|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > Classic
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Spartukus

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
Default Where do I begin??

Lets say I'd be interested in buying a classic/cafe racer MV, what should I get?

These are my left and right lateral limits:
Under $10,000
Something to just enjoy on a nice Friday evening
Doesn't have to be fast
Maintenance is not super crazy
MOST IMPORTANT must look cool

So entertain me, year, model, cylinders, cc, etc

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
Spartukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
iamlance

No MVs in the Registry

iamlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Hi Daniel,

That's one though assignment! Classics are a very personal thing.

Your choices are going to be either 1 or 2 cylinder given your budget - you looked at a 4 for me in NY so you have a pretty good idea of those prices.

I am thinking you would enjoy a twin more than a single (to start with) & not too early at that either - bear in mind they will have right hand shifts and reverse pattern - i.e 1st up & 4 down. This turns some people off.

Probably a decent 350B Electronica would be a good entry point - I am not sure of what availablity is like in the USA - you may have to import one from Uk or Europe although with import costs etc you may struggle to keep it under 10K for a decent one.

Something like this below - this one is not original hence the price - but it gives you an idea of "look" and if it's the kind of thing that you may interested in - failing that look through my registery & see if any of those tickle your fancy (not that any are for sale) but it may give you an idea if models and what appeals to you - which is VERY important when it comes to selecting a classic to enjoy.

Cheers
Rob

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/moto-...-1972/36739016
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Randarosa
Big Randaddy

Buy the absolute finest bike you can afford that is FINISHED! You can buy someone else's labor in a restoration for essentially zero. If you buy a project bike, you'll almost certainly pour way more money into it than you'll recover when you sell it.
910R, S4RS,'78 BMW R100S, '72 Honda CB350f Cafe Racer, '70 CB175 Cafe Racer, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, '34 HD VFD sidecar ("Betty Jean"....after my dearly departed mother), Kawasaki Concours 1400, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, Lee Halverson's fantastic "Green Monster", and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
SportBikeMike

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Very true what Randy said!

Absolutely no more project cars...or bikes....for me! Never!

Definitely buy one that is already completed.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Buy the absolute finest bike you can afford that is FINISHED! You can buy someone else's labor in a restoration for essentially zero. If you buy a project bike, you'll almost certainly pour way more money into it than you'll recover when you sell it.
Na. A restoration is always worth as much as you are willing to spend and put of yourself into it if it is for you.

Some builds are much more than dollars and cents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
Spartukus

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus

Thanks for all that information Rob, I am looking for something like the one you sent the link to. Two cylinder.
The shifter on the opposite side does discourage me a bit. The reverse shifter (MotoGP) I can deal with.

I will call the guy that was selling the bike I scoped out for you and see if he has anything.

I want a bike that is already in the US.
I don't want a restoration project as I don't have the mechanical inclination for it. I'd really like a turn key ready to go bike.

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
Spartukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Xav
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Hello

With the amount you want to put in a good old MV, you should have the choice

I agree with the guys on the principle of choosing a small 350 twin cylinder, 12 V preferred.

But when I say small, you should know that these bikes are good and reliable but rather for for small jigs

Cordialement

Xavier
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
MVista
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF3_40 View Post
Na. A restoration is always worth as much as you are willing to spend and put of yourself into it if it is for you.

Some builds are much more than dollars and cents.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

I agree with this most strongly - in fact, in the next 4-5 weeks I am hoping to put up a thread of a completed build that I started 16 years ago, with a fairly lenghty hiatus & many direction changes (lol) that will illustrate this point. The extra buzz is that the final build will be completed by my son who was 2 when I started this project.

On the the other hand, if you are looking to make a buck or the main motivation is the biggest bang for your buck, then Randy & Mike are 200% correct. If i sold my project as it is now, I would recover only a fraction of the cost & even completed, I would never get back the money that the 100s of hours in research, labour, chasing, delivering etc etc. would have cost.

When completed, will it have been worth it? I reckon even at trice the price I would answer YES - but that only applies to me not the market - people sometimes can't differentiate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartukus View Post
Thanks for all that information Rob, I am looking for something like the one you sent the link to. Two cylinder.
The shifter on the opposite side does discourage me a bit. The reverse shifter (MotoGP) I can deal with.

I will call the guy that was selling the bike I scoped out for you and see if he has anything.

I want a bike that is already in the US.
I don't want a restoration project as I don't have the mechanical inclination for it. I'd really like a turn key ready to go bike.

Knowing you & the bikes you have Daniel, I thought this would be a good entry point. Either that or a 350 ipotesi like mine would be a good starting point for classics - I say starting point because once you are in you are hooked!

The other thing you need is lots of patience - an example, I got my 350 back last week from my trusted mecahnic - had everything done, valve clearances, carby tune, timing checked, fluids the works. Ok so it would not start for love or money!!! I checked over everything couldn't see a problem - finally with the help of my son, we pushed it up (our very steep drive) onto the street & clutch started it - it ran perfect, stopped for fuel, kicked first time, stopped a a scenic looked out, first kick & off - coming home, I heard a squeaking, jingling sound - drove me nuts - pulled up in the garage (after about a 150klm run) and believe it not (after an 1/2 an hour of diagnosis) the bracket holding the headlight & fairing has a hairline fracture in it

This kind of thing drives people mad, I enjoy the challenge, it's important to have the right attitude with a classic or the enjoyment will be greatly diminished.

Btw Daniel, if you find something put it up here, many of the guys will only be too happy to help work out if it is worth following through on it.

Last edited by MVista : 11-05-2012 at 05:33 PM.
MVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Randarosa
Big Randaddy

I currently own a 1971 Datsun 240Z that is worth maybe $5-6K......that I've got $16K invested in, and a 1934 Harley Davidson that might be worth $40K when I'm ever done......that I've already busted $40K so far, and I'm not done.

I know from where I speak. Pride in accomplishment is certainly worth something.......just not to your bank.
910R, S4RS,'78 BMW R100S, '72 Honda CB350f Cafe Racer, '70 CB175 Cafe Racer, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, '34 HD VFD sidecar ("Betty Jean"....after my dearly departed mother), Kawasaki Concours 1400, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, Lee Halverson's fantastic "Green Monster", and a very understanding wife........
Randarosa is offline   Reply With Quote