Looking to Buy - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Looking to Buy

I have my mind set on a second gen F4 RR as my next bike. I'm already currently in the process of selling my Panigale so I have the funds. Where I'm stuck is I'm finding it very hard to get as comprehensive information about this particular bike than any other bike I've owned. I was hoping some of the current owners can help me out by answering some questions.

1. Are there any major differences between the models (2010 through 2017)? For instance was a certain electronic assist added only from a certain year onward, etc.
2. Are there any second gen years I should avoid (I'm generally looking 2013 and newer)?
3. Does EAS mean both clutchless up and down shifts like my Panigale?
4. How reliable would you say these are compared to other Italians (Ducati and Aprilia)?
5. For those who have had warranty work done, how easy is it working with MV Agusta and how long did the whole process take (including shipping of parts)?
6. Are there any particular quirks/things I should know before purchasing?
7. Does it come with the new Bosch cornering ABS?
8. Has MV Agusta announced a 3rd gen? I'd hate to buy a 2nd gen only for them to release a 3rd gen in 2018.

Thanks in advance for any answers I may get. Looking forward to joining the rest of you F4 owners in the next couple of months!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 AM

Mod I have a sportbike collection of 12 bikes after buying/selling roughly 60 motorcycles. Out of the 12 my workd to the hilt 2007 F4 1000 is co favorite with my 2010 roehr 1250sc.
An MV is like riding a race bike being they have worked the same engine for the last 17 years . Words cannot do justice the feeling . IMHO get yourself a used 2010 2018 f4 1000r
with its 195 hp sharp handling raw power and an engine that sounds like music to a gear head you will be in heaven ...take care
BOUGHT A BEAUTIFUL 2012 F4RR IN WHITE 800 MILES. ITS ON THE WAY

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-18-2017 at 01:07 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
Hi M0dnar,

RR Models from 2012-2012 have a “Magneti-Marelli” IAW 7BM ECU, have Traction control and 2 engine mappings but no quick shifter, ABS or auto blipper. From 2013 to 2017 models have an Eldor ECU. The Magnetti Marelli ECU for the 2011-2012 model is not configurable.

Post 2013 RR models with the Eldor ECU have more engine mappings (4 I believe) a quick shifter an auto blipper traction control and electronically adjustable suspension and ABS.

I own a 2012 RR and it is as reliable as a Japanese bike. There was an electrical fault brought on by a cracked soldered connection under the dash but apart from that I had no other issues. I had to replace the cable for the Exhaust valve as it seized this summer, but that's all.

I hope you will get more info from owners of Post 2013 models.

Good luck with your search for an F4 RR.
Chris

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Chris, thanks for your input. That's exactly the kind of information I was trying to dig up myself. I've narrowed my search to 2013 or newer RR's as my Panigale has spoiled me with all the new electronic goodies.

Jake, highly appreciate your offer of a phone conversation to discuss further. I will definitely take you up on your offer.
christosc and christosc like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Established Member

I have a 2016 F4RR and just a heads-up to double check that the bike actually has the quick shifter. Mine didn't come with one and after much investigation it sounds like they stopped putting it in mid-way through that years production run. Sounds like supply chain issues may have been the issue due to the financial problems MV was facing. They continued to offer it as an optional accessory though. My understanding from talking to MV Agusta.com and with Evolution Bike is that if you want the autoblipper that you need the EAS 2.0 otherwise you only get upshifting. The only way either MV or Evolution Bike told me I could get it was to order a kit part that seems to include rear sets. It's all a bit confusing and to this date I don't have a QS....yet. Other than the missing QS, I have to say that I love this bike.

As for warranty work, my experience has been mixed. MV have been pretty good for the most part early on but more recent experience has sucked. Getting answers to whether or not an item will be covered and the parts has been brutal. From what I've read it sounds like that experience is more related to the relationship between MV and the particular dealer though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 PM

m0dnar, download the F4 workshop manual from Donsy's site, it will have detailed specification for MY2010>2013 including RR derivative. From 2013 onwards I think there's not much in it in terms of changes (technically) so specification from the mvagusta web site will probably be OK for comparison purposes.

There has been no third gen announced, and in fact there are even rumours the current engine 'might' not be able to meet Euro4, and hence third gen is going to be dependent on a new Euro4 compliant engine.

ABS is Bosch 9MP Plus, so yes, it's the most featured version. The bike has lean angle sensor working in conjuction with the traction control system etc. Not that I've been able to ride hard enough to experience the electronic aids.

Reliability, as far as I'm aware, nothing jumps out, and the second gen F4 is supposed to be 'the fix' to the various issues of the first gen, eg overheating, weak hub etc. I haven't had my F4 RR too long, but my take on it is it's a candle that burns brightly, so I expect it's going burn out faster.

Unlike some other bikes it will just give and give, the harder you go, the more it gives, so I am guessing that to the engineers, engine protection was a secondary consideration to outright performance. This is a concern for me in cars, but not bikes, YMMV.

Who moved my cheese?

MY04 Brutale 750S
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
So I've decided to go with a 2013+ F4 RR. Now the only problem is they are almost never up on the used market. Gonna keep looking until the 2018's hit the floor and maybe I can snag a 2017...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0dnar View Post
So I've decided to go with a 2013+ F4 RR. Now the only problem is they are almost never up on the used market. Gonna keep looking until the 2018's hit the floor and maybe I can snag a 2017...

In my biased opinion that is an excellent choice. Finding one will be a challenge. I searched for almost a year before I found mine. I was tempted to buy new but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Italian vehicle color so since red was not available on the MY16 RR I had to keep looking.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:21 AM

New Site Garage
Quirky things:
- One thing where MV wins hands down is how easy those fairings are to take off.
- On paper it is on heavy side vs other latest 1L sports bikes. But when I jumped on it the first time from owning a 07 R1 it felt like a 600cc... Still does.
- You can't go wild on the clutch on hot starts. It will lurch and go spastic. You will need to feather it until you master it. It demands a bit of finesse and experience from the rider here. Which I like kind of, step away from all the electronic aids etc.
- Build quality is above Ducati and Aprilia (in my onion). The paint is gorgeous, the quality of pegs, parts, plastics it is all top notch.

Things that may annoy you
- You won't have a rear brake. Mine stops working after 10-20 rides. Supposedly design flaw with how close the pump is to exhaust pipe, boils the brake fluid useless.
- Dust in speedo collecting in corners.

I fixed the dust. But not sure about rear brake which is a shame when you are stopped facing downhill and you wanna stretch your back
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:43 AM

New Site Garage
Great bike - GET ONE, though don't pin your decision on EAS working, like you might have experienced on other bikes.
Oh, and look out for the models with Ohlins electronic suspension - It's fantastic!

F4RR 2016

Brutale 800 Italia
KTM RC8 1190
Moto Guzzi 1100i Sport
Honda Firestorm
Yamaha Thundercat
Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP
Kawasaki GPX750R
The list only gets worse....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VeeTwin; 07-19-2017 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode