Torque and power issue on standard F4 2010 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Torque and power issue on standard F4 2010

Hi guys,

I feel ashamed to ask that question after 16,000km with the MV but it did not bother me that much until now as I mostly bought my F4 2010 for its beauty rather than performance. However I noticed that the bike acceleration is weird and noticed the few following issues which I think are worrying (just to make sure, I have the standard 2010 F4 with 186bhp (allegedly)):
- MV are known for lifting the front wheel with ease but my bike does not lift it in any gears, even first gear with the throttle fully open (and I am talking S mode and TC switched off)
- A friend of mine has a BMW S1000 XR and every single time we have done drag races last week, he is much faster than I am.
- my bike is unable to reach the power switch (sorry I don't know the english term but you know the moment where the engine ignition switches off when the rev is too high?) in any gears and can only reach it in Neutral
- My bike basically takes ages to reach 8,000 rpm in any gear, even first gear, then I get a boost in power but then very quickly it gets sloppy with holes in acceleration everywhere, almost like if the bike had hiccups and never reaches the "power switch".

What I noticed though is that the "injection horns" (again, english issue but I am referring to the plastic cups above the cylinders that lift up to get more air enter the cylinders once a certain rpm is reached) are not easy to be lifted up by hand when I have dismantled the air box. I just thought that this may be part of the explanation?

Would you have any clue as to what is going on here and what could be done to fix the issue? Can it be the injection mapping from the ECU which is messed up and can this be easily fixed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Guillaume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 03:01 PM

New Site Garage
Get it on the dyno and have it analysed. That is where I would start...

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Guillaume.
Man I can't believe you've done 18k on a bike that is either absolutely stuffed, or restricted.
I remember you're not English from previous conversations, but not which Country you're from or where you bought the bike. In some EU Countries the bikes are restricted with the ECU.
If it's not a restricted bike then you need t get this bike to a dealer to have it looked at, and don't mess with the throttle bodies.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi Donsy, so popped by the MV dealer and he told me that apparently the coil(s) could be at fault. Apparently that generation of F4 is known for having issues with coils. It is not something I ever heard about but that is true that:
- From time to time I get a Coil malfunction message on the dashboard and this can be any coil, 1, 2, 3 or 4
- The bike when hot tends to struggle to start after I stop to refuel. I systematically need to accelerate a bit while the engine starts (nut no coil error message appears then)

Hopefully not all coils have to be replaced.

More investigation apparently needs to be done but will be done in September so will let you know what really happens
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Forgot to ask, but if I want to test my coils next weekend, what is the standard resistance to get, both primary one and secondary? I have the engine and user manual but nothing is said regarding the Ohm level which is within specifications. Thanks for your help.

G.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ErikV
Sounds to me the valve in the exhaust does not open.

“When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit.”
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi ErikV, interesting you say that as had modified the valve system so that it stayed open all the time and then decided to put the system back as I relocated to Switzerland (as the bi-annual check there is done by officials and they are apsolutely nuts about anything not original, they even failed me for not having replaced a hiden bolt, also made me fail my TMax test because my break disk where 5mm thick and it was not thick enough despite specifications saying it is OK until 4mm thick... crazy).

Bow that you are saying that I should indeed check. Everything is in place, all cables connected but I haven't checked if indeed it opens. Can you remind me at what rpm it is meant to open? And also, would I be able to see the system move the cables by just reving it in Neutral?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 AM

dyno sheet with exhaust valve closed

The attachment shows the impact of the exhaust valve on a 2015 F4.

Standard exhaust with the exhaust valve held open and with the exhaust valve held closed. Dramatic effect as expected, the AFR is more alarming.

Ignore the absolute numbers its a local dyno I use for relative changes only.

Arron
Attached Images

----------------------------------------
2015 MV F4, ABS
ECU Re-Mapped with ECU studio (F4 RC base ROM)
QS & Blipper now working with ECU studio and Durashift sensor

others
GSXR 1000
GSXR 750
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Established Member

Probably will not be able to see in neutral, but will do on the ignition start checkup
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Whaou dansoarr, this is just CRAZY... and reflects so well what I am feeling when on it i.e. holes in acceleration, very slow to each 6/7000 rpm and basically unable to reach 10000 rpm, plus the feeling to be with a bike of less than 100bhp (not looking at your absolute values but to the ratio and still get the feeling).

Unfortunately I need to put the entire airbox and electronic in order before seeing anything but will let you know how this feels.

What is surprising is that F3 owners with similar issues get a warning about this exhaust valve whereas I have had no malfunction message for that issue at all on my F4.

Last edited by gvanrenterghem; 08-22-2016 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode