MV Agusta Forum banner

First track day on F3

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Stephen W. 
#1 ·
Well, this is what I have to say... Second session of my first day on track, one week after owning the F3, and I knocked 5 seconds off my lap time compared to the 848.

Everything stock except:

Cut the passenger seat back 1" so that I can get my ass further back)
GP Shifting (so no quickshift anymore)
190 rear tire
Added 4.5 turns to the front pre-load, rebound is set at 1/4 turn out from full in. Compression is 3/4 out.
Rear rebound set at 1 3/4 out and compression at 1 1/2 out

Tell me this bike doesn't kick ass.

See less See more
#5 ·
exactly

#6 · (Edited)
Bodywork is stock...I just have white duct tape over the front light.

The 190 tire I really liked. A little faster into the turn, though I was concerned with tucking the front end - never happened - because of the effective shortened trail. The 190 Bridgestone slicks added 8mm to the rear diameter and 4mm to the front, so the effective change in geometry was 4mm lifted tail, and 1mm shortened trail. When I went back to 180 street tires I missed the more lively feel of the 190.

#13 · (Edited)
Maybe I’m not understanding but as I see it, it is not a case of push versus pull. The actuation arm on the spline shaft must rotate counter clockwise in order to engage the next higher gear. Therefore the quick shifter must be of a “pull” type design.

Stock set up as seen here on the F3 Kuma project bike.

Now this is how Febur set up the quick shifter for reverse pattern shifting.

This is how World Performance Motorsports did the same but without the quick shift or reverse patern. Notice the extra short actuation arm. This requires the rider to use a firm, deliberate stab as he up shifts. The payoff comes in the form of a very short throw.

Now if you were to combine the Febur rear set with quick shifter and the WPM short arm you’d have yourself one supper slick quick shifting F3. Me likes :yo:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.