Quick Shifter Theory - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quick Shifter Theory

Anyone able to find any information on how the 2013/14 Quickshift system is activated through the wire attached to the clamp bolt on the shift lever. Is it through tilt when the lever is moved?

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:21 PM

It's always been kind of a mystery to me how a washer knows when you're shifting.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Exactly, know one seems to know!

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM

New Site Garage
It's a strain gauge inside the mechanism, activated by the amount of pressure applied through the bolt, hard to explain, but it's not a tilt switch.
I do believe the bolt torque tension is quite important, so if you adjust the lever, make sure you get that right.
They've been around in various forms for a while.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, the next question is, what`s the correct torque? It could probably just need to detect any sort of strain from it`s stable state before the shift which would negate the need to get that bolt torqued to a very specific number.

2014 MV Agusta F4
Moto Guzzi 1100 Sporti
Yamaha R1
Honda CT90
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:05 AM

If it's really as simple as detecting strain. I don't know why it doesn't cut ignition on downshift.
I mean can it really tell if it's being pushed up or down?
Obviously that wouldn't cause it to blip or rev match but why doesn't it cut ignition to initiate a shift?

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 AM
LWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyk View Post
Thanks, the next question is, what`s the correct torque? It could probably just need to detect any sort of strain from it`s stable state before the shift which would negate the need to get that bolt torqued to a very specific number.

See pic
Attached Images

Please do not complain on my English, I'm Swedish!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyk View Post
Ask your dealer or check the Workshop manual about torque settings, read up about strain gauge operation in other quick shifters, not all use the strain gauge method, some are just a switch. The pressure on the strain gauge determines how long the ignition is interrupted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
If it's really as simple as detecting strain. I don't know why it doesn't cut ignition on downshift.
I mean can it really tell if it's being pushed up or down?
Obviously that wouldn't cause it to blip or rev match but why doesn't it cut ignition to initiate a shift?
Why do you need ignition cut on downshift, your throttle is closed, if you think it through you'll see what I mean
How many wires on the F4's unit?
It's not hard these days for software developers to write program's that use downshift auto blipping via quichshifter, It's been used in racing for some time.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

Why do you need ignition cut on downshift, your throttle is closed, if you think it through you'll see what I mean
How many wires on the F4's unit?
It's not hard these days for software developers to write program's that use downshift auto blipping via quichshifter, It's been used in racing for some time.
I don't think I NEED it, I'm just curious. If the strain gauge is programmed to do it, how does it know if you pushing up or down?

Like you say it's not hard for them to do. So why doesn't the auto blip work on MV's? I mean on the "first ride" report in the magazines, over a year ago, they said it worked flawlessly.

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 12:02 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR-1 View Post
I don't think I NEED it, I'm just curious. If the strain gauge is programmed to do it, how does it know if you pushing up or down?

Like you say it's not hard for them to do. So why doesn't the auto blip work on MV's? I mean on the "first ride" report in the magazines, over a year ago, they said it worked flawlessly.
In it's own way it works like a double pole or two way switch, this I am assuming, the strain gauge I use have to be aught which way is upshifting, no swapping of wires.

I'll take a stab in the dark till somebody like Chris or Hans corrects me:
1. When the ECU see's a closed throttle position, then get's a pressure signal from the q/s, it can be programmed to do the right thing with the gas and your foot does the rest, using throttle position sensors etc.
When your hard on the gas and it pics up q/s pressure the ECU will do go the other way.
2. Or the way some other units do it (Honda I've worked on), will use a three wire switch (non strain gauge), push one way and pull the other way, send's a different signal (2-way switch).

I've heard of a few guys on the forum who's had the software updates and the downshift auto blip works just fine, another had to have the bolt replaced or re-torqued. I believe some don't care about using it. Best to hear from them, sorry mate, can't help any more than that.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode