|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > Classic
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Exclamation Tributo Ago - 14+ Years In The Making

The adventure started 25 April 1998 (ANZAC day) for the Aussies amongst us - with a road trip to Melbourne, my cousin & I drove to Albury (600klms) to my dear friend's house, stayed there overnight, the 3 of us played golf at Thurgoona next morning and after lunch headed down to Ringwood (300klms +). $1800 later and at about 5.00pm I was the proud owner of this:

It had 1800klm original, it had been smashed & sold - it was was missing the back wheel (that's a Ducati Pantah wheel on there) Magneto was gone lost, pretty much a lost cause - the previous owner spent a lot of money (thankfully most on the engine) and got pretty much nowhere - he gave up and I took up the challenge. That was pre-internet days when I used to write to the MV Owners Club in the UK - wait 4 weeks for a reply order a bank draft & post it off - wait for parts & some 9-10 weeks after the initial letter they would show up - then you needed something else & you did all again & if they didn't have it, you start looking at magazines, going to swap meets & 9 times out of 10 come up with nothing. Time simply FLEW unlike progress made.

Many times it was suggested by loving wife, my friends & pretty much anyone I knew to give up as it was a waste of time and an obsession that would do me more harm than good. I would move to the back of garage & let it sit for a year or two but never ever would I give up. Patience has always had its own rewards.

On the 13 December 2012 - it roared into life - the agony & the ecstasy! 14 years 8 months & 18 days later, we had this:

Last edited by MVista : 12-16-2012 at 02:32 PM.
MVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
oepie

Take off that cover, Rob!
oepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
BG Wells

I know you are fanatical about all things MV Agusta Rob.....but I think you have lost the plot if it took you 14 years, 8 months and 18 days just to make that cover!! .....even if you got specially bred 'castiglioni' spiders to provide the thread!.
I hope there is a bike under there...and not just you finishing off the 'hem' inside...cause I think I can see your elbow and knee there!! Heheee
Brian.

Last edited by BG Wells : 12-15-2012 at 08:02 AM.
BG Wells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Wink It only took Michelangelo 4 years to paint The Sistine Chapel Ceiling...

Come on Rob..

Lets have some more pictures of this MV tributo Ago.. ..

It's taken you 14 years to date, so I still have some time left to go to beat your record... I promise, I promise that 2013 will be the year my F4 project will be finished..

EMAIL : john@jandrdasilva.co.uk

Warning : Strong Sex References, Hard Drug Use and Strong Language
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
emmevi125s

ahhh ... 14 years, 8 months, 18 days, what's another day or two. Well Rob that might be fine for you but what about the rest of us. If we have to wait that long well then, there is a good chance for some of us old buggers that we will never see it.

I have seen a small pic of the bike and it does look pretty good
emmevi125s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG Wells View Post
I know you are fanatical about all things MV Agusta Rob.....but I think you have lost the plot if it took you 14 years, 8 months and 18 days just to make that cover!! .....even if you got specially bred 'castiglioni' spiders to provide the thread!.
I hope there is a bike under there...and not just you finishing off the 'hem' inside...cause I think I can see your elbow and knee there!! Heheee
Brian.
OMG Brian!!!! It was worth waiting 14 years, 8 months & 18 days just read that comment - Pure gold my friend!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Wink Suffer For Your Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Come on Rob..

Lets have some more pictures of this MV tributo Ago.. ..

It's taken you 14 years to date, so I still have some time left to go to beat your record... I promise, I promise that 2013 will be the year my F4 project will be finished..

4 years to do the Sistine Chapel? He'd doesn't know what it means to suffer for your art - bloody Pansy!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
BG Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVista View Post
4 years to do the Sistine Chapel? He'd doesn't know what it means to suffer for your art - bloody Pansy!
Well.., I'll give you that Rob, only IF 'you' promise you did all the.. 'Embroidery' by hand using only a blunt nail as a needle while wearing a pair of left handed boxing gloves and a welding mask. Because I seen one of those covers on ebay not so long ago.....now it may not be up to the standard of yours but, then I think the guy who made it has is 14 years 8 months and 18 days younger.
Brian
BG Wells is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
ACT MV
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Ok I'm leaning forward and holding my breath .... Please take of the cover

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
ACT MV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Smile The Rest Of The Story

Eventually, I sourced everything I wanted, a long hard slog, in the interim I had the frame powder coated charcoal - I then assembled the bike & it looked like this in 2010:

The bike ran , I wanted to make sure that it was all ok - it then went off to have its head redone with proper valves seat & a little 'work' - The bike came back mid 2011.

At this point the bike (despite its rat looks) ran superbly, so what did I do next? This:

And turned it into this:

Then I sent it off to be repainted, the powder coating was always meant to be it base coat - by a slight rub back & then paint you get a stunning result: About a year later - this came home:

Notice the modified tail:

And then it became this:

Which became this:

Note the magneto: it looks like the original Dansi but was in fact manufactured in a backyard near Penrith from scratch - I wasn't going to mention this BUT (what the heck) the pick up & electronic station is from a Honda married to the original MV diode & coils - thre logic behind this to keep the 'spirit' of the bike & as the greatest tussles came with Honda & Mike Hailwood - we though it would add to the 'tribute spirit'. Sadly the maker is no longer with us & never got to see his creation work.

And little more tinkering it became this:

& on December 13 2012 ; It became this:

And it sounds like this (click on Pic it should work):

There are still a few minor things, I have the MV red racing grips which are to be added & the cover for the front light will be ready early in the new year - we simply push the headlight back 20mm & give it the full race look - the moulded taillight is un-intrusive and doesn't detract from the race look. Also I am having a little 'Tributo Ago' decal made for the side of the front screen. The bike will be at Phillip Island on January 26 & I am hoping to get Ago to sign it for me.

I have so many people to thank I don't even know where to start - my lovely wife (Lou) who as always supports me to the hilt. My son (Christian) who was 3 when I started this & was instrumental in the final build assembly - in fact, without him there is no way it would have fired 3rd kick, he has a very bright future in the motorcycle world! Ivan whom build the custom Dansi/Honda ignition system - we certainly won't ever forget you & your talents. Dutchy of Dutchy's Motorcycle spray painting who literally did do a Michelangelo 16 months he had the bike - did all the fabrication & the paint work? well the photos do it absolutely no justice at all - his patience in coming up with the 'right red' - I saw many bikes in museums etc but I didn't want a copy of a race bike, I wanted a tribute I wanted something to reflect Count Agusta's reference to "red fire engines" - Dutchy nailed it right down to the hand painted number 1 on the side.

It rides great - I am hoping to get it registered next weekend

2012 has been a remarkable year for me - I certainly doubt it is one that I can repeat in terms of MV Agusta acquisitions but one I will remember and have a special place in my heart.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Make that a 14 year heartbeat

Thanks for reading.

Anima MVista

Last edited by MVista : 12-16-2012 at 02:28 AM.
MVista is offline   Reply With Quote