|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Brando
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Default Why do F4 750 chains cost more than 1000s?

Hi, I am currently collecting a number of parts to rebuild my F4. I am looking at chains and sprockets for the bike. I have noticed that the chain for a 750 is almost double than that of the 1000 models. I am looking at chain kits on eBay, we're an F4 1000 chain/ sprocket is £120 and the F4 750 is £190-£220.
Can any one cast a light as to why this would be, and what's the difference in the two chains.
Thanks for reading. Brando.
Brando is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
trickydicky
Established Member

The standard 750 sprocket costs a fortune on its own. I found it was cheaper to buy a quick change carrier sprocket and chain
trickydicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
cus

same here
cus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Brando
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Thank you for your advise. What is a quick change carrier sprocket? How is this different from the standard MV unit. Could you possibly point me in the right direction of one of these kits.
Please forgive my simple questions guys, this is my first big bike being 18.
Thank you for your help.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
cus

Go to Design Corse (sponsor at bottom of forum page),click on MV and then "F4 and Brutale parts" and then "chains and sprockets" and you will see carriers ,sprockets and combos and get some idea of prices.I got my sprockets and chains from them and my carrier from "The Knurl" used. Design Corse was excellent to deal with and even called me from england to aus on my mobile when I stuffed the order up, now that`s service. There will be many wiser in the ways of MV`s than I on this site that will help with what fits what, just ask.
cheers Cus.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
cus

Sorry Brando I didn`t answer your question, the "quick change carrier" allows you to change the sprocket with out having to undo the left axle nut and all that is involved with it.Probably more importantly for most of us is that it means you can use sprockets from any number of manufacturers which equates to lower cost.You do have to cough up for a new or used carrier but that is a one off cost and is soon offset by the choice and savings in sprockets. Apearance wise the quick change carrier has an extra set of bolts around its perimeter which is what allows the easier sprocket removal.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink Qc?

Brando;
on the early bikes the cush drive rubbers were in the sprocket, the sprocket isn't flat it has sockets machined into it for the rubbers

click on a picture of a later bike you'll see the difference

buy a stock MV 'quick change' carrier, then you can use any flat sprocket (steel or aluminum) designed for MVs (its the bolt pattern and the 5 sided hole)

you will get more life out of steel sprockets and 525 chain

if you buy an STM carrier for more money.......you need their sprockets too with the big price tag

down load the manuals here;
http://my.agusta.us/

all of the ones on Ebay are incomplete (i just checked)......study the parts manual

i have at least 1, possibly 2 quick change carriers.....1 is promised to Donsy....i'll look, PM me a reminder

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Brando
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Ok thanks for the info.
Has anyone a side by side picture of both units so I can see and understand better? For example I am curious as to we're the Cush drive rubbers fit into the new set up.
Although I have been pointed to one for sale from the USA, I live in the UK. We're can I buy the kit over here, any ideas?
Also I have the manuals on my PC, however some times a quick side by side picture is simpler ans easier is anyone has one at hand.
Again thanks for helping.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Donsy
Senior Member or Something

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy
Default Jeepers

I thought you young guys can google anything, bloody slacker .
Okay mate, if you need to replace your chain and sprocket's, it will always be a bit dear on the 750 if you stick with the OEM gear.
Not too many guys on here will still own both, have pictures of both, never mind side by side, or working on them....

There is 3 options. (This is a quick breakdown only)

1. Buy OEM and pay heavily, and keep in mind that you are getting a ally rear sprocket at a premium HIGH price.
2. Get a 1000F4 or 910s Brutale and later model carrier etc, pay a bit more now, or less if you can get it secondhand, but you have the option of long time steel sprockets ($) or fairly okay ally sprockets (cheap).
3. You can get a STM or Tallon Carrier, looks cool, but like Noel said, you HAVE to use their rear sprockets, good thing is, they look cool, and the sprockets are cheap. But the over-all conversion is costly.

I recommend option 2 every time, with option 3 next.

If Noel or CAG can't help you out of the US , there is Al at Design Corse and Mark at Timemachinebikes in the UK as another option.

You have had a look at the forum sponsors, I hope -http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Here's a few pics. Ask away young man
Attached Images

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #10
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Wink Plagiarism is wonderful if the author is ignorant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post

Here's a few pics. Ask away young man
Brando

That last picture of the OEM 750 sprockets Dons posted is of my spare OEM sprockets.. (these where a special order from MV for my SPR and will have different teeth amount from your current sprocket).. These are for sale with 65% discount off the original MV price.

I'm sure Mark or CAG will have some complete later type sprocket carrier's in stock for sale, but if not then I have either the early OEM new sprockets and possibility 1 x later type MV quick release carrier set up with new OEM steel sprockets..

As you’ve already been made aware, using the later type MV quick release steel sprocket set up you’ll need to change up to 525 pitch chain. Alternatively, you can stick with your original pitch chain and get 520 pitch sprockets from Talon to fit the OEM MV quick release set up.

This is the cheapest site I’ve found DID chains for sale here in the UK.

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products?pt=159&st=pt

PS: I haven't forgotten about the F4 Oro bike cover, it's just that I've been busy the last month and today is the first day I've had some spare time to check out the forum.
Attached Images

Home of The Original CORSESuperleggera #01

MV F4 Corse Superleggera # 01
Ducati 1098R
ELR 1068cc

EMAIL : john@jandrdasilva.co.uk

“Life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!”....

JDS is offline   Reply With Quote