|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F3
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
petrole

No MVs in the Registry

Default My Tail tidy solution

So been thinking of making one since I got the bike and since I got off work early on Friday, figured what the heck....it can't be that hard...
I don't like the current ones on the market in that (although, side view of the tail looks great), the rear view of the tail (which is the sexiest part of the bike) is blocked entirely by the license plate with only the brake light showing.
Had what I wanted in mind, so I grabbed so aluminum stock I had lying around and quickly free-handed a template. I made sure that the design didn't involve cutting up or drilling into any of the stock fairings or undertail.

Mind you I'm not a fabricator (although I did audition to play one on TV once), so don't laugh at my metal work. I'm just a guy armed with a Dremel who thinks he can build anything with it...hehe.

So anyways, cut out my design and made some bends:

(yes, does look like a dog chewed on it )

Then a little sanding, drilled some holes, coat of black paint, and time to install.
So basically, dropped the black undertail and also loosen/removed the tail fairings (followed this thread on how to do it. Thanks 671erSDF3!!!).
Then I removed the screws holding the Regulator/Rectifier.
The plate holder goes around the R/R and uses the same mounting bolt:

View from underneath:

Then bolted everything back up and voila!!

And regarding the license plate light wire, I ran it through the same square hole that the R/R's plug goes through. Convenient.

Can view the plate perfectly from behind. Angle is spot on. Not like those squid bikes that basically have it pointing at the ground. (I used my highly calibrated eyeball to judge the angle when I free-handed it.)
petrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
petrole

No MVs in the Registry

Have no issues with clearance. Did aggressive canyon riding and not even a mark. Even road over speed bumps at local supermarket to test out.

And if you're wondering where I put the rear blinkers. You guessed it...

The stock ones are too large to fit in there, so I had a couple of old blinkers lying around from another bike (small enough and normal bulbs, not LEDs - don't like cause blinks to fast or requires load resistors which heat up). The white vent holes acts as a reflector and enhances the blinkers luminosity...cool!

I'm currently working on a plug for the void left by the original plate holder.
Have the template made and now thinking of material.

Option 1: carbon fiber and then paint to same color
Option 2: cut out clear, red reflector material and then put light behind and splice into brake light, so it becomes part of the brake light system

Last edited by petrole : 12-23-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
rz33v4

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

To each his/her own I guess, but this looks like it was done for a HonYamKawaSuki rather than for an MV. All of us want the plate holder to be in proportion, size-wise, to the tail section, but to cover the rectifier, blocking the cooling airflow, and then to point the license plate toward the ground...eh, no.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
petrole

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz33v4 View Post
...rather than for an MV.
You know, if MV had sent out an official MV Agusta design guide/policy, I would've adhered to it (or not, based on the stock one )
But you are absolutely correct...to each their own.
Just giving an option to the community or folks who were contemplating a different mounting solution.

Btw, it doesn't cover or block airflow to the R/R. I made sure of that. I know R/R's are problematic painpoints on bikes. It actually scoops/channels air over it and cools it (based on my skin of the finger test).

Last edited by petrole : 12-24-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
ondgas

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via AIM to ondgas

Looks good bro. I like it. Its your bike and I really like the fact that you dont give a shit about what others think. There is a vast portion of ducati aprillia mv agusta etc owners out there that have parking lot queens. Never changing anything from stock. And riding there pretty iconic sport bike from parking lot to parking lot. No matter what you do to the bike or what kind of parts you put on it its still YOUR MV AGUSTA. I prefer the sleek look of the tail with no plate. Unfortunately here in VA there pretty hard on the plate thing. Check my past thread. I also made my own. I think ill make one like yours before you patend the design. Lol. Nice job
ondgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
petrole

No MVs in the Registry

^^ Thanks Jet.
Yeah I'm actually in process of refining it and getting the IP squared away.

Cheers!

2013 MV Agusta F3
2007 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S
1998 Honda RS250R
1994 Honda RS125R