question about the F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

question about the F4

I have come accross an opportunity to buy a 2010 F4 for around 4k.
It had a minor accident (previous owner lost control of a wheelie ) and requires new rearsets, clipons and fairings (it would be a track bike for me so cheap race fairings).

The only thing that is holding me back right now is the F****ing weight stats - I love the handling of my track Daytona (166kg full tank of gas) but i keep killing the engine so I am moving up to a 1000...when I compare the 2nd gen F4 weight to that of 2011 ZX10R I am deeply concerned.

Questions:
1. how hard is it to drop weight on the F4 and how much can readily be dropped? wheels, battery, exhaust, fairing, road gear a bit of titanium/aluminum, rear sub-frame and front fairing stay are things I normally swap out for weight loss...anything else common to do on the F4?
2. how does it handle with only stripping the road gear and how much does it weigh wet in this setup (I'm guessing 200kg or so).

Thanks in advance for helpfull comments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgivogue View Post
I have come accross an opportunity to buy a 2010 F4 for around 4k.
It had a minor accident (previous owner lost control of a wheelie ) and requires new rearsets, clipons and fairings (it would be a track bike for me so cheap race fairings).

The only thing that is holding me back right now is the F****ing weight stats - I love the handling of my track Daytona (166kg full tank of gas) but i keep killing the engine so I am moving up to a 1000...when I compare the 2nd gen F4 weight to that of 2011 ZX10R I am deeply concerned.

Questions:
1. how hard is it to drop weight on the F4 and how much can readily be dropped? wheels, battery, exhaust, fairing, road gear a bit of titanium/aluminum, rear sub-frame and front fairing stay are things I normally swap out for weight loss...anything else common to do on the F4?
2. how does it handle with only stripping the road gear and how much does it weigh wet in this setup (I'm guessing 200kg or so).

Thanks in advance for helpfull comments

Thought for the day..... Put Marc Marquez on the F4 and you on the ZX10R . How long would it be before Marquez is lapping you ?

My thinking is that we maybe would get better results if we concentrated on our riding skills than obtaining weight savings and other technical minutia on bikes that for most of us are way above our level anyway.

Just a thought and it is only a thought as I know little about racing ..

joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 09-04-2014 at 05:18 AM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

marquez - about 20 seconds on a long track. I do not pretend to be a professional racer but I like to setup a bike to my tastes.

regarding improving skills...it is an ongoing process that I do by getting on the track over 20 times a year and taking advanced training twice a year. I've progressed to the quick/racer group (ex. consistent 1:59 at Magny Cours on Daytona 675...World Superstock 600 pole qualifed with 1:44 in 2012) and after a few fitness goals get achieved (lose about 10kg off my fat ass) i plan to enter a few FFM races.

handling of a bike is most important part to me (brakes, suspension and geometry)...the F4 will be overkill for power to me but after breaking 3 engines this year (848 twice and Daytona once) I want to move up in capactiy so that i am not sitting on the rev limit all the time...but I want to retain the handling prowess of the Daytona if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
marquez - about 20 seconds on a long track. I do not pretend to be a professional racer but I like to setup a bike to my tastes.

regarding improving skills...it is an ongoing process that I do by getting on the track over 20 times a year and taking advanced training twice a year. I've progressed to the quick/racer group (ex. consistent 1:59 at Magny Cours on Daytona 675...World Superstock 600 pole qualifed with 1:44 in 2012) and after a few fitness goals get achieved (lose about 10kg off my fat ass) i plan to enter a few FFM races.

handling of a bike is most important part to me (brakes, suspension and geometry)...the F4 will be overkill for power to me but after breaking 3 engines this year (848 twice and Daytona once) I want to move up in capactiy so that i am not sitting on the rev limit all the time...but I want to retain the handling prowess of the Daytona if possible

: ) Just a random thought which is also transferrable to road riding.

I tip my hat to you guys who race. .I haven't got the nerves for it. Marc Marquez could lap me on a bicycle..

Enjoy
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Established Member

theres plenty of weight to be saved on the F4 and stats wise the do look bad compaired to some of the newer competition... however i have a 2010 F4 and realisticaly the weight is not a major concern... i've riden the new BMW and 1199 and i can honestly say i prefer the F4.... weight is not a real issue untill your talking about 10ths of a second around a track. to ride the F4's seems very light and they handle exstremely well when setup right and straight line performance i've drag raced both a new ZX10 and S1000rr and the F4 beat the ZX10 and really wasnt far behind the BMW not enough to even consider trading up to one

the only downside to the F4 is reliability, i've not had the greatest of luck with mine.... unless u count the fact i'm still alive which really shouldn't come into a reliabitly comparison haha

wieght saving wise tho, new exhaust and wheels and battery can drop 10kg straight up, then u can start geting into the nitty gritty stuff if u like
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

reliability issues?
I heard that it is one of the most mechanically reliable bikes around (at least Italian bike).

This mechanical reliability is one reason i am thinking about it (after the 3 critical engine failures this year).
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM

I just passed the 15,000km mark on mine with no issues (one recall). Another two friends have hit 24,000km and 33,000km on their with zero issues to report. It seems to really depends on the bike.

Toronto, Canada
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 01:08 PM

Swap the exhaust for a GP style stubby one, remove the Cat and it'd be a huge weight saving to start with. They don't feel heavy to ride though. It's a well balanced machine.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

got the bike...under 4000€ plus around 1k in repairs and it is good for the road/track incl a set of new race fairings (ok, need to replace a side pannel for the road to make it proper pretty).
Big surprise when i took delivery - first registration is 03.2013 and only has 5100km on it...

quick question - any recommendations on race pads? Initial bite is a bit weak IMO even though it is nicely progressive...i'm worried about brake fade on track.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Paors
Quote:
got the bike...under 4000 plus around 1k in repairs and it is good for the road/track incl a set of new race fairings (ok, need to replace a side pannel for the road to make it proper pretty).
Big surprise when i took delivery - first registration is 03.2013 and only has 5100km on it...

quick question - any recommendations on race pads? Initial bite is a bit weak IMO even though it is nicely progressive...i'm worried about brake fade on track.
I'm through my third set of stock Brembo pads on my track F4RR(they're Brembo SC I think) - they work really well, but wear fast. Initial bite is really strong compared to Brembo RC, for example. A lot of our racers use SBS dual carbon pads, too.
The F4 chassis needs some work to be track-worthy - but do try it in stock config and tell me what you think - there aren't many of us that do track days on 2010+ F4's.

'13 F4 RR
'11 BMW R1200RT
'12 Aprilia Dorsoduro 1200 - sold
'08 BMW R1200GS Adv - sold
'10 HD XR1200 - sold
'10 Blata Ultima

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode