Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
DarenB68
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default What did you buy or sell your F4 for?

On the back of my previous thread, I thought it might be helpful for me and any other potential buyers to get an idea of the market out there for the 05 - 06 base models. I have been told that $9k+ is too much for an F4 with 6k+ miles by some folks, so would love an idea of whats been happening this year with sellers and buyers alike.
Would be great if any members buying or selling this year could reply with year, mileage and sale/buy price

Cheers
DarenB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Randarosa
Big Randaddy

Good idea.....
910R, S4RS,'78 BMW R100S, '72 Honda CB350f Cafe Racer, '70 CB175 Cafe Racer, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, '34 HD VFD sidecar ("Betty Jean"....after my dearly departed mother), Kawasaki Concours 1400, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, Lee Halverson's fantastic "Green Monster", and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarenB68 View Post
On the back of my previous thread, I thought it might be helpful for me and any other potential buyers to get an idea of the market out there for the 05 - 06 base models. I have been told that $9k+ is too much for an F4 with 6k+ miles by some folks, so would love an idea of whats been happening this year with sellers and buyers alike.
Would be great if any members buying or selling this year could reply with year, mileage and sale/buy price

Cheers
Sell my F4 for???????????????

Oh, he's new I see now, so "welcome to the forum DarenB68"
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
esq'z me

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me

I paid full boat for my 910R (Randy just thinks he got a deal....well, he did, on the Ti exhaust anyway).....I paid about $7 K for my SPR F4 750 track bike, all said and done....but have spent plenty afterwards on both of them....

Selling price???? Never. Not even a consideration. Why would I want to???
'08 910R, '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike, YSR50 restoration project, '71 CB100
esq'z me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
JAndrewG
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Daren,

I chimed in on your earlier thread, and read the comments it received to this morning.

Early this year I had an insurance check for getting rearended on my Aprilia, and found an ad on CL in Portland for a couple of MVs. One was an '05 Ago with IIRC about 16k miles and several mods including BST wheels, for an asking price of $11,000. The other was a standard '05 F4 1000 S with 339 miles, rock stock, and an asking price of $9950. My brother and I drove down to look at both.

The two bikes perfectly illustrated how one bike can bring more than it's normal value, while another much less.

The guy with the Ago was very nice to talk to, and he'd ridden the bike a lot. It ran perfectly, but as it sat on the stand idling I looked at it closely. At first blush it was scruffy, and worse as I looked at the individual details. The OEM rotors were actually coated in rust, there were heavy scratches in the tail, bare wires hanging from the rear where he had removed aftermarket lighting and put the stock pieces back in place. It was rough. It did sell some months later. It was mid February when I looked at it.

The other bike, the 339 mile one, was just the opposite. It was in absolutely new condition, shiny, original tires with only 3" of the tread having touched pavement. When I put the key in the lock on the side and lifted the tail, the youngish owner said "Wow! I didn't know the tail lifted like that!".

But it wouldn't start! He must have realized the battery was low and had it on a tender, but even so, when I turned the key on and hit the start button, it sadly cranked a couple of times and stopped.

And so there you go. You asked earlier if 7,000 miles was a lot on a seven (now eight) year old bike. No, of course it isn't. But at the same time it is fairly easy to find any bike with very low miles, especially an Italian bike with 'poser' status, because guys buy them and ride them a bit before parking them for months or years after.

There was also, just a few weeks earler, an '07 F4 1000 R down your way in CL. I talked to the seller. It was well sorted and tuned, nicely cared for and had just under 10,000 miles, for $9500. I thought the price was very fair and would have looked at it too, but it sold just before we made the four hour trip down from the Seattle area.

If you look at the pictures of the bike you're looking at, while it's nice, it's not super clean. The photos aren't great, and it probably could be made much cleaner with little work. As CAG (whom I totally respect here) suggests, in most markets it's probably an $8,000 bike.

Just within the last couple of weeks yet another silver/red '05 F4 sold on eBay for... are you ready for this? $14,600. It had 1100 miles and was also bone stock. Why so much? It sort of blew me away too, but look at the pictures. It is in super condition, some argue the first year for the F4 1000 is the most collectable and truest to Tamburini's design, and it's in the classic color livery. Still, I don't think the bike was worth anywhere near that, but obviously someone did. Several someones, as the bidding was pretty heavy. Though it will only be good for a few months, here's a link-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...orcev4exp=true

It's trite, but a bike is worth what you're willing to pay. The one I bought flipped my switch because it was as near new as I was going to find in that model, I'd lusted for that model for some time, and the price point was just what I could afford to pay.

Sorry for the novel, but having just gone through this I thought it might be helpful...

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by JAndrewG : 11-16-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link
JAndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Randarosa
Big Randaddy

Good post.
910R, S4RS,'78 BMW R100S, '72 Honda CB350f Cafe Racer, '70 CB175 Cafe Racer, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, '34 HD VFD sidecar ("Betty Jean"....after my dearly departed mother), Kawasaki Concours 1400, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, Lee Halverson's fantastic "Green Monster", and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
SportBikeMike

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Glad to see a bike go to closer for what its worth like the one that got $14,600. Alot better than the ones which are given away, driving down resale values. I would never sell mine, but if I did, I'd take no less than $11K.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
DarenB68
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Thats an awesome post J, and gives me great insite. I recently purchased an 03 Ducati 999s from the Seattle area with 6500 miles. It was the perfect buy because it had the right mileage in my opinion and had just been serviced. I paid $7500. I believe the 999s was about the same MSRP as the F4. Most similar mileage 999s that Ive seen, go a bit higher. It is mint with CF accessories and a 2 year transferable warranty.
Where Im going with this, is that I expected to pay more for an 05 F4; $9 - $10k basically, so hearing that anybody is getting one for $7k-$8k in the condition I would expect, blows me away.
DarenB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
yossarian

No MVs in the Registry

All,

I will throw my lot in here. I paid 9500 to buy it locally and from a dealer. It is an 07 with what was 7200 miles on it. I looked over everything and it was clean, a few scratches that most likely came from not paying attention to taking the fairings off and two tiny bumps in the rear tail because the original owner over screwed the integrated tail lights (the only modification). I knew I would make my own mods to the bike and wanted it stock so I could have my own fun. I also happened to be taking a break from work and wanted to ride a lot... Stupid me went back to work to fast, but I still got some good riding in.

Did I pay too much, yes/no it does not matter. It was within reason and for what I wanted; local, stock, and at least ridden, it fit the bill when there were very few others out there. I could have used E-bay but then I have extra costs and hassles.

I have enjoyed putting on new fan blades (twice because I suck mechanically), flushing the radiator, checking the throttle bodies, adding a new water pump and replacing the pipes with Arrow. All fun.

Getting the best deal is not always as important as getting a good experience. Originally the dealer wanted 11k for the bike, but it was not hard to get it down without having it be a negotiation. I love the bike, have no interest in selling it and will enjoy it for a long time, although it will not be my only bike.

My own thoughts, worry less about price (someone mentioned 42% of MSRP) and enjoy the ride. The 500$ you save is spent in time and annoyance to get that best deal.
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Ryan Stewart

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart

I bought my 2002 750 with 352 miles on the clock for $6500 delivered.
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote