Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
claudiop
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[Brutale 910]

Default 910S 2006 twitchy throttle

Hi
I'm a newbie to forum only recently having bought a s/h 2006 Brutale 910S. It has 16,000km on the odo and no service/log books. Great condition and runs pretty well. Having the major 12,000km service done (so that I can have peace of mind) by dealer in Adelaide.

Only had the bike a week and find that the low end throttle range is very twitch with barely any movement. Also getting some spluttering between 1,800-3000RPM. Asked dealer if this could be dynotuned out to give me smoother acceleration/more throttle movement in low end but told that the bike's fuel/air mixture is perfect and that's how MV Agusta are normally.

A bit of searching on the net and I discovered ECU and Power Commander modules when coupled with header/collector/silencer and high perf air filters give smoother gradations throughtout range (which is what I'm after) and more HP at top end.

Just bought a MV Agusta Corse Brutale 910 EPROM chip to go with slip ons and collector. Supposed to plug and play substitute stock ECU and wondering if it'll go OK with stock MV exhaust to give smoother lower RPM throttle gradations?

Most of my driving is going to be weekend warrior stuff up to 110km/h with occasional squirts

any advice much appreciated, cheers newbie
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
eddypro

Hi Buddy welcome,mate you will have to buy a pc3 and get it on a dyno and get someone who knows what he is doing.
cheers eddy
other members will have other options.
eddypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
rsawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiop View Post

Just bought a MV Agusta Corse Brutale 910 EPROM chip to go with slip ons and collector. Supposed to plug and play substitute stock ECU and wondering if it'll go OK with stock MV exhaust to give smoother lower RPM throttle gradations?
I doubt it will make any difference to the low end smoothness.

As mentioned a PC and full dyno map is the best way to go, I tried various chips and still ended up with a power commander and eventually a full dyno tune, should have just done it all to start with...

Get rid of the cat convertor, add PC III, they should be able to load a standard map to match at the same time. If that still isn't good enough get the full dyno tune.
rsawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #4
AinsleyHenderson
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AinsleyHenderson

Disconnect the external throttle return spring on the outside of the throttle bodies on the left side of the bike. It is did wonders for mine
2010 BMW S1000RR
2009 BMW R1200 RT SE
2003 Ducati 999s (sold)
AinsleyHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
claudiop
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[Brutale 910]

hi guys, thanks for the welcome and tips. Had major service and dynoed and made big difference. The spluttering in the 2-3k RPM range is gone and the chart shows flat/'perfect' A/F plot of nearly 15:1 over the power/speed range. The throttle is still a bit twichy and will look at removing throttle return spring and/or will have to improve my technique. Asked the tech about EPU unfortunately he didn't have any experience with them and didn't think I'd get any further improvements. They do install PC but again, didn't think I'd get any better fuel economy or smoother power down low

Took the bike for a brisk 200km run down Fleurieu Peninsula over weekend and found big improvement. Running 98octane got 197km for 15L of fuel
Old 11-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
eddypro

did they install the pc3 or not ,and did you have it actually dyno tuned, to perfection .

I am getting around 230km before yellow warning light.and zero snatchy throttle.

cheers eddy
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
TokyoLunch
The Dude

230? wow. I have never seen 200 before the yellow light!

I got a similar chip when I had the cat removed, subsequently got a PCIII more for some stalling annoyances. Never did the full dynotune run, pretty happy with how it is with a default PCIII setting. I still find it a bit snatchy but totally workable, and way better than what it was.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
SBK Japan
TokyoLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #8
eddypro

yes, better but it could be just perfect,?.get the bike on a dyno.
cheers eddy
other opinions welcomed always.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
TokyoLunch
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
yes, better but it could be just perfect,?.get the bike on a dyno.
cheers eddy
other opinions welcomed always.

yup, can't argue with you there. just need time and money.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
SBK Japan
TokyoLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
claudiop
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[Brutale 910]

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
did they install the pc3 or not ,and did you have it actually dyno tuned, to perfection .
No, they didn't install the pc3. The dynotune I had was the cheapy $55 job; the full would have been about $150 but tech didn't think it was necessary because A/F plot was already 'perfect'

btw, what type and octane fuel are u using? My manual says 95 or higher RON. I was initially using E10 94 octane but after the dyno changed to Unleaded 98. After reading the thread on fuel economy http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43239 and especially the stuff on higher octane fuels leaving carbon residue, I'm gonna go back to E10 94 and try it again post the dyno. There were comments that Ethanol fuel is 'shit' or vague references to it not being as clean or something but I'd like some hard facts before I'm dissuaded. It's also considerably cheaper compared to 98 in South Australia

any ideas welcome, thnx