|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F3
Register FAQ Members List

Old 10-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
hallmar

No MVs in the Registry

Default Touring on the F3

Hi, I was wondering anyone has done some long runs on the F3 with a decent sized load ??

The reason I ask is that I finally got to see one in the flesh (and omg how sweet are they), but I was left wondering how the rear subframe would take the weight of a ventura rack/bag setup

It looks really light back there and as some of the rides I would do would be in excess of 2000k's in a week on some rough-ish australian roads I'd get a fair workout.

Tossing up between one of these and an 848 early next year . . oh the dilemma (I love the v twins you see)

Cheers
hallmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Hi,
I did a 650km each way return ride recently. The bike was plenty comfortable.

I used Oxford throwover sports bags on the rear, attached to the rear foot peg hangers. I placed soft cloth over the rear panels to protect them from scuffing which worked fine. These expandable bags carry a decent amount but I can't see a Ventura type luggage frame being fitted to a F3.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
MVF3_40

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV in NZ View Post
Hi,
I did a 650km each way return ride recently. The bike was plenty comfortable.

I used Oxford throwover sports bags on the rear, attached to the rear foot peg hangers. I placed soft cloth over the rear panels to protect them from scuffing which worked fine. These expandable bags carry a decent amount but I can't see a Ventura type luggage frame being fitted to a F3.
You sir are a stronger man than i. The iron maiden Killed me nethers over 1200kms in 2 days.

But rest assured the rear subframe could easily take a large Sheila and a weekends luggage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
MVF3_40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
hallmar

No MVs in the Registry

Cheers, I do have some sports bags , but only the side ones . . I'll check the Oxford ones out for the top unit

Glad to hear the subframe would be strong enough, though no shiela large or small will be on the back .. Mine tells me how to drive a car every 10 mins, I cant imagine how'd she be on two wheels
hallmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
rz33v4

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

The rear subframe looks to be plenty strong. I had the body panels off recently so I could see the structure. Lots of steel tubes going all the way to the taillight.
rz33v4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF3_40 View Post
You sir are a stronger man than i. The iron maiden Killed me nethers over 1200kms in 2 days.

But rest assured the rear subframe could easily take a large Sheila and a weekends luggage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
Ha sorry, my bad. I meant I did a long weekend away trip- not there and back in ONE day! Well done you doing 1200kms in 2 days.

I do an annual four or five days around the South Island of NZ every December. That's serious non-stop riding for days so it will test my 52 y.o bum. Actually, it's more across my shoulders I find get sore. The beauty of our South Island is the roads are heaven made for sports bikes. I don't see the F3 being any less comfortable than other bikes I've toured on, such as the D675 and CBR1000RR. In fact I reckon it is more roomy than the D675.

Back to the luggage. Yeah, I agree the rear looks like it could take the weight. I don't like the ugly look of top boxes and Ventura packracks and the throwover saddle bags keep the COG weight lower.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Dented Frequency

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV in NZ View Post
Ha sorry, my bad. I meant I did a long weekend away trip- not there and back in ONE day! Well done you doing 1200kms in 2 days.

I do an annual four or five days around the South Island of NZ every December. That's serious non-stop riding for days so it will test my 52 y.o bum. Actually, it's more across my shoulders I find get sore. The beauty of our South Island is the roads are heaven made for sports bikes. I don't see the F3 being any less comfortable than other bikes I've toured on, such as the D675 and CBR1000RR. In fact I reckon it is more roomy than the D675.

Back to the luggage. Yeah, I agree the rear looks like it could take the weight. I don't like the ugly look of top boxes and Ventura packracks and the throwover saddle bags keep the COG weight lower.
Man I find I get sore after about 100kms on the F3, not so bad if you keep up the pace, but crap roads at slow speeds is a bitch. I may need to soften off the suspension a little, i'm a light weight so factory settings are usually too firm for my weight.
I was planning to head round the South Island in December as well, but that is a trip for, and why I kept, the Tiger
Dented Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
Beauwulf675

No MVs in the Registry

I'm going to do a 500 mile trip up to Daytona on Sunday. I picked up a set of saddle bags on Amazon for $47 (apparently on a huge sale) to haul my camera gear and such. I had to get creative with the mount since the tail tapers so much but, I'm pretty happy with the setup so far! I'll post some better photos when I pull the bike out of my shop tomorrow.

Beauwulf675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
shashankmittal

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauwulf675 View Post
I'm going to do a 500 mile trip up to Daytona on Sunday. I picked up a set of saddle bags on Amazon for $47 (apparently on a huge sale) to haul my camera gear and such. I had to get creative with the mount since the tail tapers so much but, I'm pretty happy with the setup so far! I'll post some better photos when I pull the bike out of my shop tomorrow.

Looks good. Just make sure the bags do not scratch your tail.

I am using the MV tail bag, it small, but decent sized for a weekend ride. Can easily hold a jeans, 1-2 tees and toiletries.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Kiwidoc

Saw this recently, another idea on carrying stuff.
Attached Images

Kiwidoc is offline   Reply With Quote