# Life of aftermarket hub bearings? - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Tony F
Established Member

No MVs in the Registry

Default Life of aftermarket hub bearings?

Hi

For those of you that have replaced the factory rear hub ball bearing with the version supplied by Noel's friend @ CBR Bearings:

how many km do you have on the replacement bearing?

have any of the replacement bearings failled?

I replaced the the ball bearing in my rear hub 21 months/9,000km ago. I checked it after 5,000km - all was good, and at 9,000km - still good, not even a hint of roughness. (hub removed from the swinging arm both times)

It does beg the question, should I replace the bearing while I have the hub out of the swinging arm?

Interested to hear of other's experiences.

Thanks

Tony
Tony F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
hoppy

I didnt like the look of the plastic cage on my bearings from CBR so chucked em in the bin.

Someone once asked me if I was "out of my mind". To which I replied "of course I am, as its dark & scary in their".
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
adecritten

No MVs in the Registry

Default CBR bearings...............no reported failures yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Hi

For those of you that have replaced the factory rear hub ball bearing with the version supplied by Noel's friend @ CBR Bearings:

I replaced the the ball bearing in my rear hub 21 months/9,000km ago. I checked it after 5,000km - all was good, and at 9,000km - still good, not even a hint of roughness. (hub removed from the swinging arm both times)

It does beg the question, should I replace the bearing while I have the hub out of the swinging arm?

Thanks

Tony
I'm pretty sure that should any of Charlies's bearings have failed a holy war would have broken out by now. I'm very pleased that you have created a thread on this subject.

I personally never saw the logic of some others on this forum that advocated the like for like replacement with regard obtaining and replacing the constantly failing OEM fitted INA bearing with the same again, its been proved time after time that they are not reliable.

I have used CBR bearings for 2 years now and have replaced many hub bearings during that time, no reported failures yet.

adecritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I didn't like the look of the plastic cage on my bearings from CBR so chucked em in the bin.
well Hoppy, that was your decision, but i wish you had said something to me........all bearing like this have plastic retainers

i will PayPal you a refund

Charlie works with all the major off road racing teams......he was a trials bike rider/importer for years and my friend for ~25years

i have sold 100s of these bearings.....

as Ade said as far as i know there has been no bearing failure with a bearing from CBR

for Bubba IV i built a portable bearing extractor/press..... no one was interested in me changing them for free.....

won't be free till next Bubba if then

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
theknurl

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Hoppy;
i refunded your money and shipping.....

check your Paypal/Email

The Forum Curmudgeon
i'm not PC either

ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
email, PayPal; theknurl@yahoo.com
Skype; theknurl
theknurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
mvrick

No MVs in the Registry

I Have put 20,000kms on those, cbr bearings and 5 track days a year.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
mvrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
mitchy
The Hub Man

Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy

Noel,I really don't think you had to give that refund.But you stand by the products you sell,that's the sort of guy you are.I also buy a lot of bearings off Charlie,not the 3810s but other part numbers,thanks to you for the referral.Charlie is a pleasure to deal with and is very knowledgable about bearings.He sells quality Japanese bearings and stands by his products.Also Hoppy,why did you you pop the seal to see what's inside.A bearing company told me you should never take a seal out of a sealed bearing due to the danger of water ingress in the future,you should leave them alone.

Work.Email & Paypal.
tweedcitytruck@onestream.com.au
Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326

Last edited by mitchy : 11-06-2012 at 03:09 AM.
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Noel,I really don't think you had to give that refund.But you stand by the products you sell,that's the sort of guy you are.I also buy a lot of bearings off Charlie,not the 3810s but other part numbers,thanks to you for the referral.Charlie is a pleasure to deal with and is very knowledgable about bearings.He sells quality Japanese bearings and stands by his products.Also Hoppy,why did you you pop the seal to see what's inside.A bearing company told me you should never take a seal out of a sealed bearing due to the danger of water ingress in the future,you should leave them alone.

Correct Mitchy on not removing the outer seal to have a peek at the balls/cage ..For me once that is done, the bearing is scrap..simple as that. It has been compromised and therefore is not fit for use.

joe

Last edited by gotojoe : 11-06-2012 at 03:47 AM.
gotojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
adecritten

No MVs in the Registry

Question One for Mitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Hi

Thanks

Tony
Only Mitchy can answer this for sure:-

Failed OEM 'INA' bearings = ?
Failed CBR bearings = 0
Failed Mitchy Hubs = 0

I think in this case that the proof will in the pudding eh!!
adecritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
wa2fst

No MVs in the Registry

Noel I was very interested in changing mine but no one ever got back with me on doing it. last I heard Carl was going to let us use his garage but the timeline of rides and what nots i dont think it was possible.

Although I have this precious little bearing sitting in the garage waiting to go in. can anyone give some kind of pics or a walkthrough? I plan on doing mine this weekend.
wa2fst is offline   Reply With Quote