|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > The Lounge > Lee's Kitchen Sink
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Default Announcement! you may want to ignore my posts for a while

I'm still the same lovable, generous, reasonable guy I've always been, but I'm going to be taking Elton to the woodshed every time he posts. If the arguing and bickering and insults bother you, please don't read the threads he and I are participating in.

I'll lay off in a while but right now I need an outlet for some excess energy.

Remember, it's sport!
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
mrinflux
Banned

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

As they say down at the shooting range, "Lock and load!"
mrinflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
mrinflux
Banned

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Do they actually say that down at the shooting range? I've never actually been to the shooting range.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
CAG

No, they don't. They'll say things like "the line is hot" or "line is cold". I know you hate guns, but I also know you appreciate engineering, precision, and beauty. We need to go the range.

We only say lock and load when hunting progressives.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Ready on the right? Ready on the left? Fire! Fire! Fire!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
mrinflux
Banned

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I know you hate guns, but I also know you appreciate engineering, precision, and beauty. We need to go the range.
You're right. And while I've said that I, "abhor guns," it would probably be more accurate to say I hate the thought of an armed society.

As I've admitted repeatedly, as a purely mechanical device, I think guns are cool. Notwitstanding, I resist the urge to own one, (or 9!), because I don't think there's any realistic way to safely regulate ownership. I'm confident I could safely own a gun, (as is virtually every other gun owner), but I also recognize the inherent fallacy in that statement, so the only sensible thing to do, for the greater good, is to not indulge my adolescent desire to play with guns.

It comes back to the individual vs. the common good, once again.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
italia

"Load and make ready." - It's an IDPA command.

Elton, I (along with 17,000 others in 50 countries) compete in IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association). It's a shooting sport organization that conducts pistol competition matches that simulate self-defense scenarios and real life encounters.

The organization is highly focused on safe firearm handling, and training its members on developing defensive skills using common defensive handguns. Match Directors and Safety Officers control the matches, and many of our club's matches include several military, former military, and police officers as competitors.

Obviously, the competitive nature of the sport is a primary interest to most participants. Each competitor is scored based on accuracy and time within a 'class' of handguns. I compete in SSP (Stock Service Pistol) class and am ranked as a Marksman, which is a pretty average competitor - I have a lot of improvement opportunity!

Honestly, I have to laugh when I hear people talk about restricting handgun magazines to 10 cartridges (bullets). If you see an IDPA competitor hit 17 different targets in 9 seconds using a 10 cartridge magazine (which obviously necessitates changing magazines), you quickly realize that someone with a little training could easily murder a couple of dozen people with three or four 10-cartridge magazines in a minute or so. I can perform a tactical reload (swapping magazines) in about 3 seconds, and the fastest competitors can do it in about 1 second. But, laws against high capacity magazines make people feel better.

Here's a one second magazine swap (reload): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJpk0kbLedM

Here's a video of one competitor doing all 16 stages at the 2012 IDPA National Championships - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8iq9LTlPw4

It's a really fun and safe sport - you should try it!
'04 Ducati Monster 1000S
'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold
~Amo tutte le cose italiane~
italia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
CAG

Well, I have to admire how you put principle, as misguided as it is, before personal enjoyment. But I have to agree with Kevin. Having shot both IDPA and IPSIC, you would find it challenging, rewarding, relaxing, and fun.

Just wait till someone hosts a three gun match. You're head will explode. No pun intended.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Well, I have to admire how you put principle, as misguided as it is, before personal enjoyment. But I have to agree with Kevin. Having shot both IDPA and IPSIC, you would find it challenging, rewarding, relaxing, and fun.

Just wait till someone hosts a three gun match. You're head will explode. No pun intended.

Wait a minute. 17,000 people in 50 countries shoot pistols at targets? But we've been told by a constitutional scholar that pistols are useless for target shooting.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
trickydicky
Established Member

I understand the American fascination with Guns

When i was 26 I decided to take up arms never had anything to do with them prior to that. I trained 2 days twice a month. I used a S & W .38, Remington pump action with folding stock Ruger 223 with folding stock and H & K 9mm. I was trained for all sorts of Scenarios.

I changed my roll at work and could not commit to the training so after 8 years gave it up. Haven't touched one since. I realy enjoyed it though and the best thing it didn't cost me a penny I was paid to do it
trickydicky is offline   Reply With Quote