Exhaust Valve & Corroded Cable fittings - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust Valve & Corroded Cable fittings

Looking for feedback and advice on replacing badly corroded fittings at the cable adjustment ends on the exhaust valve. Has anyone had the same issue and how did you resolve. I have the parts list but wondered if there is a kit and if the corrosion problem is common and has been resolved, change of material perhaps?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exhaust Valve.pdf (145.2 KB, 57 views)

Ducati 748R - 2001
MV F4R - 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 10:27 AM

I would just buy some handlebar lever cable adjusters on line. That`s all those are.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90

Last edited by flyboyk; 05-18-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 04:15 PM

Wow! Where are you on the planet? Do they salt the roads where you ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

No salt on the roads here in Singapore, perhaps some dripping off me though but this seams to be common on other bikes (Ducati), possibly due to dissimilar metals and no isolation washers. I read through other threads where there is mention that some have removed the cables and allow the exhaust valve to remain fully open all the time. Just tried this as a 'see how' and find the bike runs very rich and even hotter than before when at low rpm and idle. It is much louder as well obviously. Looking to find some replacement cable adjusters as suggested by Flyboyk. The bike has just been fully serviced 10Kkm , it is a 2011 bike that has not seen much use. It sits without a battery installed which might be another factor on corrosion.

I now find that the rev limiter light is coming on at low rpm. This might be linked or a separate fault entirely. Anyway, will be replacing the cables and hope to resolve both issues.

Ducati 748R - 2001
MV F4R - 2010
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM

I might be wrong, but I think if you disconnect the cables then the spring keeps the valve closed, not open.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

I have read through several threads (http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43816) and checked the exhaust. With cables removed the valve sits in open position. The problem I now have is that the bike has a high rpm while stationary, the warning lights are coming on while riding and the bike which runs hot anyway, is running even hotter. Not sure if the workshop removed the servo motor and this causes the high rpm. The others that have removed just the cables do not have the same problem.

Ducati 748R - 2001
MV F4R - 2010
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobie View Post
I have read through several threads (http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43816) and checked the exhaust. With cables removed the valve sits in open position. The problem I now have is that the bike has a high rpm while stationary, the warning lights are coming on while riding and the bike which runs hot anyway, is running even hotter. Not sure if the workshop removed the servo motor and this causes the high rpm. The others that have removed just the cables do not have the same problem.
If the cable adjusters were that corroded maybe the valve itself is corroded? Perhaps the cables were pulling as far as they could and now without them the valve is not fully open.
I would visually confirm that the valve is in the open position and then wire it open if needed.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

I can swing the valve manually on the spring quite easily so it is working and without cables it is sitting in the open position. The problem is that when the bike heats up and sits stationary it revs higher than it should because the valve does not close. In temperatures of 34C the bike is running very very hot all the time at low speeds. Have been to the bike shops and they have very thin cables with small heads, the workshop has throttle cable but very expensive. They are sorting out some cheaper cables with the bigger heads and hope to refit the cables next week. Also trying to order replacement cable set and will look at how to preserve the adjusters. The servo is still installed but without cables it might be rotating further and this is cause of dash warning light. That is the workshop view of it. Thanks for the feedback and comments, hope to have the bike running better next week for trip to Malaysia.

Ducati 748R - 2001
MV F4R - 2010

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode