Auto-blip works - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Auto-blip works

Went for my first ride of the year with my 14 F4. Quite frankly I never even tried to see if the downshift auto-blip even works, since it`s been widely discussed that it does not. Tried a downshift from 3rd to 2nd throttle closed ( meaning load on the transmission ) it blipped and shifted. Tried many more times and it worked in all gears. I noticed you need to be fairly high RPM for it to work, if you're just on residential streets puttering along it doesn`t. Also the throttle must be completely closed. It works consistently if you do not slam the lever but deliberately push.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 PM

Interesting, wonder if mine will work like that

2017 Aprilia RSV4 RF
2015 Brutale Corsa
2014 F4
2014 F3 800 (wife's)
2012 Monster 696 (wife's)
2011 Brutale 990r
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 08:07 PM

Why is there such a mystery around this? You'd think any dealer would just know the answer. I have a '14 and there is no auto-blip on downshift.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 11:56 PM

New Site Garage
regular riding and it did not want to quick shift up during ascending rpms 4-6,000. I was afraid to pull the lever any harder. My Duc upshifts with a seamless fury under the same conditions from a standing start. Haven't tried blipping. Maybe its designed to work under more extreme or higher revs.
OP what RPMs where you successful blipping? How about upshift, did that work and under what conditions?

Thanks

'14 F4 RR ABS Pearly White/ Deep Black (13K miles still rolling, Haha!)
'13 Panigale S ABS (18.5K miles SOLD)
'15 Panigale R (2K miles)
'15 Fireblade SP (1K miles)
Los Angeles North
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

It all works better if you are riding similar to track day conditions, in other words somewhat hard running. It almost seems it`s meant to be used on the track only. If you are just running around town in low RPM`s it's hit or miss. Up and down shifts work better above around 6000 RPM. If the throttle is not completely closed it will not blip on the downshift and on upshift the throttle needs to be moving open or at the very least stationery if you back off the slightest it does not like it.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 AM

New Site Garage
Nice! Thanks. I will give it a go sometime.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:14 AM
Al-

having not ridden a newer bike with the fancy race electronics, is it generally understood that people want quick shifters for generally tooling around town? I always assumed they were strictly for when you are giving it the beans. I can understand maybe the downshifts though I prefer to do it all myself at this point, I figured thats what slipper clutches are for.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
having not ridden a newer bike with the fancy race electronics, is it generally understood that people want quick shifters for generally tooling around town? I always assumed they were strictly for when you are giving it the beans. I can understand maybe the downshifts though I prefer to do it all myself at this point, I figured thats what slipper clutches are for.
I think they really are for "giving it the beans ". What happens is it starts to become useful for tooling also so you want to use it for that . This MV adaption almost assumes you'll only want to use it on a track, and seems to be designed that way. Of course with no guidance from MV on the use of it we are in the dark. There is only one little blurb I found that it is inhibited below 25mph.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al- View Post
I find the "auto-upshift" very useful (even on the street - giving it the beans); if I'm getting on it too hard in first, second and sometimes third the front tends to go skyward. I have to back off the throttle, pause for the front end to return to the earth then get back on it (lost momentum). If I use the auto-upshift; I simply "bang" it in to the next gear as the front lifts (which slows the lift rate) allowing me to keep "giving it the beans" and never stops (or even) slows my forward momentum. Before my brother got his "quick shifter" (2012 F4R) I would literally walk away from him in a "light to light" situation. Now he has a "quick shift" and using the above mention method of front wheel "lift" control we're dead even ! -Davis

P.S. I saw this post and couldn't wait to go out and try it (auto blip) on my '13 but, the very next day I had a stage II torn (L) hamstring. Been a month & still not back on my bike.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 PM

You don't have to be going balls out to have a use for the auto up/downshift. You cant just ride an F4, its an adventure every time. We have excellent twisty roads here where even a daily ride can be very fun. I'd use the auto-blip downshift every time...if it worked...

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode