# Misfire - EBS Relay? - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
obijohnkenobe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default Misfire - EBS Relay?

My 2005 F4S has started missing (spitting) on 1 cylinder. Reading through some threads on this, it sounds like the EBS relay is often suspect (it gets too hot located where it is and malfunctions). My bike runs like this from start - i.e when cold, not hot so could this still be the EBS relay? Problem (and question) is, can I test the relay or is it just prudent to replace it anyway. I haven't started looking elsewhere yet as if its likely to be the EBS relay, its easy to get at and replace. Any help welcome!

John
obijohnkenobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
george4337
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

I would have thought the fuel injector would be prime suspect here?

Pretty easy to test, clean/replace if necessary. I don't know the relavent cost of EBS relay Vs injector, but why replace something that doesn't need replacing

Other things that could be causing your problems include bad spark plug & bad HT lead, both of these should also be checked.

Good luck with sorting your problem.

George
george4337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

According to popular notion, you'll eventually need a spare EBS relay, so might as well buy one and test. Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG

It is possible that that your ebs relay is cooked. A new relay is around $110. If it turns out it is not your problem, it will be eventually so go ahead and buy one.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
obijohnkenobe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Thanks for your help guys. Much appreciated. I realise that my post said it misses when cold not hot - I was meaning that it doesn't need to get hot before miss-firing, it does it straight from cold. Apart from a quick blast down the road to see if it cleared the problem (which it didn't) I haven't even got it hot. I am not keen on riding it with 3 pots only. Having pulled off the fairing, I see a leaking cam cover that has put oil over the EBS and the wiring there, which I will assume could also have blown some oil back over the plugs and leads as well!! The EBS connector block is dry inside as it has a small "oil seal" in it, I hope to protect against water not because MV expected oil to leak all over it!! (I have had a few old british bikes that could have done with some oil seals on the electrics)!! Anyway, I digress - it looks like I need to strip off of the tank which is, due to sods law, full to the brim and see what's going on under there. Even if its something else I may well buy a replacement EBS as well as moving it out the way of all the heat.

Cheers again.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
X81
Site Sponsor

No MVs in the Registry

The EBS valve operates on Cyl 2 not 1 so i'd look at either the injector or plug cap/HT lead as the culprit.
X81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
obijohnkenobe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Ha! Actually I meant she is misfiring on one of the cylinders, not cylinder no. 1. BUT, as it happens I checked to see which one it is and it IS No.1 anyway, so the EBS relay is probably not the cause. Anyway, stripped stuff off and there is a lot of red liquid around the bottom of the airfilter - in fact the heat strip is covered in it and so is the intake on that side! The only thing I can think of is that its oil from the air filter irself - been over-oiled and is causing that mess?? Doesn't seem likely but what else? Anyway the seal around the velocity stack on no. cylinder is covered in "oil" so wasn't sealing at all which could be the problem. Is that likely? Anyway, checked the plug lead on No. 1 and that gets a spark so I'll get myself a plug spanner and make sure the plug is OK. May as well change the plugs while I'm there... and get a decent air filter as well.... and I'm going to ask in the wanted/for sale section if anyone has a PC3 for an 05 S (I'll get her firing on all 4 before messing around with a PC3 though).
Old 11-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Donsy
Senior Member or something.

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohnkenobe View Post
Ha! Actually I meant she is misfiring on one of the cylinders, not cylinder no. 1. BUT, as it happens I checked to see which one it is and it IS No.1 anyway, so the EBS relay is probably not the cause. Anyway, stripped stuff off and there is a lot of red liquid around the bottom of the airfilter - in fact the heat strip is covered in it and so is the intake on that side! The only thing I can think of is that its oil from the air filter irself - been over-oiled and is causing that mess?? Doesn't seem likely but what else? Anyway the seal around the velocity stack on no. cylinder is covered in "oil" so wasn't sealing at all which could be the problem. Is that likely? Anyway, checked the plug lead on No. 1 and that gets a spark so I'll get myself a plug spanner and make sure the plug is OK. May as well change the plugs while I'm there... and get a decent air filter as well.... and I'm going to ask in the wanted/for sale section if anyone has a PC3 for an 05 S (I'll get her firing on all 4 before messing around with a PC3 though).
Unlikely that the filter oil would cause your problem John, I would go spark plug or injector. The injectors are easy to swap around so give that a shot too if your problem carries on.
Be real CAREFULL unplugging the injectors, hold both ends of the plug/connection or you will pull the connection right off the injector, and that's expensive.
Before you install a PC 3, make sure you can take your bike to get in Dyno tuned to set it up.

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
obijohnkenobe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Thanks Donsy, good advice as always. I'll have a go after Australia have thrashed England in the rugby today!!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
obijohnkenobe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default Removing Injector Connectors

Can someone give me some guidance on how to best disconnect the fuel injector electrical connector plugs on each injector body? They seem to be buried under the injector rail and a real pain to even get at. Do I need to remove the thin metal clip (which looks likely to ping off across the garage!), and although I can't see them, there must be 2 per connector?

Thanks

John