lookin at a 2105 F4 ABS in stunning white with only 4500 miles on it.Anything i should be looking for before i consider it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 AM

White is stunning, much better than the common orange and grey err red and silver (cue some abuse)

I've had no real issues with my ABS version also 2015 in white , by the first service (600 mile) I had noticed the brake line to the front nearside was chaffing on the support for the rectifier (inside nearside fairing just in front of the rad). Easily replaced and fixed, I guess the original routing was wrong.

• Some have reported issues with the exhaust valve actuator failing
  • The quick shifter can be a pain to get to work. I got mine to work ok, but then upgraded it (see an old post).
  • My bike used to get very hot in traffic, ECU Studio helps with setting a different fan turn on temp. I have an aftermarket water pump that made a small difference.
  • Normal issues with the rear brake over-heating

If the price is good, I'd do it.
MV Arthur and MV Arthur like this.

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I've only owned mine for a few months, but here's my take on it. These bikes are not for the casual owner. You have to be an enthusiast. If you're going to get a F4, make sure it's either a RR or a RC. The base model isn't worth the headache these bikes could potentially be. The dealer network is pretty shit depending on where you are in the world. I'm in SoCal in the richest part and my nearest dealer is 60 miles away. My second nearest is 75 miles. That's it within a 150 mile radius. If something does go wrong and you need a factory part, it has to come from Italy, and they don't keep spares on hand. In other words you could be waiting 4+ months for something simple because they won't just do a run of parts for a single order. They'll wait until there's a least a decent demand.

And as with all Italian bikes, there's a decent change you'll encounter some kind of hair pulling problem you need to troubleshoot. It's happened to me on multiple Ducatis, my first and current MV, and I've had it happen to friends who went with Aprilia. Arron made a pretty good list of hair pulling issues you'll have to resolve and most people run into. With all these things added together, the base model honestly isn't worth the headache unless you just HAVE to have the front end looks (the rear is almost identical to the 1098/1198). A Ducati 1098/1198/Panigale will have much better and faster dealer support and there's a wider aftermarket of parts.

But if you can swing a RR or RC, it's one hell of a bike. Just keep in mind the 90/10 rule. 90% of the time, you'll love absolutely everything about the bike and the experience. 10% of the time you'll be wondering why the fuck you ever threw actual money at this thing and why it's spent the last 3 weeks in the shop.

Previous Bikes:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Yamaha R6
2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Current Bikes:
2003 Honda 954RR (track bike)
2007 Honda CBR600RR (race bike)
2015 MV Agusta F4 RR (daily)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0dnar View Post
I've only owned mine for a few months, but here's my take on it. These bikes are not for the casual owner. You have to be an enthusiast. If you're going to get a F4, make sure it's either a RR or a RC. The base model isn't worth the headache these bikes could potentially be.

I was going to write WALOB but have decided instead to suggest that my opinion is somewhat different.

I have a 2015 F4 and deliberately chose this over the RR and RC as I wanted a road bike that I could ride and (within reason) be able to look after myself.

The goodies on the RR were simply not worth the extra in my opinion and the RC not different enough to warrant paying twice the price of a 'base' F4.

Yes, I've had some issues with mine and more than any other bike I've owned but I'm not quite sure which of these headaches would have been deleted if I had the more complicated RR or RC?

You are correct about the dealer network though
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I was going to write WALOB but have decided instead to suggest that my opinion is somewhat different.

I have a 2015 F4 and deliberately chose this over the RR and RC as I wanted a road bike that I could ride and (within reason) be able to look after myself.

The goodies on the RR were simply not worth the extra in my opinion and the RC not different enough to warrant paying twice the price of a 'base' F4.

Yes, I've had some issues with mine and more than any other bike I've owned but I'm not quite sure which of these headaches would have been deleted if I had the more complicated RR or RC?

You are correct about the dealer network though
I was the same, e.g. the electronically adjustable Ohlins for me were not worth it or wanted & I don't like the big RR down the side. My 'conditions' for purchase is that I must be able to perform most things myself, assuming that in future MV may become resigned to history. So I needed workshop manuals (provided), access to service bulletins (yes), copy of the factory software to talk to the ecu (no, but have control via ECUStudio, or could replace the ECU).

The £5k difference in the base ABS to RR is a lot, and I was happier to save that and use it to purchase spares for reserve or as as required.

The dealer network can be frustrating, but I think it depends a lot on where on this globe you are, and if you have the option of driving or riding to more than one dealer. Personally I've had no issue getting spares, but then again I've not had to try to source anything difficult, and in the UK there are quite a lot of spares held by some of the dealers.

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Quote:
All the headaches would have been deleted since I would've just gotten a base model 1299 Panigale or RSV4 (which come with a different set of headaches, but at least I can just take it back to the dealer). There's a level of "got to figure this out yourself" involved with any of the F4 models. I'm only willing to commit my time and resources to "figuring it out myself" for a RR or RC because they are worth it to me. If I'm just getting a base model F4, there's better options in other brands. I can get a used R1/M, RSV4, Panigale/S for around the same price as a standard F4.

The RR/RC offers the following that the base doesn't that was not negotiable for me when I got the bike:

1. Up/down quickshifter
2. Ohlins and at least a TTX series in the rear
3. Non-budget Brembos (the MV almost failed on this one)

I've spent at minimum of 20 hours + 3 weeks shop time in the 2 months or so I've owned this bike just to get the bike setup the way I like it. The last Panigale I owned took maybe 3 hours and 2 days shop time. So for 17 additional hours of my personal time and 2 additional weeks of no bike, I better get damn near state-of-the-art. The base model F4 just doesn't check off enough boxes. Especially since there's been 3-5 years of solid bike development all the other manufacturers are coming out with. If it weren't for the electronics Ohlins, quickshifter, blipper, etc. that the RR came out with 5 years ahead of everyone else, even the RR would be outdated. The new 2017 RSV4 base model comes in at $16k and comes with just about everything you could possibly want. For $23k, it's a fully kitted out bike with Ohlins, superlight wheels, and cornering ABS.

Don't get me wrong. I love my F4 RR now that I have almost chased down all the gremlins, but the stupid thing still loses power every now and then on the highway and I have to shut the bike off at 90 MPH, find neutral, start it back up, and get back into 3rd gear to rev match and get power back to the ground. I have a good idea of what's causing this, but that's another day minimum of shop time and probably 2 hours of my personal time. All I can say is if I had bought just a regular F4 and ran into this many issues and frustrations I would've sold the bike for a $2k loss and just gotten a RSV4.

Previous Bikes:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Yamaha R6
2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Current Bikes:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
All the headaches would have been deleted since I would've just gotten a base model 1299 Panigale or RSV4 (which come with a different set of headaches, but at least I can just take it back to the dealer). There's a level of "got to figure this out yourself" involved with any of the F4 models. I'm only willing to commit my time and resources to "figuring it out myself" for a RR or RC because they are worth it to me. If I'm just getting a base model F4, there's better options in other brands. I can get a used R1/M, RSV4, Panigale/S for around the same price as a standard F4.

The RR/RC offers the following that the base doesn't that was not negotiable for me when I got the bike:

1. Up/down quickshifter
2. Ohlins and at least a TTX series in the rear
3. Non-budget Brembos (the MV almost failed on this one)

I've spent at minimum of 20 hours + 3 weeks shop time in the 2 months or so I've owned this bike just to get the bike setup the way I like it. The last Panigale I owned took maybe 3 hours and 2 days shop time. So for 17 additional hours of my personal time and 2 additional weeks of no bike, I better get damn near state-of-the-art. The base model F4 just doesn't check off enough boxes. Especially since there's been 3-5 years of solid bike development all the other manufacturers are coming out with. If it weren't for the electronics Ohlins, quickshifter, blipper, etc. that the RR came out with 5 years ahead of everyone else, even the RR would be outdated. The new 2017 RSV4 base model comes in at $16k and comes with just about everything you could possibly want. For $23k, it's a fully kitted out bike with Ohlins, superlight wheels, and cornering ABS.

Don't get me wrong. I love my F4 RR now that I have almost chased down all the gremlins, but the stupid thing still loses power every now and then on the highway and I have to shut the bike off at 90 MPH, find neutral, start it back up, and get back into 3rd gear to rev match and get power back to the ground. I have a good idea of what's causing this, but that's another day minimum of shop time and probably 2 hours of my personal time. All I can say is if I had bought just a regular F4 and ran into this many issues and frustrations I would've sold the bike for a $2k loss and just gotten a RSV4.

Fair enough. I personally saw the fancy suspension as an additional point of failure and something which would invariably cost me £5grand about 10 minutes after the warranty ended .... so I went down the route of having the stock suspension rebuilt and set up correctly for me.

I will (shortly) have ECU studio and set up the 2 way shifter and I have no issue with the brakes so (for me) the RR would have been a waste of the extra £5500 - which I used to buy another bike.

Sorry to hear about your electrical gremlins and hope you get them sorted.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I personally saw the fancy suspension as an additional point of failure and something which would invariably cost me £5grand about 10 minutes after the warranty ended .... so I went down the route of having the stock suspension rebuilt and set up correctly for me.

I will (shortly) have ECU studio and set up the 2 way shifter and I have no issue with the brakes so (for me) the RR would have been a waste of the extra £5500 - which I used to buy another bike.

Sorry to hear about your electrical gremlins and hope you get them sorted.
Likewise, A TTX is you shop around you can pick up for £700, and if you need the M50's they are £400. For me I did not want the electronically adjustable Ohlins as posted above. A quick rebuild of the standard forks have shown them to be more than competent around the bumpy UK circuits (e.g. Oulton and Cadwell). If I were still racing then I might wonder how good they would be over 20 laps, but not many club races last that long, and to be honest I wouldn't race an F4.

On the road and track (test days and trackdays) I've got no issue with the M4 calipers, far better than the 6 pot tokicos I used to race on when I first started on the big bikes. Brake wise I must admit I have swapped the disks for PFM iron jobs,
Bendix pads, and Galespeed MC. That's really only because I raced on that setup whenever the rules allowed (not great in the rain though).

My Quickshifter was easy to get working and if I rceall in 2015 there was not the direct option of a Auto-blipper, even if it was advertised, ECUStudio enabled it for me, although I did get it to work with teh standard Bi-directional starlane sensor, just very tricky to setup.

2015 MV F4, ABS

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Part of it is I've had "compromise" bikes for the last 3 I've owned. R6 instead of R1, ZX6-R instead of ZX10-R, 899 instead of 1199, etc. I was tired of wondering how something with the complete setup rides from the factory instead of continuously retrofitting parts that were never designed for the bike. Plus the cost difference between the two in the states wasn't that much.

Previous Bikes:
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Yamaha R6
2006 Kawasaki ZX6-R
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2015 Ducati 899 Panigale

Current Bikes:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Plus the cost difference between the two in the states wasn't that much.
That's interesting. IIRC the cost in 2015 was:

F4 - £14,500
RR - £19,999

What were they in the States?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode