Crash Protection for 2010+ - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Crash Protection for 2010+

I have been looking for good quality frame/body sliders and it seems that to install any descent protection I would have to drill the side panel. I don't want to do that because the hole will interfere with the side panel RR graphics. Can you guys advise what's out there? Basically I am looking for a set of slides which will protect all the painted plastic panels on the bike if it drops.

I am looking at this one right now but it seems that the bracket would bend because the actual slider protrudes from the mounting point on the bike:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-Slider...3ba737&vxp=mtr

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:40 PM

sliders

These sliders look good and are available on ebay...no drilling etc.

cheers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Those are in the mail on the way to my house already; although, they look like they are absolutely the worst possible engineering solution for protecting the bike. The mounting point is away from the impact point. It is fine if the bike falls when stationary but if the fall occurs at any speed, the slider would rotate and rip into the panels. The back side of the impact puck may hit the frame if the bracket bends during the fall. Once it is here, i will see how i can improve on the design. It is stupid that this is the only non invasive solution out there for the current gen F4.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S

Last edited by retrodrive; 04-19-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:33 AM

I have been searching myself and found the following:

http://www.racingvega.com/index.php?...duct&id_lang=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLljlwZFg8s

Not found anything else that does not require drilling the fairing. These stick out quite far, not sure what impact they can withstand, if they hit something at high speed and dig in they could damage the frame.

I am looking at R&G and Wild Hair, look more robust.

Ducati 748R - 2001
MV F4R - 2010

Last edited by Scobie; 06-28-2015 at 02:42 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
Those are in the mail on the way to my house already; although, they look like they are absolutely the worst possible engineering solution for protecting the bike. The mounting point is away from the impact point. It is fine if the bike falls when stationary but if the fall occurs at any speed, the slider would rotate and rip into the panels. The back side of the impact puck may hit the frame if the bracket bends during the fall. Once it is here, i will see how i can improve on the design. It is stupid that this is the only non invasive solution out there for the current gen F4.
Retrodrive, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the solution.

Frame sliders are crash protection, designed to allow the bike to try to save the frame, not the bodywork. A bike that slides on it's side tends to get damaged a lot less than one that cart-wheels.

And "sliders" that mount on offset brackets, are not frame sliders, nor are they crash protection, in fact they tend to make crashes worse, by bending frames. And keep in mind that any frame damage on a motorcycle is going to render the motorcycle a total loss.

There's not really such a thing as "tip-over protection", but proper crash protection will often minimize tip-over damage. Frame sliders (proper frame sliders) are obviously going to help. Rearsets with non-folding pegs can help. Bar end sliders are going to help with both crash protection and can also reduce tip-over damage. And removing the rear view mirrors will help to reduce damage to the upper fairing and minimize chances of bending or breaking the "ears" of the fairing stay. Some bikes, with the above prep work, can actually lay on their side without any paint touching the pavement.

For bikes that get used at the track, proper crash protection is important. But for bikes that are only used on public roads, I don't think it really matters- I mean, we all have full-coverage insurance, so whatever gets damaged, is going to get replaced.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have already installed them on the bike. Everything is exactly as I was thinking in my previous post. Now they will work very well if the bike just tips over, as no paint would be damaged anywhere. In case of a fall at any speed, they will cause more damage. I want to come up with some sort of bracing for them to fix the sliders in place and stop them from rotating in the event of a fall.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive View Post
Well, I have already installed them on the bike. In case of a fall at any speed, they will cause more damage.
I wish you the best.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

So R&G are finally out with their sliders. Not pretty, as always, but I am wondering whether they will get the job done. Normally, R&G produces quality products. On the web site they are not showing how the slider mounts to the frame, which is the most important part. If it mounts to a single bolt and would rotate around it in the case of a crash, it seems as useless as the previous slider I ran...or a blatant copy. Anybody has this on their bike? Can you post a picture of how the new R&G slider mounts to the bike?

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/...ta/F4/CP0397/#

I will inquire with R&G directly also.
Attached Images

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S

Last edited by retrodrive; 02-20-2016 at 01:49 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 04:09 PM

New Site Garage
Hi

Its worth considering protecting the crankcases and forks/rear axle as well.

I fitted GB Racing case protectors recently, a 15 minute job to fit and they look better than I though they would.

I also use R&G axle sliders, the front is not particularly attractive but there is a new version that looks better, the rear looks okay.

My old 1000S has plastic mushroom shaped bungs fitted to the frame/cylinder head engine mounts which would give the frame the protection of about 5mm of plastic before it touched the ground. I think Xbikes does them for the later bikes.
Attached Images

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the GB pieces were the first mod on my bike I am waiting for RG to respond but if they do, its going to be after the weekend. Meanwhile I thought somebody may know something.

My concern with the slider being offset from the mounting point is that it would rotate during the slide and damage the frame and the panels even more. You need at last 2 anchor points to keep it from moving.

2014 F4 RR
Ducati Monster M1000S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode