Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
ericfreeman
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Default 2007 F4R Silver Paint Success!!

I wanted to post this separately from the other paint threads to make sure anyone interested will see it.

I've been on an epic journey to match the OEM silver paint on my red/silver F4 due to some heat damage on the belly fairing. The damage occurred shortly after I brought the bike home and the plug in the midpipe mysteriously disappeared one day. This left a nice hole pointing directly at the belly fairing, resulting in a big blister. I repaired the fairing and began the quest to find a matching silver paint.

I've always had good luck using Colorite for my vintage Hondas but their MV Silver is way off for the 2007. Perhaps it's closer to other years' silvers but it's definitely a darker silver than my fairing. I'll likely use the Colorite for other motorcycle projects so it's not a total $ loss.

Next, I searched all the threads and found a Dupont Chromabase silver number mentioned. Since I'm very familiar with Chromabase and already have all the necessary mixers, I went and bought a pint from the local paint supplier. Turns out the shade is closer to the OEM silver but has too much metalflake in it. Nice sparkly silver but not a good match for panels that will sit next to each other.

Tried to have the paint shop use their PPG scanner on the fairing to get a good color but the scans varied too much to be guaranteed a match. Found on one of the threads a PPG silver used on Ferraris that was used with success by a fellow in the UK, I believe. Bought a pint and finished the basecoat/clearcoat this afternoon.

SUCCESS!!! The PPG Deltron 2000 Basecoat (Code 36520) is really, really close to the OEM color. The actual color is: Argento Nurburgring Metallic and I don't think it's possible to get any closer in color/sparkle without having a panel colormatched by a custom paint shop. I clearcoated with my favorite Imron 500S and will wet sand/polish in a week or so.

Now, I can finally proceed with all the other winter maintenance projects I have for my MV.

ericfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
SCRINCH3R
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

Isn't it PPG 954643 same as the earlier 750s ?
Or is it not that simple?
SCRINCH3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
ericfreeman
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Unfortunately, some of the paint codes don't cross borders. I had the paint shop run all the numbers I could find, including original MV codes and nothing would come up other than the PPG code I used. Could be there are other shops out there with better computers that can use those codes but I'm in the sticks and have limited access.

Guess I'll be using my extra silver paints for various restoration projects on other bikes this year!!

Eric
ericfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote