# Paint - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Mindprobe

No MVs in the Registry

Default Paint

I have a 2007 F4 1000r 1+1, can anyone tell me where to get the silver and red paint?
Mindprobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
The_castle

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle

This link may help you and the paint codes will also be in the owners manual.

http://mvfaq.blogspot.co.nz/2005/11/paint-codes.html
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Red Baron

Where are you located?
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
esq'z me

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me

Contact Color Rite.......they are the industry supplier for motorcycle OEM paint. They have MV red and silver available. Touch up sticks, aerosol cans and pints for professional spray.
'08 910R, '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike, YSR50 restoration project, '71 CB100
esq'z me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #5
ericfreeman
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Forget the Colorite paint: I ordered the silver and it's not even a close match to my 2007 F4R silver. It's quite a bit darker silver. Shame I had to pay about $165 to find out!!

Also, forget the Chromabase color mentioned somewhere here. I spent another $100 at the local auto paint store and while the shade is closer than the Colorite paint, it has too much metal flake in it. Another bust.

However, I just got a pint of PPG silver (the one for the older Ferraris that was discussed) and so far it seems a much closer match. The shade is very close and it has a fine metallic that's a lot closer to the OEM paint. I'll be spraying my belly fairing tomorrow so can give a definitive answer at that time.

Eric
ericfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
lee

No MVs in the Registry

I always take a sample panel to my paint guy and he mixes it to match. Can't tell the difference. You can get it in either single step catalyzed urethane or base/clear coat.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
esq'z me

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me

So true Lee....most really good auto paint shops have the ability to make paint that matches an existing panel.

When I had some repairs done on Gina several years back I asked the paint guy if he wanted the color codes. His answer was "we don't need those, we make our own paint." The pearl white he made was perfect.
'08 910R, '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike, YSR50 restoration project, '71 CB100
esq'z me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

In 6 years methinks the original paint is going to fade. A lot. I just received a NOS mid fairing and marked 2005 (my model year) and it is way off from my bellypan fairing. I'd say taking the panel and getting it color matched would be the way to go. And for the diy shooter, here you go.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
ericfreeman
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

I took my 2007 F4R belly fairing to the auto paint shop to see if they could use their scanner to get the corrrect color. From what I could tell, their PPG tool takes scans from at least 5 spots and averages them for the mix. The final value is rated on a 0-30 point scale, with 0 being a perfect match and 30 being not so good.

My mint fairing came in at an 11 which the paint guy said is a gamble for panels that sit adjacent to one another.

Unfortunately, my paint shop doesn't do color matching so I'd have to go to a custom shop and hope for the best.
ericfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
rchase
Banned

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
So true Lee....most really good auto paint shops have the ability to make paint that matches an existing panel.

When I had some repairs done on Gina several years back I asked the paint guy if he wanted the color codes. His answer was "we don't need those, we make our own paint." The pearl white he made was perfect.
I had a similar experience for a rear fender on my Harley that was smashed when someone rear ended me. The Harley dealer advised against ordering a pre-painted fender based on the paint code because of the possibility of sun fade and color shift due to wear. They ordered an unpainted fender and farmed the work out to a painter that color matched the part to the bike. It's an absolutely perfect match.

People really underestimate the power of wear and the sun for color fade. I tried to buy a tan interior part for one of my cars from the factory and when it arrived I ended up having to toss it out because it did not match at all. It was the same color code minus several years of fading and wear. A used part matched much better.

Last edited by rchase : 12-06-2012 at 06:25 PM.
rchase is offline   Reply With Quote