|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
The_castle

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Default F4. Are you really better than the bike?

I take the time to read quite a few threads on the forum everyday.
Now, I fully acknowledge that I'm not the fastest rider on the forum and probably not the slowest, but I think it's pretty interesting that there is criticism of the F4's abilities.
Really?
In particular I'm surprised that people criticize the handling & brakes of the MV F4.
They must be truly incredible riders to do this or have no clue how to set up a sportsbike chassis & suspension to their preference.

I recall being overtaken by multiple TT winner Bruce Anstey at my first track day, he ran it up the inside into a left hand hairpin. I was on a 1994 916 Ducati. He was on a Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster race bike.
If we had have been on each others bikes he still would have overtaken me, only a little quicker I suspect.
That's where my signature and my perspective on this subject comes from.
As I see it, it's not what you ride, it is how you ride it.
Buying this months highest rated sportsbike does not make you a more competent rider. It will just make feel that you are.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
jomarti1

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
Now, I fully acknowledge that I'm not the fastest rider on the forum and probably not the slowest, but I think it's pretty interesting that there is criticism of the F4's abilities.
Really?
In particular I'm surprised that people criticize the handling & brakes of the MV F4.
They must be truly incredible riders to do this or have no clue how to set up a sportsbike chassis & suspension to their preference.

I recall being overtaken by multiple TT winner Bruce Anstey at my first track day, he ran it up the inside into a left hand hairpin. I was on a 1994 916 Ducati. He was on a Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster race bike.
If we had have been on each others bikes he still would have overtaken me, only a little quicker I suspect.
Buying this months highest rated sportsbike does not make you a more competent rider. It will just make feel that you are.
Agree with you 100% Dave.
jomarti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Maser
Established Member

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

I have to agree, my only criticism of the bike is related to the engine mapping. The MV is one of the best handling bikes I ever owned and the brakes are just amazing.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
quad-turbo

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Really?

Dave, this is a great post, I agree completely and am happy to say the MV capability far exceeds my meagre ability, may it always be so.
quad-turbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
R1andrew

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Dave
You mean I am not a better rider than my MV with its Ohlins, carbon, magnesium, and Titanium. I agree with you 100%. I am upgrading my bike for looks and to make it mine. I love the ones which have to have the latest and greatest only for me to look at their chicken strips on their tires.
R1andrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG

Wow. It's nice to see some of the more respected forum members say what I've been saying for a long time.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Wow. It's nice to see some of the more respected forum members say what I've been saying for a long time.
What, that Dave can't ride for sh*t?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
mikef4uk

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Really?

I know what you mean Dave, but I don't agree with you, just because there is always some one faster than you (or me) doesn't mean that you (or I) can't tell the difference between an OK and a great handling bike, you don't have to be able to 'outride' the bike to feel this difference

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
mikef4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
crash2much

MV in the Registry:
[Brutale CRC]

I hear it all the time: "I've out grown my bike." "I am riding my bike at the limt of its (not my) capabilities." It goes on and on.

I sometimes counter that by saying: "So what you are saying is that if you take Valentino Rossi and yourself and both of you are on your bike, you will turn the same laptimes as Rossi?? Unless you do, you have not reached the limit of your bike!!"
Customers don't like that much, so I mostly agree with them and tell them they need to buy a faster bike from me!

Most people however, are rather sensible. They want a faster/bigger bike not necessarily because of the higher limit but because of the different engine characteristics, the different look, or simple because they can. And that's just cool. Who am I to judge what one should buy with their money. If they ask for my opinion, I will give it to them. If they don't and they know what they want, that's fine also. As long as one is happy with the bike they buy, that is all that matters. Motorcycle purchases and ownership in all but very few cases is completely un-necessary. It is a purely emotional decision so get the bike that stirs your emotions the most!
crash2much is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
cleophus james

MV in the Registry:
[Brutale 910]

It's not as simple as reaching the "limits of the bike". The limits of the machine are like a coefficient for some of us. I can ride a bike to (estimated by laptimes compared to AMA Pro) to about 91% of its capabilities. However, I'm still faster on a new R6 than an old ZX-6R from 2001. I am also faster on my '05 GSX-R 750 than on my F4 on the same race slicks (for now, the gixxer has better suspension).

Don't do exactly what you are railing against and oversimplify the situation.
cleophus james is offline   Reply With Quote