Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > General > General Talk
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
HouseOrdos

No MVs in the Registry

Default Don't LOVE my F4 yet. Why?

Hi all- brand new poster here.

I've owned my 2010 MV F4 1000R for almost exactly one year. I followed the break-in period fairly closely thusfar and have really gone by-the-book for this bike. (It's my first ever BRAND NEW bike).

My previous bikes were all the same make and model. I've had 4 Suzuki TL1000S (97, 97, 97, 99) and I've absolutely loved the low-end grunt on those bikes; however, I consider myself a grown up now and could afford my "dream bike" so I pulled the trigger on the F4.

Now I am a relatively big guy at 6'2" 250lbs and I lift/workout often, I wonder if I am just too big for this bike? There really isn't a whole lot that blows my hair back about the F4 so far besides the way it looks (wish it still had the round pipes in back) so I LIKE the bike, but don't LOVE the bike yet.

One other wierd thing- anyone else ever get the "stumbles" or a "pause" in acceleration in 3rd gear around 6500 RPM? I don't get it? It will take a full second before the power comes on, almost like I hit a rev limiter or something? It's irritating.

One last thought, maybe the issue is the altitude? I've been riding at between 5300-10000 ft above sea level. Is there a noticable drop in power at this altitude?

PS- I've owned two Ferraris and now have a twin turbo Mercedes that goes 0-60 in less than 4.6 seconds. All kinda "feel" faster than the MV. What gives?

Thanks for the help!
HouseOrdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Randarosa
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseOrdos View Post
....... It's irritating........ What gives?

Thanks for the help!
Easy answer.......you must be heterosexual.

You're welcome.......

(welcome to the forum.......just a little ongoing joke between the Brutie riders and the F4 riders)
910R, S4RS,'78 BMW R100S, '72 Honda CB350f Cafe Racer, '70 CB175 Cafe Racer, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, '34 HD VFD sidecar ("Betty Jean"....after my dearly departed mother), Kawasaki Concours 1400, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, Lee Halverson's fantastic "Green Monster", and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
rchase
Banned

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:

I've owned my 2010 MV F4 1000R for almost exactly one year. I followed the break-in period fairly closely thusfar and have really gone by-the-book for this bike. (It's my first ever BRAND NEW bike).

My previous bikes were all the same make and model. I've had 4 Suzuki TL1000S (97, 97, 97, 99) and I've absolutely loved the low-end grunt on those bikes; however, I consider myself a grown up now and could afford my "dream bike" so I pulled the trigger on the F4.

Now I am a relatively big guy at 6'2" 250lbs and I lift/workout often, I wonder if I am just too big for this bike? There really isn't a whole lot that blows my hair back about the F4 so far besides the way it looks (wish it still had the round pipes in back) so I LIKE the bike, but don't LOVE the bike yet.

One other wierd thing- anyone else ever get the "stumbles" or a "pause" in acceleration in 3rd gear around 6500 RPM? I don't get it? It will take a full second before the power comes on, almost like I hit a rev limiter or something? It's irritating.

One last thought, maybe the issue is the altitude? I've been riding at between 5300-10000 ft above sea level. Is there a noticable drop in power at this altitude?

PS- I've owned two Ferraris and now have a twin turbo Mercedes that goes 0-60 in less than 4.6 seconds. All kinda "feel" faster than the MV. What gives?

Thanks for the help!
I had a similar issue with my 2002 F4. When I first bought it I rode it home and it was an absolute terror to ride. I wrote it off as being nervous on a bike I just bought. The problem is it continued and while I enjoyed the sights and the sounds I just did not enjoy the way the bike 100% even after I thought I had adapted to it.

The problem was actually with me rather than the bike. The F4's riding position is pretty aggressive even for a sport bike. Body position is pretty critical for comfort and control. Finding that perfect position takes a bit of work. I had a huge fear of dropping the bike because my F4 does not seem as stable as other sport bikes I have ridden at low speeds. It seems quite "tippy" and unsettled until you get up to at least 25 mph. I also was concerned with thrashing the bike and causing service issues with it so I was very conservative with my riding style which was a huge mistake. My F4 absolutely loves the abuse. Rev match downshifts and riding like you stole it make it VERY happy. It stays cooler too for some reason too. The worst problem by far was my expectations. I expected this bike to be completely awesome on day one with absolutely no adjustments needed on my end. It was supposed to shift space and time to make the corners melt under my tires. I was wrong. It's just a motorcycle. One that takes some effort to learn it's quirks and was not really designed with street riding in mind to boot.

Your machine is a lot newer than mine and I know there's a lot of issues with the fueling on the late models. There are plenty of threads on here that deal with that if you do some searching. A search might serve your needs quite well.

The F4 is a great bike once you learn it's quirks. Mine's absolutely mind blowing to ride fast and on top of the great handling the soundtrack is pretty epic as well.

Last edited by rchase : 11-30-2012 at 12:19 AM.
rchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
samizx7

No MVs in the Registry

take it to a dealership that would tune it, maybe a pipe and chip would fix your fueling problem
samizx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
JAndrewG
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Easy answer.......you must be heterosexual.

You're welcome.......

(welcome to the forum.......just a little ongoing joke between the Brutie riders and the F4 riders)
Classic post! I'm really starting to like it around here!

John
JAndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
ACT MV
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

its you, not the bike :bike

seriously this thread is really sad, i would be gutted if i had that response to my MV.... before i decided to buy the MV I was dead keen on getting a ducati, it was on my bucket list. After riding an MV and a duc on the same day it was no contest, the MV left me grinning like an idiot and i couldn't get off the duc fast enough .....I can't really explain why on either count and I don't really care

I hate to say it but maybe bought the wrong bike for you
ACT MV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
mitchy
The Hub Man

Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Firstly welcome to the forum,you need to take the bike back to the dealer to sort your problem,because I have never heard of a dip in power at 6,500rpm.The bikes ECU should adjust air/fuel ratio to the altitude.A mate of mine who is 6'4 and is 140kg rides my bike occasionally and always says to me WOW!Normally,when you really open the throttle on these bikes your eyeballs try to pop out the back of your head lol

Work.Email & Paypal.
tweedcitytruck@onestream.com.au
Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Donsy
Senior Member and Moderator.

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy
Default Welcome to the forum mate

I bet you are more than confused round about now.
Well, lots of different experiance from different folks. The bike you have is commonly called the MY 2010 F4 1000 - some call it the F4 1000R, but technically the R only came along later with the short stroke motor. Either way, there has been various issue's with the MY10 bikes, with fueling been the main culprit. And there is no chip to swa[ out on either one.

If it was mine, I would get rid of the exhaust, new headers and a de-cat mid pipe to get rid of the Cat and the powervalve at, least disconnect the powervalve and you will see the flatspot dissapear.

As for the tailpipes, I would hold off on the Bodis as they are busy sorting issue's with the pipes melting the paint on the tailfairings on the Y10+ bikes.
For pure looks, and if I had the money, I would stick a set of Moto Corse Ti tailpipes on the back, best looking pipes around, as per picture by forum member.

Then you will need a Race ECU, and a Powercommander and someone with a Dyno to set it all up for you, or, if you had the money, and if it was my bike, install a Microtec ECU.

Next would be a pair of adjustable rearset's and that should have you smiling, and your bank manager in the hospital.

Hope that helps a bit. Sometimes you need to just ride it a bit more, and a bit harder .
Attached Images

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:

hey, they supercharge airplanes to maintain performance at altitude....

wow a twin turbo Nazi box at ~4.6 0-60, how about a 910S MV
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?p=259558

at 2.94

Time[note] Make and model Year
(model) Verified time
(sec)[note] Manufacturer time
(sec)[note] Notes
2.5 Yamaha VMAX 2010 2.5 [1] 0-60 mph
2.70 BMW S1000RR 2011 2.70 [2] 0-60 mph
2.74 Suzuki Hayabusa 2010 2.74 [3] 0-60 mph
2.93 Ducati Diavel 2011 2.93 [4] 2.6 [5] 0-60 mph
3.3 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 2010 3.3 [1] 0-60 mph

4.6 feels fast and a 910S at 2.94 feels slow

you're smoking some weird stuff

4.6.........really?

http://www.zeroto60times.com/Fastest-Cars-0-60-mph.html

you think John Lingenfelter's '02 Corvette @1.97 makes your turdbo look slooooooow
you think 2.63 seconds faster isn't a big deal? try matching it

1st thing you'll need is a new transmission
and then about twice the HP

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Donsy
Senior Member and Moderator.

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
hey, they supercharge airplanes to maintain performance at altitude....
Ohh my, you are on the roll Noel, take it easy on the new guy man..

I just remembered what I forgot to do at BB4, I was going poke you in the head with a stick .

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote