|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > Brutale B4
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
palerider
Established Member

Question 2010 990R turn signal question

A question for those who know: I went to replace my OEM mirror/LED signals with Syncro Bullet LED (front only) signals from Motovation (they have built-in resistors). They work fine with the ignition on and engine off. However once the engine is started I get a single quick flash - then nothing. Just for kicks I tried a set of Rizoma Zero LED signals (with & without the load box, with & without resistors and with & without both - they didn't work at all regardless of configuration). I put everything back to stock and the stock signals function normally.

I would like to put the Syncro LED signals back on, as I do not like the OEM mirrors (besides I bought a nice set of Rizoma mirrors for the lady already...)

Any electro wizards out there have an idea what's wrong?
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Red Baron

Are the connections correct?

Ae you using the MV/Rizoma OEM pigtails?
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
palerider
Established Member

Yes, connections are correct and I am using the pigtail adaptors (if you reverse polarity they just won't work at all being LED's). It's possible the battery is weak, the bike was on the showroom floor for 18 months and the battery was flat when I went to test ride it. The dealer swapped in another for the test ride, though I assume charged and installed the original before I took delivery. I have a new Shorai coming in a couple of days - we will see if that sorts things out. Thought I would see if anybody had experienced similar issues.
I had a 2006 910 S prior to the 990R, it had turn signal issues (and some major stalling), though a warranty replacement relay box took care of those problems.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
abazhle
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
A question for those who know: I went to replace my OEM mirror/LED signals with Syncro Bullet LED (front only) signals from Motovation (they have built-in resistors). They work fine with the ignition on and engine off. However once the engine is started I get a single quick flash - then nothing. Just for kicks I tried a set of Rizoma Zero LED signals (with & without the load box, with & without resistors and with & without both - they didn't work at all regardless of configuration). I put everything back to stock and the stock signals function normally.

I would like to put the Syncro LED signals back on, as I do not like the OEM mirrors (besides I bought a nice set of Rizoma mirrors for the lady already...)

Any electro wizards out there have an idea what's wrong?
I don't think you need resistors. I too fitted a pair of Rizoma Elisse mirrors and Melotti LED (without resistors) blinkers to my 2011 1090 RR

http://www.melottimoto.com/template....d_prod=367110#

I never had any issues with the Melottis. Perhaps it's battery related...but definitely no need to use resistors since the stock blinkers are LEDs as well.

Last edited by abazhle : 12-27-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Typos
abazhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
billywhizzz

If the current draw is wrong the indicators will work and then it trips until you turn it off and on again, I had the same issue with mine when I fitted LEDS, it came down to getting the resistor load correct, sounds like you have the same issues, I had to double up the resistors, I remember posting something at some point in the past.
billywhizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
palerider
Established Member

I suspect you may be correct billywhizz - I'll be doing some experimentation following the new year - I have an assemblage of resistors and signals collected over the years to play with. Thx.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #7
Bev Evans
Established Member

Get yourself a multi meter and measure the resistance of the bikes indicators and the ones your going to replace them with. Bear in mind they are led's so if you get a high infinty reading swop the probes round and measure again. If the originals have a higher resistance value than the replacements then you need to put a resistor in series with the replacement indicators that brings the combined resistance value upto the same resistance value as the originals. If the original indicators have a lower restance value than the replacements youneed to put the resistor in parallel with the replacement indicator

* http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

Put the resistance value of the replacement indicator in the first box R1 of the above calculator and the resistance value of the original in the result box the calculated value of R2 will be the value of the parallel resistor you need to use with the replacement indicator..
Bev Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

i put a Clear Alternatives LED tail/indicators combo on and Kellermann LEDs on the front no resister required, they blink 30% faster......maybe cage drivers will see it easier

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Here, in the U.S., turn signals are required to have a "blink rate" between 60 and 120 cycles per minute.
Im not in great physical shape anymore, he says, but nowadays I feel more normal on the bike than I do even walking up stairs. Its amazing we can get such power by just twisting your right hand, and as long as you can do that, as long as you can still get that thrill, youre living.
Michael Czysz
silentservice703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
palerider
Established Member

I will be at the bench with my digital milti-meter playing electronics technician this weekend, following the advice of Bev Evans. I prefer the standard flash rate and signals that stand out a bit - if you get them too close to another source of light (headlamp, taillamp) they get washed out and are more difficult for drivers to see (assuming they are actually looking), which is why I don't like the integrated rear tail/turn units. I think the stock front LED signals work great - it's the mirrors that suck. Mine just flop down at the first hint of a bump or vibration: great view of my wrists, but not much else. I probably made a mistake buying the Synchro signal units with integrated resistors, as they likely don't need them (the existing signals are already LED). Motovation's listing is misleading, as the signals are listed under "bike specific" for the 2010 Brutale, and noted to "work with all Brutale models", which is clearly not so... I'll get it worked out, and will post my final solution for those who may run into the same situation. The Synchro's may end up on my 72 Norton or my 74 Laverda - maybe the '57 Featherlastic that's coming together slowly - yes I like older bikes too!