# Refurberd the hub today - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
MV-Woodster

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default Refurberd the hub today

Well today I returned the rear hub ready for the the forth coming riding season here in the uk if the weather arrives bike has covered 18400 miles and last time this was done was 12000 miles ago so thought it was time to do it bearings were fine when I got the hub out no failers but once it was out I may aswell replace and refurb the whole hub another job done on the old girl

But must say I couldn't of done it without the help of john (jds) well when I say help I mean he actually did it for me I just held stuff lol

Hub stripped down cleaned and ready for new bearings and seals

Nice new bearings ready to go in

New bearings in new seals and all greased up ready to back into swing arm

Bike up on a makeshift abba stand can u spot how we did it

Here is away of saving urself money buying a Abbas stand guys simply turn the footpegs over and use two axle stands bike is very secure and stable

Whilst she was off gave her some new rear be six mrr race pads lovely

All cleaned and fitted

JUST NEED THE BRITISH WEATHER TO GIVE US SOME RIDING WEATHER NOW PLEASE COME ON

Like to say a big thank you to john for all the help ( doing the job ) and suppling the bearings and seal kit to start with thanks again mate your a diamond

Last edited by MV-Woodster : 01-10-2013 at 01:15 PM.
MV-Woodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Rommeld

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Bad memories come back to me. Happy that I have this work also behind me
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Thumbs up

My pleasure Woodster..

The only problem we had was getting the axle side nut off, which was unusual because it's normally the wheel nut that can be a sod to remove..

I recon you caught the bearing just in time before they began to fail (good catch), but considering the mileage you had out of them, you didnít do to bad..

It was nice of Scott down at Staples Corner to allow us accesses to his bearing press, otherwise I wouldnít have been able to do this hub refurbishment.. And he made us a decent cup of tea, which was a bonus considering it was in a non franchise Mercedes dealerÖ

It was a good idea to turn the foot hangerís upside down to allow the bike to be supported on the axle stands.. Good thinking Batman..

I little tip for you guys doing this overhaul at home is to heat the hub up before installing the new bearings and if itís at all possible (which in 99.9% of cases it isnít) place the new bearings in the freezer over night, as this helps facilitate the installation of the new bearings .

EMAIL : john@jandrdasilva.co.uk

Warning : Strong Sex References, Hard Drug Use and Strong Language

Last edited by JDS : 01-11-2013 at 05:43 AM.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Good thread guys. John, Do you think that given the fragility of the bearings that it makes sense as general advice to the home mechanic, when re-furbing the hub to do the disassembly yourself and if you are not experienced in bearing removal and refitting, to hand the unit to an engineer with the bearing press and pay a few quid for piece of mind. That's how you did it and that's how I do it. Once I start thinking of swinging a hammer I take a step back ..; )

With regards to supporting the bike on axle stands and inverting the pegs...I did it this way but there is no need to touch the pegs. The bike should be supported inboard at the peg pivot point. This is the strongest part of the assembly and less of a " lever arm " effect..and of course no need to take the pegs apart..

joe
Attached Images

Last edited by gotojoe : 01-11-2013 at 06:16 AM.
gotojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
MV-Woodster

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Good thread guys. John, Do you think that given the fragility of the bearings that it makes sense as general advice to the home mechanic, when re-furbing the hub to do the disassembly yourself and if you are not experienced in bearing removal and refitting, to hand the unit to an engineer with the bearing press and pay a few quid for piece of mind. That's how you did it and that's how I do it. Once I start thinking of swinging a hammer I take a step back ..; )

With regards to supporting the bike on axle stands and inverting the pegs...I did it this way but there is no need to touch the pegs. The bike should be supported inboard at the peg pivot point. This is the strongest part of the assembly and less of a " lever arm " effect..and of course no need to take the pegs apart..

joe
We did everything our selfs its a relatively easy job if you take your time and don't rush it no need to pay someone if u have a little patients and mechanical know how

I turned the pegs around just to give a more stable base for stands as I didn't want the tops of axle stands that close to frame plates

Over all was a relativity easy job like john says heat hub makes it a lot easier and access to a bearing press was vital

So thanks john again mate and thanks to my mate scoot for excess to press and your lad making tea
Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-Woodster View Post
We did everything our selfs its a relatively easy job if you take your time and don't rush it no need to pay someone if u have a little patients and mechanical know how

I turned the pegs around just to give a more stable base for stands as I didn't want the tops of axle stands that close to frame plates

Over all was a relativity easy job like john says heat hub makes it a lot easier and access to a bearing press was vital

So thanks john again mate and thanks to my mate scoot for excess to press and your lad making tea

Ha ha yes tea is imperative ! Wot I'm suggesting is that if a guy doing this hasn't got access to a bearing press and/or the hands on experience to do the bearing insertion , to go as far as hub removal and then pay a shop £ 10- £ 20.00 to press the bearings in. You guys were on top of things as you had access to a press and knowledge and of course the tea !

As far as supporting the bike is concerned..I have carried out a full bike build and a frame removal twice with this method and bike does not move. The pivot " bracket" is stronger position by far due to less of a lever moment and the mechanical strength of the inboard section of the assembly.
just my tuppence worth..Its not too easy to see cracks in the footpegs where they pivot and I'd hate to see a bike tumble if an inverted foot peg gave way...
I left the protective shop cloth off for the picture..

joe

Last edited by gotojoe : 01-11-2013 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Joe, don't ever ask how we did Carlos's bearings in my garage...Alex can swing a mean hammer...and no one lost an eye!
ďIím not in great physical shape anymore,Ē he says, ďbut nowadays I feel more normal on the bike than I do even walking up stairs. Itís amazing we can get such power by just twisting your right hand, and as long as you can do that, as long as you can still get that thrill, youíre living.Ē
Michael Czysz
silentservice703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Joe, don't ever ask how we did Carlos's bearings in my garage...Alex can swing a mean hammer...and no one lost an eye!

OMG !!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #9
JDS
King of Bling

Hey Joe

Drifting the old bearings out is the easy part and most competent self taught home mechanics should be able to manage that task.

However, installing the new bearings is a different matter and I wouldnít even attempt doing that process without a proper hydraulic press..

So to answer your question Joe, yes I think it's a no brainer not to pay someone to install the new bearings if you haven't got access to a hydraulic press or aren't confident in installing interference fit bearings.

I know there is an MV Technical Advise link on the internet showing the use of a normal bench vice to install the new bearings, but I wouldnít advise that method be used..

The needle bearing cage is so flimsy that is could be easily damaged if installed on the piss.. Also, I recon itís critical that the RS bearing be installed with the minimal amount of effort to increase its longevity. This is why itís advisable to heat up the hub casing to aid the installation process.

Normally when I support an MV on the axle stands, I remove the foot pegs completely and install a long bolt into the frame plate and rest the bike on this bolt.. Unfortunately, I couldnít find these bolts and Woodster didnít have any in his garage, so we improvised with the ď Heath RobinsonĒ affair and inverted the OEM foot pegs..

My problem is that I want to install a set of magnesium frame plates on my F4 and have no means to do this swap over with the limited facilities I have in my own garage.. Iíve never done this frame plate swap over before and Iím not looking forward to doing it either.. Truth be told, itís one of the main excuses thatís been holding me back from doing my F4 project bike..

PS: Chuck.. I suspect your joking about the "Shock & Awe" technique..

Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
JDS
King of Bling

Wink

Huh, huhhuhuh .. Joe.. You said "Insertion" .... Heh, henh, henh, henh!.

Huh, huhhuhuh .. Insertion is coool !... Heh, henh, henh, henh!.