# Grease, thread locker, sealants,.... - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
haupti

Default Grease, thread locker, sealants,....

I have a question on what do You "do it yourself" maintenance or even more professional wrench heads use to service Your MV Agusta F4 or Brutale in the USA.
Me being a mechanic on gas turbines and servicing / installing them all around the globe I'm used to quite a lot of greases, fluids, sealants but they are mostly pretty specific and I don't know if this is than the best for motorcycles.
further some of the stuff in the Chassis manual is hardly to find in the USA or like at Mc Master only available in never in entire life consumable amounts.
I had no chances in the last decade to do much on my F4 and had still stuff as WD40, greases and things from the time where I still lived in Germany. With the last moving from PA to TN everything got lost, including tools and everything what remotely looked like flammable. Well women take care of other things than our garage items.
So what do You guys use compared to the chassis manual stuff in the USA and where do You source it from?
Loctite 542
Loctite 243
Loctite 242 (I have this already)
Loctite 270 (have this too)
Molykote (which 1000 or P37 or do they mean something completely different, is this good as a never seize on Ti stuff and exotic material mixes as well)
Molykote BR2 Plus
AGIP Grease 30
AGIP GR SM
Silicone Grease
Aluminium Tape (for the air box, which thickness, width)
I really appreciate Your input and might some other do it yourself beginners will be glad for this informations as well.
haupti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
mitchy
The Hub Man

Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy

Have you looked at the MV service manual,it recommends all the greases/thread locks in each section that you need to use.

Work.Email & Paypal.
tweedcitytruck@onestream.com.au
Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Nicolino

No MVs in the Registry

Aluminium tape at Home Depot stores( AC department ) auto parts stores sell loctite , molykote or Permatex anti-seize lubricant , As for different AGIP lubricant you can order from APRILIA AF-1 forum online . They offer several AGIP products.
Nicolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
haupti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Have you looked at the MV service manual,it recommends all the greases/thread locks in each section that you need to use.
Guess where my list is from Mitchy. Yes I browsed trough the chassis service manual and collected everything in there to put it on my purchase list.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
haupti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolino View Post
Aluminium tape at Home Depot stores( AC department ) auto parts stores sell loctite , molykote or Permatex anti-seize lubricant , As for different AGIP lubricant you can order from APRILIA AF-1 forum online . They offer several AGIP products.
Nicolino, thanks for the input. But I hate the idea of coming home any when in February, begging my wife to drive me to places (I don't have a car yet) and to find out that they don't have the stuff I'm searching.
I'm used to learn on manufacturers home pages that certain outlets have their products but than they don't have it in their stores. Dupont dry chain lube should be available at Walmart. I drove 50 miles to the next Walmart and guess what, I ordered it over amazon.
Loctite has more than 1000 products and might 200 tread lockers, my fear is that I will find Loctite but fnding Loctite 542 is likely requiring a good portion of luck.
Same applies to Molykote, they have 1000+ products as well. And the service manual doesn't even specify which. I assume 1000 or P37. Both great anti seizes in my books.
Further I think that the greases from AGIP are nothing designed for a space mission to Mars. So what would be an USA made equivalent ?
Also I found aluminum tape on McMaster-Carr and they have different grades, glues and width of it. So what is Your recommendation ? 2 inch, 3 inch,...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
mitchy
The Hub Man

Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy

Sorry Haupti,did not realise you have already looked in the manual.
I have and use
Loctite 577 thread sealant for the metal fuel fittings in fuel tank
263 threadlocker-high strength
222 threadlocker-low strength
Anti sieze paste
Waterproof grease
Lithium based High Temp Bearing grease
All for rear hub service.
Liquid Steel for glueing in rivnuts,where I cannot use the rivnut tool.Thats about it.

Work.Email & Paypal.
tweedcitytruck@onestream.com.au
Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Nicolino

No MVs in the Registry

2"
Nicolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

done....

http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/show...and-tips/page2

go to post #1
item #2

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
haupti

Thank You guys for the effort which I really appreciate. I guess You gave Your best. Yeah I will keep on browsing the www and let You all know where I sourced the stuff in the US of A. Favorable I need only one or two online retailers.