Better Battery - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Better Battery

Just noticed my 2014 F4 came with a Yuasa YTZ10S. I guess MV got the message about the Koyo, it`s a miracle!

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90

Last edited by flyboyk; 05-17-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 10:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Probably cost them more than they expected.....in warranty claims.

Old saying in after sales service regarding manufacturing....."Manufacture Cost Down = Warranty Cost Up"

The deciding factor is "Does the manufacturing cost savings outweigh the warranty cost increase?" The bean counters don't really care about customer satisfaction.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

It`s always about the money!

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:34 AM

New Site Garage
My Koyo is working perfectly still after sitting under maintainer for over a year now. After multiple short rides and some longer ones it is still showing a nice 13.4V open circuit and starts the bike like a champ. Maybe I got lucky. I am getting ready to put in my new Shorai to shave the 4.5 lbs weight however, just have to muster the patience to take apart the rear fairings, lift the tank, remove bracket, unmount starter solenoid/ fuse to get to the battery.

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I will go the Shorai route also when it is time. I noticed Battery Tender is putting out Lithium batteries at a better price, might be worth taking a look.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90

Last edited by flyboyk; 05-17-2015 at 06:28 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:32 PM

I have Shorai on my Ducati and Battery Tender on the MV. Both work just fine. Just pick whatever is cheaper.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
My Koyo is working perfectly still after sitting under maintainer for over a year now. After multiple short rides and some longer ones it is still showing a nice 13.4V open circuit and starts the bike like a champ. Maybe I got lucky. I am getting ready to put in my new Shorai to shave the 4.5 lbs weight however, just have to muster the patience to take apart the rear fairings, lift the tank, remove bracket, unmount starter solenoid/ fuse to get to the battery.
I think you'll only have to remove the seat and the fuel tank bracket.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I think you'll only have to remove the seat and the fuel tank bracket.
Fragile is correct as usual. To make life easier in removal of the Koyo KTZ10S battery in my 2014 F4 I had to do exactly what Fragile said.
With both seats and both rear fairings and the solenoid / fuse holder and the fuel tank bracket out of the way itís much easier to slide the battery out.
After removing all those bits then I disconnected the positive terminal and wrapped tape around it so I wouldnít accidently make contact with it and my metal hand tools.
Then I disconnected the negative terminal and while sliding the battery out I dropped the dam hidden negative terminal nut down into the frame. Took me a few minutes to find the nut.
Before reinstalling the battery I applied tape next to the nuts so they would stay put.
I was one of those kids that liked taking everything apart. I took apart my BMX bicycle so I could spray paint the frame and add lighter weight parts in aluminum.

Mark V.
2014 F4 with ABS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
Fragile is correct as usual. To make life easier in removal of the Koyo KTZ10S battery in my 2014 F4 I had to do exactly what Fragile said.
With both seats and both rear fairings and the solenoid / fuse holder and the fuel tank bracket out of the way itís much easier to slide the battery out.
After removing all those bits then I disconnected the positive terminal and wrapped tape around it so I wouldnít accidently make contact with it and my metal hand tools.
Then I disconnected the negative terminal and while sliding the battery out I dropped the dam hidden negative terminal nut down into the frame. Took me a few minutes to find the nut.
Before reinstalling the battery I applied tape next to the nuts so they would stay put.
I was one of those kids that liked taking everything apart. I took apart my BMX bicycle so I could spray paint the frame and add lighter weight parts in aluminum.
I guess I'll have to look closer. I've had the battery out about 4 times but maybe I also had other parts removed??? I don't remember.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Thanks to silentservice703 for providing a link to black and white photos of the installation of the battery in the F4.
See post #6.
2010 F4 battery placement
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=119921

It appears the seats, fuel tank bracket and the left and right rear fairings have been removed before taking the pictures.

Reading all these Battery threads is making my brain hurt. Iíve still got the original Koyo battery and after doing a full charge I put my digital multimeter on the battery terminals and it reads 12.62 volts. From what I understand a fully charged battery should read 13.2 volts. 6 cells x 2.2 volts each = 13.2 volts. I may just get a Yuasa battery (or some other brand) before the Koyo goes dead on me just for peace of mind.
Attached Images

Mark V.
2014 F4 with ABS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode