|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > Brutale B4
Register FAQ Members List

Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Ikaros

No MVs in the Registry

Default Brutale 1078rr shutting down while riding

Hello dear friends, with the same passion: MVs!!!

Im new to this forum, and i really need your help with an issue that my
Brut has.

The other day, while riding around town, the bike shut down for no reason (fuel tank was full, and it shut down during a gear change from 3rd to 2nd; if that helps anyhow)

It happened twice so far, and it's rather dissapointing for a brand new bike
the thrill of riding it is unbeatable though!!

please help!!
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
hebs

Hi Ikaros and welcome. Do you have an aftermarket pipe on your bike by chance?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
AEI

Hi,

could be electrical problem.
check the fuses. I had this problem on my f4 too.
it was the cable of the speed sensor which had a bad isolation.
So sometimes it had contact to the metal around and fuse was gone.

Just an idea, but easy to check!

brgds,
DANIEL
AEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
cdamb

No MVs in the Registry

Welcome! Also it has been deemed as a faulty kick stand switch. It may help you to do a search on stalling although you will be overwhelmed with information.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
cdamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
eddypro

Hi IKAROS,need more info,does it shut off when you let go of the throttle while de-accelerating,or does it just turn off with throttle on,

cheers eddy
eddypro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Hello Ikaros...from where do you hail? I'll ask the age old question: Does it have an alarm system fitted?

Then I'll ask a question more pertinent to your problem: Is the bike fully warmed up when this occurs?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
G21090
Established Member

I've had this same thing occur on my 1090, 4x now. It has happened both before & after installing my Arrow headers/mid-pipe (stock ECU, no remap). It happens when decelerating (closed throttle) & down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the bike just quits. It has happened on 3 occasions at the early stages of a ride, even though I typically let the bike (which is on a battery tender) warm up for several minutes before I take off. It also happened once after riding all day. There is no aftermarket alarm system fitted.
I came across this reply (Thanks jonadd) in one of the posts & thought it made good sense as to why this might be happening.
Cheers,
Glenn

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48125

"Ok, some issues. I read the entire stalling thread, and decided the issue was mostly riding style/technique. Being a trials rider I aspire to precise throttle control, and pride myself on being a smooth rider. I removed the external throttle return spring, and I always roll the throttle back against the stop before pulling in the clutch on decel. Those changes alone have all but eliminated stalling. I stalled 6 times in first 50 miles, 3 times in next 800+ miles, 2 of which were my omission, only one due to a stumble at idle. Idle still stumbles every now and then, but not often and usually not enough to stall.

Note I am not giving her gas with the clutch engaged, just holding the twistgrip back against the spring pressure. I like to use engine braking, so I decel hard in gear and she never stalls under those conditions, only with the clutch in and revs falling down to, and past, idle rpm. I have ridden a few light flywheel, highly tuned motorcycles with fuel injection throttle snatch, so I think in terms of rpm momentum, and just don't let the rpm's fall too low too rapidly with the clutch in. Mostly, I accept the fact that I bought an exotic racing derived bike that offers incredible performance at the expense of some relatively small drivability issues. Others may have greater problems with their Brutales, but for me on mine, stalling is a non-issue.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
hebs

Ok I had my 1078 start doing this after a I installed headers and mid pipe. I would be riding along the freeway then when I got of the freeway and slowed the bike would stall. It started again almost immediataly when I pressed the button though. I took it in to my dealer and they adjusted a few bits, tps mainly I think, but it has never stalled since.

It's something to do with the bike leaning out on the freeway and the freer flowing exhaust not lettin the lambda sensor read quick enough to richen up when you slow down so therefore it stalls.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Ikaros

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebs View Post
Hi Ikaros and welcome. Do you have an aftermarket pipe on your bike by chance?
no, no aftermarket pipe or anything else. bike is stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEI View Post
Hi,

could be electrical problem.
check the fuses. I had this problem on my f4 too.
it was the cable of the speed sensor which had a bad isolation.
So sometimes it had contact to the metal around and fuse was gone.

Just an idea, but easy to check!

brgds,
DANIEL
Hi Daniel, thanks for response. Ive checked fuses and cable isolation. they look fine. (cable isolation looks like gona melt away from high temperatures though.bike gets really hot especially in summer. Do you think they need to be replaced or do sth with it?)

Thanks again!

Regards,

Alexandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdamb View Post
Welcome! Also it has been deemed as a faulty kick stand switch. It may help you to do a search on stalling although you will be overwhelmed with information.
Too much info for that issue, indeed!!
Thanks for the response!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
Hi IKAROS,need more info,does it shut off when you let go of the throttle while de-accelerating,or does it just turn off with throttle on,

cheers eddy
Hi Eddy! all 3times it turned off while de-accelerating (while changing gear from 3rd to 2nd to be more precise). hasnt done that again until now though, so its kinda hard to tell :/

Thanks for your response though!

Cheers,

Alexandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Hello Ikaros...from where do you hail? I'll ask the age old question: Does it have an alarm system fitted?

Then I'll ask a question more pertinent to your problem: Is the bike fully warmed up when this occurs?
Hi Silentservice!! Greetings from Greece
Nope, it doesnt have an alarm system fitted (or anything else eg aftermarket pipes etc)
Yes, bike was fully warmed up all 3 times that occured

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21090 View Post
I've had this same thing occur on my 1090, 4x now. It has happened both before & after installing my Arrow headers/mid-pipe (stock ECU, no remap). It happens when decelerating (closed throttle) & down-shifting from 3rd to 2nd, the bike just quits. It has happened on 3 occasions at the early stages of a ride, even though I typically let the bike (which is on a battery tender) warm up for several minutes before I take off. It also happened once after riding all day. There is no aftermarket alarm system fitted.
I came across this reply (Thanks jonadd) in one of the posts & thought it made good sense as to why this might be happening.
Cheers,
Glenn

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48125

"Ok, some issues. I read the entire stalling thread, and decided the issue was mostly riding style/technique. Being a trials rider I aspire to precise throttle control, and pride myself on being a smooth rider. I removed the external throttle return spring, and I always roll the throttle back against the stop before pulling in the clutch on decel. Those changes alone have all but eliminated stalling. I stalled 6 times in first 50 miles, 3 times in next 800+ miles, 2 of which were my omission, only one due to a stumble at idle. Idle still stumbles every now and then, but not often and usually not enough to stall.

Note I am not giving her gas with the clutch engaged, just holding the twistgrip back against the spring pressure. I like to use engine braking, so I decel hard in gear and she never stalls under those conditions, only with the clutch in and revs falling down to, and past, idle rpm. I have ridden a few light flywheel, highly tuned motorcycles with fuel injection throttle snatch, so I think in terms of rpm momentum, and just don't let the rpm's fall too low too rapidly with the clutch in. Mostly, I accept the fact that I bought an exotic racing derived bike that offers incredible performance at the expense of some relatively small drivability issues. Others may have greater problems with their Brutales, but for me on mine, stalling is a non-issue.
Hi Glenn,

thank you very much for your response. Since ive been a 1 and 2 cylinder bike rider before brutale, this could make sense (since i was used to a more extensive clutch use). Ill let you know if that happens again. Waiting for your news if that happens again to you as well.

Cheers,

Alexandros

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebs View Post
Ok I had my 1078 start doing this after a I installed headers and mid pipe. I would be riding along the freeway then when I got of the freeway and slowed the bike would stall. It started again almost immediataly when I pressed the button though. I took it in to my dealer and they adjusted a few bits, tps mainly I think, but it has never stalled since.

It's something to do with the bike leaning out on the freeway and the freer flowing exhaust not lettin the lambda sensor read quick enough to richen up when you slow down so therefore it stalls.
Hi hebs! not sure if it has to do with the pipes (since mine is stock)
Thanks for the response though! ill keep that in mind
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
eddypro

ok,mine was a bitch ,{hebs no insult intended} when I got it ,do you self a favour and go and get the throttle bodies syc,and then adjust your throttle idle ,i did mine manually,one screw outside the bike and another in the middle of the throttle bodies,now if you really want to get the 1078 just perfect ,read my threads,do as i have done and it will never ever stall ,period.

all the best ,hope you sort it out.

cheers eddy
no spell checker used.
eddypro is offline   Reply With Quote