Anyone Tested/Experienced ABS? (hopefully with positive outcome) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Anyone Tested/Experienced ABS? (hopefully with positive outcome)

Hey guys. Any of you experienced ABS in action? I am trying to understand how well and reliable it works. Though it is from Bosch, the application/implementation seems to be different in each make/model. One model seems to work better than the other.

Thanks.

'06 S2000
'07 F4
'15 ZX-14R 30th Anniversary Edition
'16 Boxster Spyder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:53 PM

Remember it`s only going to work if a tire just starts to lock up ( or skid ). Most of us usually avoid locking up a tire and it takes a much heavier hand (or foot) than you would think to do it on dry pavement. The first time it activates it definitely feels strange as you will get a brake, release, brake, release feeling almost as if it is skidding. It feels a little like driving over those little light reflectors on the centerline of a road

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyk View Post
Remember it`s only going to work if a tire just starts to lock up ( or skid ). Most of us usually avoid locking up a tire and it takes a much heavier hand (or foot) than you would think to do it on dry pavement. The first time it activates it definitely feels strange as you will get a brake, release, brake, release feeling almost as if it is skidding. It feels a little like driving over those little light reflectors on the centerline of a road
I understand. Probably, most of you with ABS haven't triggered it. That's good. I was trying to get a sense when one actually triggers it, how reliably it works.

Last season, I locked up the front on a slippery asphalt during a group ride. I stayed upright and stopped just a few feet from the bike in the front. I heard the tires squeal. That incident made me think about ABS seriously. After getting a ZX-14R with ABS, I do feel the F4's ('07) brakes to be soft. I need to dig up more reviews of Gen2. Probably a moot point; I might just pull the trigger on a RR!

Thanks.

'06 S2000
'07 F4
'16 Boxster Spyder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
ABS action is different in different models because, even though nearly 100% Bosch product, there are multiple variations of the hardware and infinite variations in the software......

I have tested ABS on bikes, on purpose. And have used it successfully in cars more than once. Dont have a bike with ABS now...but would have liked having it on my bike a few times I can recall.

Everyone who has a bike with ABS should go find a clear stretch of road and give it a test.....if only to get accustomed to the sensation and function.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 AM

I have the Rivale 800 ABS, and have tested it on purpose. I grabbed a handful of front brake at ~90 and have never slowed down so quickly. It was amazing.

Last edited by TheX; 07-27-2015 at 07:04 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 04:56 PM

New Site Garage
I have it on my Dragster RR. It's great in wet, very nice to know it's there. I got caught out in a massive down pour and i ride very sticky summer tyres. It came on a few times. As mentioned it makes that pulsating feeling like car abs and initially can be scary as it feels like it releases as it first comes on. Trick is to keep that damn lever squeezed hard and it'll do its thing

I think the F3 abs is a better system as it has normal and sports. My B3 only has normal and to be honest it can be a bit keen to come on if ridden enthusiastic and it's way too much on track

I wouldn't own a bike without it though as with traction control

Motocrosser from 1993-1999 & 2009-2014

Now just a keyboard warrior & road rider supporting my son in his racing

Follow me on YouTube for old races of me, current road and track racing & my son competing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

esq'z me:
Yes, it is my understanding as well that ABS gets tuned (both hardware and software) for each make/model. Just like Brembo brake systems get tuned to specific make and model. You confirmed my thoughts on ABS: got to have it. I love my Gen1. I would be extremely disappointed to see it go; but, I am gonna have to! Time to hit the forum's classifieds.

TheX, dean100yz:
Thanks for sharing your experience. As stated, I am trying to rationalize myself to hold onto Gen1. Have spent a lot of time and resources to sort it out. It is just perfect now. But, need for ABS may overwhelm my desire to keep it!

cheers.

'06 S2000
'07 F4
'16 Boxster Spyder
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM

New Site Garage
It works, and keeps you from wiping out.

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
It works, and keeps you from wiping out.
Cool! Just what I am looking for! :-) Thanks.

'06 S2000
'07 F4
'16 Boxster Spyder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode