Register FAQ Members List

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Ian SAVS

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Question To purchase or to create a track bike... that is the question

So I want to go ride at the track.

I have already acquired the correct apparel, but now I need a bike. I don't really want to track the MV, because the anguish, were I to lay it down, might prove to be too much for me to handle like a man
I have a Honda '05 CBR 1000rr Repsol edition that I love to look at. I fell in love with the Repsol replicas in Europe way back, and snatched one up in '05 and I would loathe getting rid of it. My original plan was to take the plastics and wheels off of it and turn it into a track bike. I figured if I ever really wrecked it I could just buy another used 05 1000rr and put the Repsol kit back on it.
BUT, after owning the MV, the Italian styling got to me and I really want to own Ducati now, but my wife has stayed pretty adamant about me not having a 3rd bike for a couple of more years under threat of physical harm to my body, unleashed on me upon purchase of said third bike.

I got online and started pricing out some of the things that it would take to turn the CBR into a decent track bike and realized that the it was going to be pretty costly. I thought about how you never get your accessories out of a bike when you sell it and I began to look at EBAY and the WERA Classified sections at used track bikes, where there are anything from amateur built 600's to full AMA race team 1000's. used but going for decent prices, even a few Ducati's...

So my dilemma is this, Do I:

A. go ahead with the CBR track bike build and spend the money on it, slowly changing it over over a length of time, and in a few years, when the cash purchase of the MV has worn off of my wife's bitching list, buy a Ducati for the street,

or

B. Do I sell the CBR, and an extra set of stock MV F4 fairings that I have, and put that, and the money I would spend upgrading it, into a used Ducati 848 or 1099 track bike that has already been built up, and maybe in a few years get something else as a third bike. (did someone say Aprilia?)

Am I asking for trouble buying a used track bike? i.e.: engine and maintenance of a bike that was ridden hard and possibly crashed?
I have always babied my CBR, and while it has 7500 miles, I don't plan on riding to its limits on the track, just casual track days, and feel it would stay reliable for some years to come.
I see some of these used race bikes for a good price with lots of upgrades and only a few thousand miles on the clock, and i think "whats the catch?"

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Ian
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
quad-turbo

No MVs in the Registry

Neither the CBR1000 Repsol nor the MV are good 'first time' track bikes. The CBR shock will heat up after about 7 laps, you'll need an Ohlins, plus the bike is simply too fast to learn track riding on.....MV will handle beautifully if you've set it up but again too fast for a first time track-bike....buy something else, maybe an SV650
quad-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Buy a used race bike. Better value and less dollars when you fall. And you will while you learn your race craft.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
esq'z me

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me

Chris is right......and SV50s are very reliable bikes and dirt cheap. Heck, a year ago you could have bought mine with spares galore, track stands, brand new tires and and all the best upgrades for a whopping $3k.....and someone did. An older guy just getting into track days and he has put it to good use!!!
'08 910R, '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike, YSR50 restoration project, '71 CB100
esq'z me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Ian SAVS

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

I owned an SV650 years ago, and enjoyed it completely, but this time around, my desire for the Ducati is going to affect my decision making process. I was thinking that an 848 would be pretty handy around the track, not too fast/powerful. I am not a stranger to 1000cc bikes or v-twins and an 850 twin would be right up my alley. I think that letting go of the CBR may be the best decision. Can anyone tell me any cons of the 848?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Donsy
Senior Member or Something

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy

Ha, and my first track bike was a MV.....oh, it still is.

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Ian SAVS

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Lucky man you are Donsy, did you cry the first time you laid it down? I am afraid i would.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
quad-turbo

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SAVS View Post
I owned an SV650 years ago, and enjoyed it completely, but this time around, my desire for the Ducati is going to affect my decision making process. I was thinking that an 848 would be pretty handy around the track, not too fast/powerful. I am not a stranger to 1000cc bikes or v-twins and an 850 twin would be right up my alley. I think that letting go of the CBR may be the best decision. Can anyone tell me any cons of the 848?
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Suzukis (Not) but the SV650 is the perfect bike for learning trackcraft if you have some experience riding big sportbikes, the Duke 848 would be ok but I think still too much bike for first time. If you want Italian find a late model Cagiva 650 you will be surprised how fast you get by going slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
.....hehehe always an exception to the rule Donsy
quad-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
italia

Ian, am thinking about parting with my track bike. It has never been down - I don't push it to the limit. I am original owner - bought it new, put 1000 miles on it on the street to break it in before putting it on the track. Have all the original factory street parts - see my signature for some of the modifications.

Also, has Ducati Performance ECU that comes with the Full Termignoni system (performance wise, it's faster than a Triumph Daytona 675) custom painted Skarkskinz track plastic with DoubleBubble screen, 2nd gas tank and seat for track (on bike), and more stuff. All maintenance performed by Ducati mechanic.

I just ran it at the Bub 4 track day last month - it runs great! (needs new tires)

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S
'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold
~Amo tutte le cose italiane~
italia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Ohhhh me likey.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote