# Tyre preferences for road use - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Suspension, Brakes and Tire Tech
Register FAQ Members List

Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Default Tyre preferences for road use

For those intending to use their F3 mainly on the road what are peoples preferences so far for tyres, or tires if that's how you swing?
What are owners swapping too and are they happy or not?

I know most of us, me anyway, have not had our F3s long enough to even wear out the OEM Rosso Corsas, but for me I'm not a big fan of Pirellis. I've heard plenty of negative reports on Rossos before and can't say the Rosso has done much to either impress me or put me off. It does seem to be wearing fast, which is something I found in the past with Super Corsas and Diablos before them. I hit some painted lines last weekend leaned over in the dry and they gave way far too easy and without warning. My first thought was, other brands wouldn't have given me that scare.

Three years with my Daytona 675 and I ended up sticking with Conti Sports and Conti-Street/Race for the summer track days. The Conti-Sports were great when ridden hard on road but after a few track laps totally lost the plot. Personally I didn't like the profile on the Pirelli Super Corsas how they made a bike 'fall over' into a lean. The Contis gave a much more controlled feel for me as you leaned.

Now I know the Tiger 1050 I have just come off is no sportsbike but I did ride it hard, grinding the pegs away riding on Michelin Pilot Powers. I gave up using the 2CT versions as the older single compound actually wore more evenly and cost less. I wasn't a Michelin fan until then.

But back to the F3. A totally different kettle of fish here and I don't intend to put more Rossos on.

I guess this question is twofold;
1. What are you track day fans going to use on track (besides full on slicks)
and
2. What are the fast road riders going to go with

Lets hear please.
Cheers
Mark

Last edited by MV in NZ : 09-13-2012 at 02:09 AM.
MV in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
ondgas

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via AIM to ondgas

Dunlop Q2's for street. Best street tire on the market in my opinion. Diablo super corse. Sc2 compound for track. Pays the most in contingency money.
ondgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Default Bump- any more opinions on tyres?

Well this thread didn't become a gold mine of real world Users input on tyre brands.

Anyways I have put Q2s on the F3. Only had the front on for a week and only had two short fangs along some twisties so far but first impressions are they grip really well. Heaps of sidewall makes it near impposible to scrub the chicken strips off.

As I said earlier, I don't like tyres that 'fall over' into a lean. Thankfully the Q2s are similar to Conti Sport/Race tyres in that they allow a gradual roll into a lean at the riders control, not the tyre leading the way.

Checking out other forums and some mixed reports on the rate of wear though. Some moaning Q2s have a ridiculous short life. I guess I will find out in coming months. If I can I will get to a track day next week.

Back to my OP question. I'm interested in hearing what tyres other on here have experimented with.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
idahomike
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Send a message via Skype™ to idahomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV in NZ View Post
Well this thread didn't become a gold mine of real world Users input on tyre brands.

Anyways I have put Q2s on the F3. Only had the front on for a week and only had two short fangs along some twisties so far but first impressions are they grip really well. Heaps of sidewall makes it near impposible to scrub the chicken strips off.

As I said earlier, I don't like tyres that 'fall over' into a lean. Thankfully the Q2s are similar to Conti Sport/Race tyres in that they allow a gradual roll into a lean at the riders control, not the tyre leading the way.

Checking out other forums and some mixed reports on the rate of wear though. Some moaning Q2s have a ridiculous short life. I guess I will find out in coming months. If I can I will get to a track day next week.

Back to my OP question. I'm interested in hearing what tyres other on here have experimented with.
Q2's for me as well. Never could get used to the Pirelli's - they would slide around on me with no warning and seemed to take a long time to heat up. The compound also feels noticeably harder when I do the "finger nail test".
When I put them on my Ninja, it was a huge improvement and so it was on the F3. I'm sure they will have a shorter life, but I don't care. It's the performance and the confidence that are important and the Q2's provide those in spades.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #5
MV in NZ
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomike View Post
Q2's for me as well... It's the performance and the confidence that are important and the Q2's provide those in spades.
Thanks.
Totally agree my blast today had a great stretch of tight left-right-lefts requiring rapid fast transitions and the F3 excelled with Q2s on. It was one of those magic moments (an epiphany as Homer Simpson would say) when you realise you have bought the right bike and fitted awesome tyres to boot. I can't imagine another bike being able to carve through that section with such speed and total composure. I rode home with such a smile and confidence in the F3 to attack corners like no other.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
cristogrr

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Default A game toy!!!

When you realise you have bought the right bike , like you said, I may confirm tha's correct for me too, I ride faster and safer than my milleR on my well known roads, but with the pirelli's too .
I 'm a Power one 2CT rider(track and road versions = V shape or rond one) , and at this time of cold weather, I have no concern about these Dragons (red or black), I only deflate a little to keep a few brain "confort" too.
I used to inflate only 2.1bars at the front, but I have not a damper on the F3 , for the moment, I can manage the beast!!
I only find the limit of the Showa in a corner (I try to open the throttle sooner and sooner), and I'm not sure if the TC was "active" for this moment...
Cheers
cristogrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
MVChris675

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

well for me and over 100k on my two daytonas, i run the q2 at the track and pirelli angel st on the street. ive gotten 18k miles out of a set of them. i ride aggresive and corner hard and have never had an issue with them.
MVChris675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
shashankmittal

No MVs in the Registry

At the track, I prefer Dunlop D211A (soft or med compound, based on weather)...they have a triangular profile like Q2, super sticky and wear well...last me 4-5 track days. I have tried Michelin Power Cup, equally good but a little costlier. Both the D211 and Power Cup have similar profiles (triangular), the bikes falls into the corner really easy and offer superior traction. The D211A is the AMA spec US made tire, Dunlop USA also imports UK made D211 which are sticker and much more expensive.

For street, I have been using Dunlop Q2 for over 3yrs now and will continue to use them until Dunlop comes out with Q3....lol. The Q2 provides me confidence aspiring traction at good lean angles, triangular profile and superior life. I usually get 5k-6k miles, I weight 150lbs and my suspension is dialed-in, which is a major contributor to long tread life.

As it goes without saying, anytime you change tire brand/model, re-tune the suspension. This is even more important when you replace the stock Pirellis (round profile) with a triangular profile tire like the Q2/Power Cup. I once measured the difference between the diameter of a new 190/55/17 Dunlop Q2 and Michelin 2CT...it was about 9mm! This is purely due to difference in tire profiles.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
idahomike
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Send a message via Skype™ to idahomike

We weigh close to the same so what is your setup? I plan on messing with mine this winter but it would be good to get some input from you as we're on the same tire as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
shashankmittal

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahomike View Post
We weigh close to the same so what is your setup? I plan on messing with mine this winter but it would be good to get some input from you as we're on the same tire as well.
I haven't tested the Q2 with the F3, but that is what I used with my S1000RR on street. For the F3's forks, you'll need to first check the spring rate of the stock springs and get softer springs. I spoke to my MV tech at length about this (he is Ohlins certified) and he told me that the F3's forks are uncommon and smaller diameter and as a result the aftermarket springs from other brands will not work. You'll have to get replacement fork springs from Marzocchi. The Sachs shock is common (same spring as my S1000RR) and I use 9.498 kg/mm Ohlins spring with it. You should consult a suspension shop and ask for their recommendation based on your weight, passenger requirements and riding style. Correct springs will win you half the battle, rest half is dialing in the settings. If you are comfortable disassembling the fork and shock yourself, you could check the spring rate and call Racetech for your spring needs. Those guys are great!