Battery::Charging System::Indicator Light - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Battery::Charging System::Indicator Light

Model 2010 F4 1000S...Have an issue with a new(ish) battery bought in March 2015. Battery indicator light comes on when key is turned on and "tests". After a long ride on 4/24 (Vegas/Laughlin river run) and no issues (luckily)..battery dead the next morning. Fully charged back up and did some riding around town and then another long ride and had issues starting (had to pop clutch to start) and bike stopped while riding (fuel pump/injectors lost power). Charged back up and with bike idle...12-13VDC across battery, alternator reads 7-8 VAC across 3 wires to ground/phases(?)...not sure how to check voltage regulator. But what concerns me is when the regulator and alternator are disconnected the battery charge indicator light DOES NOT come on ? Can we confirm what voltages should be seen across components ?

Most can pay the "Gold" price for education...but EVERYONE has to pay the "Iron" price for experience ! ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Also...does the MY10 models have diodes..if so where are they ?

Most can pay the "Gold" price for education...but EVERYONE has to pay the "Iron" price for experience ! ! !
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:10 PM

New Site Garage
Have you downloaded the Workshop manuals? There's a decent fault finding section in there. Check the Maintenance Section for similar posts, but to me it sounds like you have the battery connected wrong, or your alternators gone, you should get a higher voltage when bike is running.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:33 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
3 phase stator windings unloaded AC voltage output is measured by connecting AC voltmeter between each of the 3 wires sequentially (disconnected).

3 measurements....a-b, a-c, b-c....I would expect to see 70 ac volts or more (don't know the spec, check the manuals). There is a diode array as part of the alternator. The IC regulator is also part of the alternator.
It's an automotive part.

The light probably goes out with the alternator disconnected because the light's circuit is now open....but I haven't looked at the schematic so don't hold me to it.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you..I will confirm the voltage from the Alternator..I saw 7V (my friend measured so not sure if he was on the correct setting). I understand the IC regulator is external to the generator (on the left side of bike mounted to the radiator?) I understand about the battery charge indicator (if gen/regulator is unplug could open the circuit not allowing to come on)..but if not charging battery while riding and doesn't come on..doesn't give me confidence in the system .

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Testing the generator disconnected from the bike (no load)..All test (A-B,A-C,B-C) have same value...Approx 28<29 VAC
Attached Images

Last edited by Saso; 05-05-2015 at 07:01 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Test with generator connected back to bike (with load) and of course different values (all 3 approx 11.4VAC). Still not sure what output should be, Ill try and do some reading in the manual....and maybe test the regulator ?
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. Watched some vids on testing the regulator and the regulator didn't pass...so starting with a replacement on that 1st !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode