Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
gvanrenterghem

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default Broken gearbox?

Hi guys,

I have read a few threads about F4 gearbox issue and think it might be the "Recall Shift return spring" issue I have but wanted to check with you.

I have never had any issue with the gearbox (or any gearbox on any bike) except a few false neutral but more due to me, until yesterday as I took the bike and after less than 1 mile started to realise that I could not go back to Neutral (I was in second gear), simply nothing happened when I was pushing the gear leaver down. I tried to re-engage the second gear by clutching and try again to shift one gear down to neutral, but it did not work. I then tried to go into 3rd gear, this worked. I then tried from 3rd to go down to 2nd, but this was impossible. Then I tried to go to 4th, which worked but still unable to go down... and I continued up to 6th gear where my gearbox is now locked in... Unfortunately by trying to push too hard on the leaver, this leaver is now completely soft, apparently not connected to anything...

What do you think it could be? the shift return spring could be an option, but could I also have broken the forks?

Thanks for your help.

G.
gvanrenterghem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Donsy
Senior Member or Something

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy

I am not to sure about the spring recall being on the F4's, but I might be mistaken. I do remember it being a recall on the Brutale 1090's though. Your problem does sound like the spring return, not sure if your bike is still under warranty, I would return it to the dealer ASAP.

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
gvanrenterghem

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Hi Donsy, Thanks for your quick reply,

The bike is not under warranty anymore so I was wondering whether this would be classified as a recall (hence whether under warranty or not has no impact) or whether this would fall under warranty and therefore would not be covered in my case.

How many hours of labour do you reckon it would take to change the spring and even maybe the forks? It is just to get a rough idea and not to be told 5h by my mechanic if it took only two hours.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
firedancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanrenterghem View Post
Hi Donsy, Thanks for your quick reply,

The bike is not under warranty anymore so I was wondering whether this would be classified as a recall (hence whether under warranty or not has no impact) or whether this would fall under warranty and therefore would not be covered in my case.

How many hours of labour do you reckon it would take to change the spring and even maybe the forks? It is just to get a rough idea and not to be told 5h by my mechanic if it took only two hours.
i have no clue how fast a professional mechanics can do the job,
but for me it would be a full one day job. so no, it is not a 2 h job.
firedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
gvanrenterghem

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

It is a cassette gearbox as I understand it so thought it might be easier/quicker... but spoke to a garage and they said that assuming 4-5h would probably be a good assumption... ( and apparently this is not a recall, just a warranty claim, hence 100% in my face as not covered anymore...

Is this kind of things common? Shall I assume it is a one-off or this could happen again as it is a design fault? I just don't feel like fixing it with the same piece of junk if something more reliable (or reliable at all) exists...
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Donsy

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

No not very common, I can replace that in about 2hrs, but most shops mechanics dont work on these often. The replacement spring will the latest version, so it should be okay.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
gvanrenterghem

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Cool Donsy, thanks for that, hopefully they'll manage to only be 50% slower than you.

Amazing how much it can cost to change a US$2 spring... :-(

Last edited by gvanrenterghem : 12-10-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanrenterghem View Post
Cool Donsy, thanks for that, hopefully they'll manage to only be 50% slower than you.

Amazing how much it can cost to change a US$2 spring... :-(
Where are you located? I don't think that it's as simple as a return spring in your case. The return spring, as I understand, returns the shift lever to a neutral position thereby centering the shift mechanism so that it can perform the next function.

You either cannot move the shift lever to the return position...by foot or by spring...or the shift mechanism is going back to return, but not engaging with the ability to reduce gear. However, it can raise the gear.

This leads me to believe that it is a broken shift fork or broken shift dog.

The $2.00 US Spring you refer to requires at least an hour of disassembly once the bike is on a work stand and would not cause the issue you describe.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Donsy

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

I think it might be the spring Chuck, a bent fork won't affect all the gears will it? Either way, the shift drum has to come out, it's just to get to the spring is quicker and easy to do.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Well, I do believe the way the shift fork works is one side up shifts and the other down shifts. The spring just centers the mechanism.