Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
F4-1NXS
Banned

No MVs in the Registry

Question F4 1000s Critical speed

Has anyone with a F4 1000s came across a specific "critical speed" for this model? I have but I am curious to see if other F4 1000s owners have the same matching critical speed?

has anyone else with a different model found a specific critical speed for your model of bike?

F4-1NXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
simcity

MV in the Registry:
[F4 MY2010+]

Is this the speed at which the front wheel begins to lift or the speed at which the whole bike gets airborne?

Sorry couldn't resist :-)
simcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
MV BOY

312 km/hr

What do you mean exactly by 'critical'?

I find my critical speed is dictated by the speed vs revs in the selected gear, otherwise I assume you must be referring to max speed?

Last edited by MV BOY : 11-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
MV BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
F4-1NXS
Banned

No MVs in the Registry

I am refering to the rpm where a machine's resonance frequencies will cause vibration to the point of self destruction. Within all industry it is important to run up a machine through its critical speed as quickly as possible, whether it be a pump, compressor, turbine or other mechanical device.

Due to adverse road conditions the other day I spent a lot of time around 3500 - 4000rpm at some point between these rpm the vibration was excessive and after a 200 mile ride I found various bolts had worked themselves loose, one side stand bolt fully fell out, the other was half way out and various other bolts had loosened.
A lot of work & time offshore is spent on condition monitoring and vibration analysis to prevent this on all rotating equipment, I am just wondering if anyone has noticed higher vibration at specific revs

some are aware of critical speeds, others are not, ideally when a critical speed is established it should be avoided.

Last edited by F4-1NXS : 11-19-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Ryan Stewart

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart

I've never heard of a "critical speed" used in that context. Nor have I gone on a long cruise and found stuff falling off of my bike. Are you sure you aren't talking to the Harley owners? Maybe Carl can enlighten us as to what RPM a Harley starts to fall apart.

Beyond that, RPM wise, vibration issues would be the result of a poorly balanced engine.
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

F4 has it right, critical speeds exist where harmonics and tolerances combine to exponentially increase vibrations. Big commercial turbines have at least three critical speeds though which you pass quickly during turbine roll and start up to synchronous speed.

I'd say that you have discovered the "critical speed" for your F4...3500-4000 rpm.

It will be close to others, but it will be machine specific.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
adecritten

No MVs in the Registry

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4-1NXS View Post
I am refering to the rpm where a machine's resonance frequencies will cause vibration to the point of self destruction. Within all industry it is important to run up a machine through its critical speed as quickly as possible, whether it be a pump, compressor, turbine or other mechanical device.

Due to adverse road conditions the other day I spent a lot of time around 3500 - 4000rpm at some point between these rpm the vibration was excessive and after a 200 mile ride I found various bolts had worked themselves loose, one side stand bolt fully fell out, the other was half way out and various other bolts had loosened.
A lot of work & time offshore is spent on condition monitoring and vibration analysis to prevent this on all rotating equipment, I am just wondering if anyone has noticed higher vibration at specific revs

some are aware of critical speeds, others are not, ideally when a critical speed is established it should be avoided.

I've owned and rode a 1000s for years Roy and never had any of that happen to mine.

adecritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
MV BOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
I've owned and rode a 1000s for years Roy and never had any of that happen to mine.

I check all my nuts and bolts every so often and usually find that my aftermarket carbon additions need tightening but not much and that's only due to not using a thread lock.

My bike certainly isn't critical between this rev range and if anything vibration is more obvious around 6000 - 7000and my hands and fingers are the first sign of that lol
MV BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
LiquidWhy

Argh, you beat me to the Harley comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
I've never heard of a "critical speed" used in that context. Nor have I gone on a long cruise and found stuff falling off of my bike. Are you sure you aren't talking to the Harley owners? Maybe Carl can enlighten us as to what RPM a Harley starts to fall apart.

Beyond that, RPM wise, vibration issues would be the result of a poorly balanced engine.
LiquidWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
F4-1NXS
Banned

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post

ade, I also have been riding F4's for 9 years but I have never sat between 3500 / 4000rpm for a considerable duration of time such as I did last week, normally on the EV03 I prefered to sit around 7000 - 8000rpm+, on the 312R and the 1000s I also prefer high up in the rev band, but as I previously mentioned due to appauling road conditions I was stuck at the lower mentioned revs for some considerable time, this is where I believe I have found the problem on my machine and the only explanation I can give is critical speed as its a thing I have dealt with often in the past whilst working with vibration analysis.
Riding through a critical speed is not a problem and should be encouraged, but to sit on a rpm similar to natural frequency is a problem.

Critical speed is a phenomenon, the same as compressor surge is, but both have wrecked machines time and time again.

This will be a one off for me, as I am aware of it now, up to yourselves if you want to take note on this or not.

Last edited by F4-1NXS : 11-20-2012 at 04:15 AM.