New grips - new throttle tube needed? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

New grips - new throttle tube needed?

I have bought some Renthal duel compound grips for my 2010 f4 as I've used them in the past and like the comfort and grip tehy provide, plus my standard ones were a bit worn out. Unfortunately it looks as though the throttle tube on the f4 is molded specifically to fit the standard grips with heavy knurling along the tube and a plate that the grip folds over on the inside edge. Has anyone ever looked into replacing the throttle tube for a normal plain one when swapping grips?? I've never come across this problem on a bike before the tube is normally just smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I just put the new grips over the original tube. The inner lip can be removed with a dremel tool.
It's all about preventing grip slipping and causing an accident! Product liability. Many OEMs only sell replacement throttle stock grips already installed on a new tube.....like MV.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I was hoping to not have to do this to the standard tube but this is probably the only option. I will probably smooth the entire thing out then use grip glue.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 05:04 PM

New Site Garage
Normal is not plain anymore mate.
All the MV throttle tubes have these ridges, they're there for a reason, but if you insist on changing, be aware that you might struggle to find anything that'll match that housing.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 11-10-2015 at 12:44 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! Is the mv throttle tube a different diamater and unlikely to fit renthal grips even if the grooves are smoothed out then? Where can I buy standard mv grips? My standard ones are past their best and part of the reason I ordered the renthal grips was because I couldn't find a supplier of standard mv grips online and thought the metal ones that I'd seen people selling specifically for the mv f4 looked a bit tacky.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 AM

New Site Garage
No Paul, the MV tubes are the same diameter as all other sportbike tubes. Most new sportbikes have the same lay-out as your bike's.
You do realise that you're now using fly by wire throttle and not cables ?
The grip is just a rubber tube, buy what you want and install it the same as Ed recommended, it's just the part near the housing that need cutting down, quite often you can cut the new grip instead.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Hi, it''s actually still got the duel throttle cables on mine, I think it must have been a year or two later they went to ride by wire. I'm going to ring my local dealer today and see if they can supply standard grips for sensible money, if not i'll just have to get the dremel out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 05:25 AM

New Site Garage
Cool, I use Domino grips as you'll see in my photo albums, even when i still used the standard throttle tubes.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You can, as mentioned previously, trim the inner diameter of the grip so it accommodates the lip on the tube. That lip is to keep the grip from sliding against the throttle housing...or away from it.

Grip glue is all you need. I also safety wire my grips.

I use "SuperBike" Gel grips on my bikes.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:28 AM

New Site Garage
Enough with the gel grip Ed, you're a married man !!!

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode