Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default trouble?

Just noticed the side cover loose and with a little tug, it came right out. The previous owner did the rivnut mod and I messaged him but would any of you know if there is supposed to be something behind this that might have fell into the intake? Thanks,
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  423.9 KB
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Nicolino

No MVs in the Registry

What ever you do,do not open the throttle until you remove the air box and see if anything is there. If you did allready and something fell in you are looking at engine rebuilt job !!! That's a worst case scenario.

Last edited by Nicolino : 11-09-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Nicolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

About 2 minutes after riding away I heard what sounded like a small rock hitting something but I thought it was debris bouncing up into the bike. Bike is with me at work now and I've ridden it about 5 miles since last night. I am hoping for the best.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Nicolino

No MVs in the Registry

Wow - No good. Do not ride it !!! Do not start the engine. Do a search here on the forum , There are a few threads about this issue. You may have bent valve and or something even worst . In any case you will have to open up the engine. ( Ask Noel - the knurl , I'm sure he can give you further advice) I'm assuming it is the rear rivet that broke , one close to air intakes. If it is the front one it should be in the air box filter compartment and you should be able to fish it out. Air Filter will prevent it from falling it into the air intake. If in fact it is the rear one , it's bad !!!

Last edited by Nicolino : 11-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Nicolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
haupti

I would say no, there is likely nothing what could have been dropped inside. But this all looks odd to me. Is the yellowish piece in between Your thumb and the fingers the epoxy ? It looks like the rivet nut is still at the bolt. So than You have every thing in Your hands I assume. In my honest opinion this rivet nuts should be installed with the proper plier. But than again the side cover got likely quite a bang at Your crash to rip t the epoxy out.
haupti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Is there something missing in this picture?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
haupti

I don't think so. Max a shaved / broken off tiny piece of the epoxy. And this is might harmless.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
guarda

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

The "yellow" (really black) does seem like epoxy. Here's a better (still not so great). I'm praying it was only a small piece of epoxy that fell in there and maybe melted into an inconspicuous crevice of the engine. Bike was at about 210 F at the time. I'm reading the well nut disaster threads now but I'm thinking by now (about 7 miles and 10k rpms later) I won't find much by taking the airbox off. What do you guys think?

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  460.3 KB
Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Guarda, the rivnut is intact. If the guy used epoxy to put the rivnut in place, which it seems, then there is nothing that would damage your engine in the airbox. I would still remove the airbox and clean out anything that might be in there...simply because I would!
Im not in great physical shape anymore, he says, but nowadays I feel more normal on the bike than I do even walking up stairs. Its amazing we can get such power by just twisting your right hand, and as long as you can do that, as long as you can still get that thrill, youre living.
Michael Czysz
silentservice703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
haupti

I think that the previous owner put a gulp of epoxy around the rivet nut and pushed it from the outside into the hole of the air box. By doing so he shaved the epoxy around the rivet nut to the exact diameter of the hole and smushed the rest outside around the hole and between the collar of the rivet nut and the air box wall. Basically was the rivet nut so only glued to the outside, where it seam to have not bonded and so the rivet nut was never secure in the first place. If this makes sense to You than You can ride home, go to bed and have a sweet relaxed sleep. As I will do now.