Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F3
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Default My F3 top speed - measured 253.6kph

There's another thread on here about a youtube clip showing 278kph on the speedo but it's untested, so I thought I should start a new one since my result was measured today.

We have an annual motorbike 1/4 mile standing and flying event here. It's a bit of fun to raise money for the annual Cliffhanger hillclimb. I do the Hillclimb too! Sadly last year a rider died but it's expected to go ahead again.

So, wad dah she do?

Me; 10.92 secs standing start and the flying was true 253.6 kph.

Standing starts were first and to be honest it was raining, soaking wet road so I expected a poor result. Funny thing was my first attempt turned out to be my best at 10.92 which was only beaten by the three Hayabusa riders, ZX12R and an R1. I beat a couple of GSXR600 and CBR600RR and Daytona 675 To be fair the Daytona was a 2006 model with a young inexperienced rider.

Soon the sun came out, roads dried but my times slipped to 11.1s ?? Go figure. The QS worked fantastic, I had concerns under full power it might miss 1st to 2nd but it never missed a beat.
Sadly, and I'm probably to blame, it's a bitch of a bike to get a good launch.

I had fun in the flying quarters though. Each run with a better result. I saw 274kph first attempt (246kph measured) but later got to get it tapped out in 6th bouncing off the rev limiter before tripping the first timing light. Can't do much better than that.

So my actual results each run were; 246kph, 248, 249.7 (argh! that annoyed me). Then I saw 280kph on the speedo so I knew the next run was a winner. Optimistic speedo but it was a true 253.6kph (157.58mph). I won the 600 class and beat a few of the big boys. Again it was Hayabusas doing 293+kph runs and an R1 did 293 as well and ZX10 up there somewhere.

The start of the flyings leads you into a left hander before the long straight and taking this bend at about 240kph well leaned over was a blast.

So now I know, flat out is with 280 on the dial and only a miserable real 253 kph. Still I entered my Daytona in 2007 and only got 249kph. Although it was near new and still had a tight motor.

Now to find time for a track day.

Last edited by MV in NZ : 11-04-2012 at 01:18 AM.
MV in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
quad-turbo

No MVs in the Registry

Top man !!!
quad-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
Dented Frequency

No MVs in the Registry

Damn bro that sounds like awesome fun! Where was this event held? I was at Meremere drag strip today doing the 1/4, unfortunately with my bike not run in didn't really want to bounce it off the limiter. Impressive result you got, the best guys with us today on stretched and modded zx14's were only able to get into the low 10's. Most superbikes were in the 11's, but there was a fair bit of a head wind!
We have a couple of trackdays coming up over the next few months at Hampton Downs, looking forward to getting the F3 on track.
Dented Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dented Frequency View Post
Damn bro that sounds like awesome fun! Where was this event held? I was at Meremere drag strip today doing the 1/4, unfortunately with my bike not run in didn't really want to bounce it off the limiter. Impressive result you got, the best guys with us today on stretched and modded zx14's were only able to get into the low 10's. Most superbikes were in the 11's, but there was a fair bit of a head wind!
We have a couple of trackdays coming up over the next few months at Hampton Downs, looking forward to getting the F3 on track.
Cheers. It's in the Wairarapa on the East-West Access Road that goes around Lake Wairarapa.

I must say I came home very happy with the bike. Going back to N map gave me the impression for the first time that something was wrong with the motor. Then I realised I'd just got accustomed to hours of full tit in S map and had to come back to earth.

A lot of people watching raved about the amazing howl from the F3
Old 11-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Did you notice the clutch judder when launching? Mine gives one o two large shudders during race starts.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF3_40 View Post
Did you notice the clutch judder when launching? Mine gives one o two large shudders during race starts.

Yeah I did. Not pleasant. I wondered if it was some form of launch control/TC/anti-wheelie kicking in? I had TC off but the juddering was unexpected. Bloody hard to launch trying to maintain high revs (about 8k) while getting the clutch out as quick as you can and avoid wheelies. Most of my worse starts were due to double wheelies in 1st, UP, back off throttle a sec, try more power, bugger UP goes the wheel again..repeat, curse.

Last edited by MV in NZ : 11-05-2012 at 03:26 AM.
MV in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Yeah. I have same issue racing. It also helps the bike just likes to stand up anyway!

I thought it was tc as well at first.

I spoke to the guys at wpr about it, they don't have the issue as they use an after market slipper clutch. Also spoke to the local tech. He reckoned unless they alter the design it'll always be there.

MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Oh yeah. The results look good for the MV. Although I suppose it was a smaller field due to the morning rain keeping a few away.

Should have been a prize for best looking and best sounding bike.

http://cliffhanger.org.nz/sprints/re...2_results.html
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
idahomike
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via Skype™ to idahomike

Great work for the F3! I am puzzled by the speeds in the standing quarter mile, though...how come so low? With those E.T's, speeds should be well into the triple digits...what am I not seeing here? Are those AVERAGE speeds? If so, they really don't tell the quarter mile performance like trap speed does.

Last edited by idahomike : 11-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.
idahomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #10
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomike View Post
Great work for the F3! I am puzzled by the speeds in the standing quarter mile, though...how come so low? With those E.T's, speeds should be well into the triple digits...what am I not seeing here? Are those AVERAGE speeds? If so, they really don't tell the quarter mile performance like trap speed does.
Mike.
Yes the standing start results (e.g. me at 82.28mph) is an average speed over the 1/4 mile doing the maths with the seconds it took multiplied out to an hour. The trick I have learned from past attempts is get the first 1 second launch right and the rest falls into place. I recall seeing something above 220kph (137mph) just before the final timing light. The QS really helped reduce my times since I wasn't happy with any of my launches.

What surprised me was the overall poor results this year. Considering there was no head wind and good surface but the general results were down compared to say the 2004 results. This year few bikes got under 11 secs, but in 2004 when I won the flying and standings on my then new model Blade with a 10.08 sec run, many bikes got sub 11s. Mind you this year not many turned up on the latest 2011/2012 weapons. A dude arrived on a S1000RR and DIDN'T enter. Wimp. That's like going to the Pub for a glass of water.

Also the usual winners most years have modified gearing, use power commanders and turbos or nitro etc- all which to me doesn't provide a fair bike to bike model comparison.