MV Agusta Forum banner

Oil leak

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  910BrutaleHydrogen 
#1 ·
I know there are multiple threads about oil leak in here. And here's one more with a photo.

It looks like it is leaking a little oil in the joint in front of the cover. Is this a place that is common to have a leak.
Or are we looking at a potential disaster here.:wtf:

I would appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Glenn.
Picture's not too clear mate, but if it is coming from that F4 cover then you have nothing to fear.
Just remove the cover and clean the surface's very nicely.
Re-install the excisting o-ring but also add some silicone based Form-a-Gasket (just a thin layer), then re-install the cover and you should be just fine mate.
ps. Do not overtighten as you will just squeeze all the sealer out.
Good luck

#3 · (Edited)
+1 on what Donsy says

As Donsy says.

If it is the phonic wheel cover, tighten the bolts to 10nm.

I was always told by my late father that you should hand tighten all the bolts first and then work your way up torquing to spec.

Unless the workshop manual states otherwise, always work on the bolt opposite the last one to be tightened. So that you are not moving from one bolt to the next in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction.

This way even pressure is gradually applied to the part in question and any gasket/sealant is not deformed by uneven preasure and or pinching. Do not forget that after you have torqued the first bolt to 10nm, after you have torqued the remaining 4 bolts, the first may not still be at 10nm. So follow the same process again if necessary.

Glen, sorry if I am stating the bleeding obvious here, but thought I would just share!

Dave

#5 ·
oil leak?

Glenn;
use some white powdered deodorant or foot powder on the motor it will lead you to the leak......but it always ends up on the drain plug:stickpoke

usually the valve cover/cover bolts are leaking a bit
check the oil line to the head too

retorque the pan bolts

and redo the LocTite on the sidestand mounting bolts

inspect the sidestand for cracks at the rear outside of the mounting slot

#6 ·
Ag Noel

Glenn;
use some white powdered deodorant or foot powder on the motor it will lead you to the leak......but it always ends up on the drain plug:stickpoke

usually the valve cover/cover bolts are leaking a bit
check the oil line to the head too

retorque the pan bolts

and redo the LocTite on the sidestand mounting bolts

inspect the sidestand for cracks at the rear outside of the mounting slot
It's the F4 cover okay - don't confuse the whole bloody story now man - we where on the roll here.
One leak at a time :banghead:

#8 ·
lol, 4 oil leaks in one go. Glenn better do his homework right.
On a Brutale I would say that a bloke would notice the leak before it got to the sump, and a leak from the front would go down the motor first rather than around the side. But that is only judged from what I've seen.

Oi Uncle - are we getting that price list soon or what ? : )

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I feel more comfortable after I heard what you mean. I choose to believe the best, That the cap is leaking.

I will wash the bike and check further tomorrow. Then I will take some new and better pictures.

Regardless of where the problem lies, I feel comfortable when I have your support guys.:)

#10 ·
Buy a can of the "Developer" shown in this web page (you don't need the other 2 cans):

http://www.toolcribdepot.com/webshop/Fluids/FM030.asp

Clean up the bike and then spray the "Developer" from this dye pentetrant test kit where you suspect the leak is occurring. Start the engine.
The "Developer" is a white powder that will immediately reveal a leak at its source by turning dark brown. Even a very slight leak.

This stuff is designed for a different purpose but the principal is the same. Best of all, it washes off easily and quickly with soap and water.

#11 ·
Norway, agree with all above however before applying sealant etc do check the halfs of the engine. If upper is not alligned to lower like in my case then sealant may not solve yr problem. File the 'step' and then apply sealant. My opinion. There was a thread recently about this.
P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.